"She Doesn't Play That Game"-Original-Sonar X3

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

"She Doesn't Play That Game"-Original-Sonar X3

Post by voclizr » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's another one.
https://johnbowen.bandcamp.com/track/sh ... -that-game
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=13519167

Jazz quartet sounding. Just a piano (EZ Keys), Acoustic bass (Trilian Bass Module), Drums (EZ Drummer2) a single vocal and ending with a Flugelhorn (JABB 3). I wanted it to sound like a jazz quartet in a smokey nightclub somewhere.

Enjoy.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: "She Doesn't Play That Game"-Original-Sonar X3

Post by Lungfruit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Well John if you wanted it to sound like a Jazz quartet you hit the nail on the head! On my headphones the mix sounds perfect. What I like about your songs are that although you use a lot of programs it all sounds very "human". I think you hit all the notes in your voice as well. So the flugelhorn is a program a well?

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 am

Lungfruit wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:34 pm
So the flugelhorn is a program a well?

Glenn
Thanks, Glenn. Yes. It's from Garritan's Jazz & Big Band ver.3

0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:05 am

voclizr wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm
I wanted it to sound like a jazz quartet in a smokey nightclub somewhere.

Enjoy.
Success!

It did sound like a jazz quartet and I did enjoy it.

Nice mix. It moved along smartly. Good lyrics that seemed to keep unwinding as the song progressed. That's hard to do.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:41 am

You've nailed this John :)

I like the lyrics and how they are delivered. Lovely swing feel and nice work on the bass.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks, Sean & Dick. I wasn't too happy with the vocal sound at first, but I've managed to clean it up some.
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 am

Did I not comment on this? You are very good at putting a jazzy piece together, very well done and good vocals too. Excellent attention to detail in the arrangement!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm

You had me at smokey night club. Although I def wouldn't wanna be near any cigarette smoke.
Very cool song, John. You have a marvelous jazzy style and an amazing knack for arrangements and chord progressions. That always impressed me. I would def want to see a chart for this. And I'm not talking about the pc midi score.
Sweet flugel there at the end. Really gave the tune a nice nightcap. :applause:
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks green & Marc :D
I guess I shouldn't have said "smokey" night club as most states have those types of venues smoke free now. ;)

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 am

sounds great John! Hammer meet nail.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 pm

I listened again and it totally reminds of something one would hear in a Broadway musical. Very cool. Needs a nice smooth electric hollow body jazz guitar. :guitar: ;)
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks Bill and Marc! :D
surfercook wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Needs a nice smooth electric hollow body jazz guitar. :guitar: ;)
I disagree. I wanted this tune to sound very simplistic that could be done by a small combo. To add anymore than what it has would be overproduction. ;)

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Well, artistic license is a given. But I still wouldn't mind a go at it. Been playing tons w/the newly setup ES135.
0 x