You'll Always Be Sid Vicious To Me ~ original ~ R24

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

You'll Always Be Sid Vicious To Me ~ original ~ R24

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:45 pm

I had the lyrics to this song banging around in my brain for at least 15 years and finally something clicked this week.

As a young man of 20 my GF (now DW) and I loved "Sid & Nancy" and we used to rent a VCR ($500 deposit) and watch it on tape over and over. We loved that movie. When I watch it now it reminds of those times.

I wanted it to be a simple song; just a guitar and my voice. I may be off a note or two, but I like how that fits.

https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the ... ious-to-me

production notes:
guitar ~ Taylor 110ce -> Samson CO2 -> R24
Vocals ~ Sennheiser e822S -> R24

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!

Glenn
Last edited by Lungfruit on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: You'll Always Be Sid Vicious To Me ~ original ~ R24

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am

Nice, simple, ballad and well recorded.

I thought for sure it was going to be a rip-roaring electric tune ala' the Sex Pistols. I was very surprised to hear a rather quiet song dedicated to the actor who played Sid in the movie. The song works. Nicely played and nicely sung.

Poor Sid. He was basically just a stupid young kid who looked like a rock star and only had to act like the part, ala' Keith Richards, and it killed him. I was surprised to learn that Sid was originally a drummer in another band before joining the Sex Pistols. I'm not sure how good a drummer he was though. I know he was not a real bass player. He was all image. Sad tale.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks Sean for the listening. That is a sad tale. He seemed like a child caught up in adult world.
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:32 pm

I remember renting "Sid & Nancy". It was a good movie, even though it was disgusting at times. I'm sure the girl who played Nancy was a great actress. The character was really annoying, but if that's how she was in real life I guess the actress did her job well. Did you ever read the book that Nancy's mother put out a few years after her death? Fascinating. That girl really had big time problems. Oh well........

Your song is great. The simpler tunes are the best at capturing real feelings. What you seem to be saying is that you are a fan of Gary Oldman. He's a good actor. Very versatile in his ability to play all different types. My fav was Dr. Smith. ("The PAIN!!") :lol:

:^:
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:24 am

Nice one.
1 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:25 am

When I first read your post title I thought the song was from Nancy's point of view, a tale of love and death or something :) . Nice simple acoustic song. Merry Xmas by the way!
1 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:12 am

Nice simplistic approach, Lungy. Good you finally layed it down. Wrong notes are part of the big picture. Nice tones you're getting on that acoustic.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:51 pm

You certainly have a fresh approach to titles and songs.

I'll have to come back to listen though as Soundcloud and my old Mac do not mix and I'll need my studio Mac.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Loved it :)

Great subject for a song and very well done.

Great work!

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here