Pick Up the Pieces/Funk Cover/REAPER

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
surfercook
The Force
The Force

Pick Up the Pieces/Funk Cover/REAPER

Post by surfercook » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Wow, it really is quiet here! :? Here's a relatively strong effort from me. Stacked the most tracks in a long time. Worked pretty hard on this. Even restrung my bass. Needed it considering the strings were like 3 yrs old! Also I did a horn swell intro after my first version. The beginning was too abrupt. Then I switched up the horns from the first ver. Originally I used just the full horn section on one track but wasn't diggin' it. So I copied the midi track to two new tracks and put in individual horns(tenor sax and trumpet). Also had to correct a couple mistakes I made playing the melody on my You Rock Guitar. The horn section went easy as the were just swell chords. Then to finish it off I added a guitar solo clean. Started doing takes w/an overdriven distorted tone but opted for the clean.
Also I didn't listen to the original at all. I just went w/the chart and how I remembered the tune.
Drums (EZ)
Rhythm Gtr (Fender Studio w/wah added and routed to another track while mousing the pedal for a true wah sound)
Mute Gtr (Fender Studio)
Bass (Guitar Rig 5)
Midi Tenor Sax (First Call Horns)
Midi Trumpet (First Call Horns)
Full Horn Section (First Call Horns)
Lead Gtr (Guitar Rig 5)

Pick Up The Pieces

Pick Up The Pieces (First Ver)
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Lungfruit
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Pick Up the Pieces/Funk Cover/REAPER

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:39 am

I do like the horn swell on the 2nd version at the intro. I like the funky bass tone. It's really cool! The drums seems a little low in the mix IMHO. I listened to both of these a couple of times and something seems off with the timing. Especially the horns, almost like they are a beat off especially when the bass is there. Or maybe the horn melody is a bit slower. I don't know, but to my ears, something seems a little off though. Overall I liked the production.
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:46 pm

A very ambitious project, Marc. All in all both are good. I think the second one is the better mix. The horns on the first one sound rather flat and too loud for the production mix. Everything is much more smooth in the second one. But, frankly, I'd drop the horns and play your guitar over top of the track and call it an original. The guitar on the first one is outstanding. That was the highlight of the show for me.
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:05 am

Could use a tightening timing wise, especially in the "lead horns". As somebody stated above, they sound off beat from the rest of the band. The background horns sound better (more realistic and on tempo). It's something. People on these music forums don't seem to like MIDI horns much. :? They're very difficult to make realistic sounding. No mercy! No understanding! :lol: ;)

:^:
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Something doesn't sound right rhythmically. Not sure what's going on but the backing seems to be at odds with the melody.

Nice arrangement though. I haven't heard that for years.

Cheers

Dick
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Rhythmically something isn't right, Horns sound off beat and too straight. I haven't played this in a loooong time, but might just have to work on it again. lol

yes this is my semi annual appearance to catch up. ;)

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanx for all the listens and comments lungy, vocalizr, cracks, dickl, and omega. I understand the timing is off on this. Knew it from the start. This is a tough one. Hopefully I'll revisit it one day. :drum: :guitar: :music:
It would be interesting to hear some one else's version. I probably shoulda practiced it w/the original a bit first. Maybe I'll try that now. It's tough to get good funk right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Marc, it is a tough one. I pulled out the sheet music and I haven't played it in years, but I should dust it off. Tough to get the horn lines under the fingers when you're not used to moving that fast. LOL