Liner Notes-Original Sonar

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Liner Notes-Original Sonar

Post by voclizr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:11 pm

I was remembering the days in the 60s when I would save up my allowance for sometimes weeks to buy a new album. For those guys here who are in my generation, I'm sure you remember the back cover of the 12" LPs usually gave the track listing and playing sequence and many times a short (sometimes not so short) little write up from somebody about the artist and the songs. Sometimes these "liner notes" as they were called, took up most of the back cover and sometimes they took up only a paragraph or two, but it's something that seemed to go away as time passed. This song remembers those days. The part about the artist "locked up in his room, strumming his guitar and writing words" refers to me in the late 70s when I started writing, but I wasn't ambitious enough to follow it through, like the artist in the song, but it was a dream of mine at one time. Anyway, hope you enjoy
Liner Notes

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Re: Liner Notes-Original Sonar

Post by surfercook » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Nice! Is this EZ-Keys or you, JB? This has a Broadway production kinda feel on intro. When the drums and bass come in it sounds really full. Cool strings too. Beautiful sound you've achieved here. I love the interlude w/the flute. My production skills have waned these past few yrs. That's why I've decided to return and try and find some inspiration. This is fitting the bill!
This is a really creative project and linear notes are sorely missed these days. But at least Pandora internet has full bios.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:39 am

You tell an interesting story here. It does have a Broadway sound to it, especially with the timing changes. That seems a bit different for you. I like it. As usual, your mix is spot on and you did not miss a note in the vocals. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Lovely instrumentation. I am guessing the first part piano is you as it fits so snuggly with the vocals.

I too feel like this is a Broadway musical piece (or, at least a rock opera).

I like the story too. Interesting idea you had here.

I used to love reading the album covers as so many other did, as you point out well. We were lucky in that we grew up in the golden age of record albums. I like the modern age's "at your fingertips" ability to listen to what I want, when I want, but nothing beat those albums.

Good one V!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 am

Nice story and instrumentation, excellent mix, it could nearly be a beatles song:P ! By the way, did you mean this widget records: https://www.discogs.com/label/323806-Widget-Records ?

I thought every verse was the notes of a different record, the first one written in the artist's bedroom in solitude before getting signed up, the second on a world tour, and the third is nearly like a 'best of' compilation
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks Marc, Lung, Sean & Green.

It was EZ Keys as per my instructions.

Oh my! There IS a Widget Records?! :shock: I spent quite a while Googling different record label names in an attempt to find one that didn't exist, but I guess it does. Oh well. I'm not changing it now. The lyrical commentary is supposed to be taken from several "notes" as just a representation of the kind of comments one would find in these write ups.

0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:40 am

voclizr wrote:Thanks Marc, Lung, Sean & Green.

I am really surprised they were EZ Keys. Sounded real to me. Nice program.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:45 pm

The Cracks wrote:
voclizr wrote:Thanks Marc, Lung, Sean & Green.

I am really surprised they were EZ Keys. Sounded real to me. Nice program.
It does sound real and that's the beautiful thing about it. It's a very well sampled piano model with a chord builder and editable preset MIDI patterns. It's like inviting a world class pianist to your session. :D
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Hey John!

Very nice! Again you build a great soundscape with those beautiful piano patterns and your creative melodies. The second verse sounded so very full and professional, I was impressed. Then again I was reminded of the Who (The Wall), with your story telling like way of singing.

Bye Wolfi
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:48 pm

You want my opinion, right? OK, the crackle is fine at the start, but I would have gotten rid of it a bit into the song...and maybe brought it back at the end.
Again, EZD sounding drums/snare. It's an OK toon, but I really think that....

All That I Know sounds like something from a Macca album. Or maybe the Beatles. Sounds very different from the usual too. That is so very cool. Is that you doing the harms or is a plug? Liked the melody loads on this tune. It's really a goodie. OG sounding chord prog as well. A cut for the album fer sure.
Anyway, looking forward to a new snare sound real soon. :P
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks, Wolfi & SGV for the listens

Sungodv wrote:You want my opinion, right? OK, the crackle is fine at the start, but I would have gotten rid of it a bit into the song...and maybe brought it back at the end.
Again, EZD sounding drums/snare. It's an OK toon, but I really think that....
Just goes to show how behind I am on the updating. I was thinking the exact same thing about the crackle effect, but I went and removed it altogether. It's on the Bandcamp but I forgot to redo the SC. Sorry 'bout that. :oops:

Sungodv wrote:All That I Know sounds like something from a Macca album. Or maybe the Beatles. Sounds very different from the usual too. That is so very cool. Is that you doing the harms or is a plug? Liked the melody loads on this tune. It's really a goodie. OG sounding chord prog as well. A cut for the album fer sure.
Anyway, looking forward to a new snare sound real soon. :P
Oh, that's the 2-songs-in-one thing I did not long ago. I didn't put that up for review, but I'm glad you checked it out anyway, and I'm glad you like it. Yeah, it is Beatlesque, especially with the tambourine. I plead guilty to the harmonies, but they didn't turn out as good as I would've liked. I'd like to use more vocal harmony in my stuff but I can't do them as good as I used to in either the singing or the mixing. As far as the snare sound, I tend to favor the EZD "deep snare" in the Jazz kit, which can be heard on "Salvage" and "Season of Tears". Now with EZD 2 I got two new kits, Vintage & Modern, which I've been experimenting with, but haven't gotten into a tune yet. But keep listening. ;) Thanks!

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:40 pm

An interesting idea for a song and you've carried it off really well.

Your songs have a very classy feel about them. Very well written and performed.

I think the one thing I'd have left out was the synth stabs after about 2 minutes and after the bridge (I do like that flute in there though - a nice change in texture and sound)

Supertramp often come to mind when I hear your songs.

Good work John :-)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here