Acoustic recording via mic

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Acoustic recording via mic

Post by BobF » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 am

I got to spend a bit of time working on acoustic recording this weekend. I'm getting close to a mic position I'm happy with. This is a Yamaha A3M recorded with an AT2035. The mic is at the rear of the sound hole, pointed at the 12th fret, roughly 8" or so out from the guitar.

There are two parts to this. The first is Take A, a single mono recording. The second part has another take (B) recorded to double the guitar part. A is 100% left, B is 100% right.

EQ is identical throughout. There is a touch of reverb on a bus that is again identical for both parts. There are no other FX.

In addition to comparing single vs doubled parts, I EQ'd this monitoring thru speaker/room correction software (IKM ARC2) that is supposed to flatten the response as an aid to mixing. With this active, a bit of the boominess specific to my environment is removed as I hear it. So ...

In addition to comments regarding differences between the two parts, I would appreciate comments on the overall tonal balance as heard on your speakers, so please tell me what you're listening thru :)

https://app.box.com/s/z9xungx9fz2e63hlfz119wvv0tjv5cw9
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Acoustic recording via mic

Post by greenA2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:58 pm

Listening on some old logitech computer speakers it sounds good, the doubling does give a chorus like effect which I guess is what you are after. Listening again on my DT 770 headphones which are the best monitoring gear I have, I can tell that in the doubled part at the very end one guitar stops ringing earlier than the other.

Was the boominess at a particular frequency? I can still hear a fair amount of "body" in the recording which might be ok for solo or guitar and voice but maybe too much for a rock mix.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks for listening green.

Yes, one of the doubled clips is cut short. That wasn't part of the experiment though :)

Mix dependent, surgical EQ would definitely be in order. Narrowing the double-tracked part instead of full-on L/R is probably more practical too.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Listening through headphones. This isn't really a song so I have nothing much to say. I'm no expert on sound. They both sounded okay to me. The second one was fuller.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:24 am

Headphones. The first seemed fuller and richer. The second seemed flatter.

I wonder if this would have fit better in the backstage forum as that's for demos etc.
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:30 am

Listened through both through Beats headphones.

I find myself wanting to hear a bit more "crispness" on the guitar. I'm thinking maybe I'd tweak the high end or mid range EQ to bring those out a bit more. Also, just a small bit of close-timed delay might help. I, myself, have been experimenting with delay used as an effect on vocals. Mind you, not a "special effect" but effect in which you are not looking to draw attention to the delay but just blend it in ever so subtly to add a bit of dimension. This may work on guitar as well.

Also wondering what are you recording it into and what doubler you are using.

:D ;)
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll keep backstage sticky for future use ...

Got it on brightness ...

The doubler I used for the 2nd pass is Cake's VX-Vocal Strip. :) It's a pretty cool plug that includes several options, including a closed-timed delay effect. Image below

For the 3rd/last section, I actually played twice and panned the takes L/R.

VX-Vocal Strip (setting from a vocal track)

0 x

BobF
dues paid
dues paid

Post by BobF » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:05 am

Sorry guys ... The version with VX-Vocal Strip as the second section is here:

https://app.box.com/s/rnyb31lpystju4inmha7b8bzynt34f7m
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:13 am

I'm hopeless at this sort of thing. I know what I like and most of these sound OK to me except the last (with the VX). It's fine as an effect and it could probably work well within the context of a song with other instrumentation but as an acoustic sound it's not my favourite.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:50 pm

I thought the second take was miles better than the first. Must confess I have no speakers/monitors (no space) only headphones but they're pretty good ones.
0 x
Roy-Al