Salvage-Original Sonar X3

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Salvage-Original Sonar X3

Post by voclizr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:42 pm

As with the past two, I played the piano myself on this. No fancy-schmancy EZ Keys articulations.
I wanted to do this in A, but had to go with G because my voice couldn't get high enough for the chorus.

Enjoy Salvage.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Salvage-Original Sonar X3

Post by greenA2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Nice lyrics, and you hit all the high notes vocally. The orchestration works, but the chord progression in the verse has me itching for some jazzy solo under the vocal, maybe something herbie hancock style?
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm

I like it all around. Nicely done, I enjoyed it
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:42 pm

I like the solo and how it really kicks in before the last verse. There are some interesting instruments on there that I like. I think your voice hit all the notes John.
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:37 am

Green, Bob & Lung-Thanks so much!

0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:54 pm

I love the piano playing. I like those descending low notes (left hand). Nice playing. Do you play chords (at least with right hand)? If so, are you using inverted chords or first position? Nice lyrics and vocals. Well done. I like those other instrument voices coming in at end too. Is there anything that isn't from the keyboard on this (besides drums)? Very good production. Inspiring to me since I am playing almost entirely keyboard stuff lately (although still practice the guitar a few minutes most days).

Good one V!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 pm

The Cracks wrote:Do you play chords (at least with right hand)? If so, are you using inverted chords or first position?
Thanks, Sean. Yeah, I like to explore the keyboard for chord voicings. I've found some really great ones lately. I've also been studying jazz chord construction and voicing. I use a lot of not only major and minor sevenths, but those in combination with 9th and 11th voicings. Some refer to these as "crunch chords" due to the fact that some of the notes in the chord structures are like one half or one step intervals, creating a dissonant sound. For instance, the first chord in the chorus of this song is kind of an E flat major seven chord, but instead of the usual voicing of Eb, G, Bb and D, I bring up the G one step to an A. That's the thing I love about writing with a keyboard. There's virtually no limit on voicing combinations you and come up with and experiment with. I've learned much from this little online course.

John B.
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Sounds really good. Wasn't impressed the first few listens (to the verse only) being a two chorder, but after listening more and also fully, it's well written and even better structured. First listens can make one say to themselves, a third chord please, but this grew on me after further listens. Not a big leap as far as chord structure, but you really made this work.

Like the phase/flange on the chorus vox and the instrumentation choices. Words seem good too. The chorus is the hook and the whole thing has a vintage vibe to it. Glad you got the vocal effects thing as I don't remember doubling much in the past and that can really make a track sometimes. Not missing the sound of EZ Keys either. Your playing is just fine, if not a bit more work though.
I would mix it a bit differently and spread things out more. The chorus vocal seems to be a good fit level-wise, but the verse seems too loud and that usually isn't the case with you.
And it's really only placement and levels I hear a bit differently. The best compliment I can give is a desire to put my hands to a songs mix and you've had your share of that. Hope that doesn't come off self centered.
This makes me want to start recording again.
A real fine job.

Other song:
I like this better than the last song which I never got around to review. Fun romp, but something I would more than likely skip over if I had the 'record'.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks, SGV. Vocal doubling is very important to me as well. Back when I used Samplitude I loved the Chorusing "Pedal" from the Classic Effects Suite but was disappointed to find that there isn't a very good doubler within Sonar. Back last March, I got an email from Softube about a sale they were having on their Fix Flanger and Fix Doubler. They came as a package so I got both. This is the first I used the Doubler (I used the flanger on the previous project). I also bought Waves Masurati Vocal Enhancer last month. I used that here for the chorus vocal but not the verses. I'm quite happy with the new plugins I've acquired recently.
Sungodv wrote: This makes me want to start recording again.
Which begs the question of why you stopped. You and Cracks were pretty much big inspirations to me in my early days on this forum but you've both seemed to have dropped out of the game. It's a shame, but I'm sure you both have your reasons. I hope they're not due to anything debilitating.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for piano playing info. I'm having a blast playing the keys. It's such a beautiful instrument.

I haven't dropped out. I just posted a new song and I've got two more on the stove (one needs rerecording of vocals perhaps and other just started boiling). I also did a lot of recording in 2015, but it was all my state song. I did become uninspired but I am feeling rather creative again now that I'm playing mostly piano, keys. My recording gear and PC are crappy so I hope they don't die on me just as I'm getting fired up. I will admit that I probably won't be posting 10 new songs a year, that much I can say.

I'm happy I helped inspire you in the early days. I'm not sure how but it's nice to know.

I'm listening to the song again based on Sun's high praise. It is a very clear recording.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:04 am

Supertramp comes to mind.

As I said in the last review your songs are getting more sophisticated and this is no exception.

Really well put together and it's a fine open sound :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Kudos again, Sean. Thanks Dick, for this review and "Jump". :D

I did another mix, taking SGV's advise on turning the lead vocal track down a bit.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:19 pm

Verses seem to be good, except for the ends of phrases where the words get a bit lost. Did you turn down the chorus vocals? Seems so, but I may be wrong.
There was a DVD years ago by John Merchant from the Multi Platinum Mixing series, but I can't find it anymore. If you can, get it, it's a great tutorial.
Here is a snippet:

https://youtu.be/ANrrZC6XvHc

& another:

https://youtu.be/AL-dutJvx0s
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:44 am

Sungodv wrote:Verses seem to be good, except for the ends of phrases where the words get a bit lost. Did you turn down the chorus vocals? Seems so, but I may be wrong.
Thanks for the revisit, SGV. I turned the verses down but not the chorus. I was thinking about investing $100.00 into a CA-2A compressor plugin. They say it's good for those kind of things.
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. My AC unit took a gigantic crap on me 3 days ago and it's been 90 degrees plus here since. Part finally coming in today. Good thing as they want a heat index of 109 tomorrow.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Hope you get coolish soon. I just spent an very obscene amount to replace a 53 year old AC unit and 28 year old furnace here last month.
In the vid tutorial, Merchant uses volume automation without relying too much on a comp for vocals. It's all one really needs, just time consuming...he was the Bee Gees last engineer. He uses volume automation a lot on everything that needs attention.

Listen to the vocals in this:

https://youtu.be/8tRuVcdKM9g

and/or

https://youtu.be/VMi8jSfn1mw

Freakin' perfect levels. Perfect balance to the instruments. Not too loud or too soft. Pretty much on equal footing.

Maybe you can find the DVD on eBay someday?
Last edited by Sungodv on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My Songs

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Wow! Johnny be good. I think this is the best thing I've ever heard from you. Had me tapping my feat and as usual trying to sing along. Love the instrumentation on the last chorus and the way it flowed out at the end. Your vocals were great. The only thing I did not like were the violins. Everything else was perfect. Couldn't find the place so I could download. Please advise.
0 x
Roy-Al

d.atryner
been here a while
been here a while

Post by d.atryner » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:38 am

I like your sound. Your song is interesting. Very good vocals and music.
0 x