Good Times - org/Fender acoustic/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/MX5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Good Times - org/Fender acoustic/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/MX5

Post by The Cracks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm

The best times I used to have on this forum were on Saturday mornings when the house was quiet and I was the only one up. I'd listen to other posters songs and recorded many of mine in those golden hours. Well, today I had a similar experience. I had off from work today and wrote and recorded this song all within two hours. (The difference is I did it in the early afternoon and not the morning, but I still had the house to myself for a brief few hours.)

I used a new (used) Fender acoustic guitar that I purchased to structure the song. It was cheap and I got it so I could tune it Open G, which is what this song uses. I recorded the guitar into the SP-1 mic, via the Cl1 interface, into Mixcraft 5. I added some piano and organ from the PSRE403, directly into Mixcraft 5, via Cl1 interface. (The original post discussed how I tried to bury the organ as I wasn't too confident of my performance but I have since corrected that - see post below.)

I wrote the lyrics really fast and I had in mind this forum, our friend Guy (guitarfan) and the recent election in the U. S.when writing them. The vocals were recorded in one take into the SP-1 mic, via Cl1 interface into Mixcraft 5. Everything was mixed in Mixcraft 5. It gets a little muddied in spots but overall it sounds pretty good I think.

As an aside, I want to tell you that I am currently cancer free! I start six weeks of immunotherapy next week and hopefully that will be the end of that. Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts, prayers, and comments. But this song has nothing to do with that. I just wanted to give you an update.

So, here is:

Good Times.

Thanks for any listens and comments.
Last edited by The Cracks on Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Good Times - org/Fender acoustic/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/MX5

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:28 am

I like the lyrics. Timely. You mic'ed the guitar perfectly. I think that's a hard thing to do well. I kept wishing the organ was a little higher in the mix. Overall it was a nice listen as I watched the news with the sound off.

That's great news about cancer.

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks for listen and comments, Lungfruit.

I too wished the organ were higher in the mix so I went back and did a little EQ on it and I think it worked. I realized it wasn't too bad of an organ performance so there was no need to try and hide it. It took about two minutes so I was still within my two hour self-imposed time frame.

Edit: Organ was too loud on the remix so I lowered it some for most of song but kept it up during break.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 am

We will recall.Indeed.

To the point and both uplifting and sad.

Nicely done Sean.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 am

WOW! What a cool song. Really enjoyed the back story on it and was floored to read about your cancer! I've been away far too long. fwiw I thought the mix quite even. I totally can relate to the good times we had on this forum....and the house to myself part. My son moved back into our little house so now there's three of us again. He's 25 now!
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks Dick and Surfer. I appreciate the listens and comments.

I'm glad that the mix sounds okay.

Good to see you back Surfer.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Really ironic! I used to do the same thing years ago when I first joined this forum. Mostly mornings on my off days. I sat on the living room couch with my headphones on in the wee hours of the morning and listened to the newest entries and wrote my thoughts. Seems like only last week. I love the organ sound here especially. It also sounds as though your spirits have picked up since your last song, with good reason. I'm so glad for your good news regarding the cancer. I hope and pray the situation stays favorable for you.

:^: :D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 am

Nice stripped down song, it allows the acoustic guitar to come through as an instrument with full body, not just the percussive strum you get in many recordings. Nice touches on the keyboards too. Lyrics are simple but effective and so is your delivery.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks for listen and comments V and greenA2. I appreciate it.

I am having fun playing my instruments and even recording (to a degree) again.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:21 pm

Hey Sean!

Great to see you are back into music again, and so sorry to hear about your health problems.

I like this sing a lot. It has such a positive, optimistic outlook, while still sounding like the singer carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. Almost like a mantra in the worst of times: we will remember the good times....

Interesting use of that organ in the left ear. That gives a very special sound to the song. Great strong guitar playing, and your new guitar has a really nice full and clear sound. Cool stuff!

Bye Wolfi
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks for listen and comments, Wolfi.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website