The Dancer - Logic X - original

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

The Dancer - Logic X - original

Post by dickl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I've been curiously devoid of inspiration since my erstwhile countrymen decided to commit countrycide in June last year. Considering I've spent the last 30 years writing political songs it was quite a surprise that I couldn't find a way in to a new song with so much to write about. Richard, my long-time songwriting partner, suggested going to the individual level but I was still struggling.

One of the results of the vote was a documented increase in hate crimes. There were many reports of Polish shops being attacked and several Polish (as well as other nationalities) being assaulted. My next door neighbour had a Polish friend who was abused in the street because he was speaking Polish on the phone.

My wife told me a few weeks ago over dinner that dancers from Eastern Europe working for a ballet company in the UK were concerned about their status and suddenly Richard's advice came back to me and I started to write the lyrics then and there. Tidied them up a little later and Richard gave me the last verse. I still didn't have a melody but at the weekend when I was practising piano I hit on a riff and out came the melody (or what there is of it)

For those who don't know, Polish pilots played an important role in WWII. Regarded as heroes during the war they were treated disgracefully when the war ended.

Logic 10 drum loops and keyboards, real guitar.

It was good to simply be writing and recording again.

So for better or worse.....

The Dancer (Langford/Marris)

He's a dancer not a number he's got a name.
He's here to dance, to entertain
Now you tell him in the street, go home and take your dancing feet
we're dancing to another beat and won't need you again

His grandad flew a Spitfire in the war
Helped to keep the Nazis from the English shore
First they called him hero and then showed him the door
We've beaten our old enemy we don't need you any more 

Your fathers and grandfathers won that war
Can you remember what they were fighting for?
And now it's all unravelling you've heard the weasel lies
Who's your enemy? I think they're in disguise
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: The Dancer - Logic X - original

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Dick,
Great song. I like when the guitar kicks in and piano stays in the back ground. Great use of switching up the timing. How did you do that effect around 1:00? Cool! Timely message. Well done! Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:32 am

:bow:

I'm blown away.

What a fantastic recording. Just too much going on to even comment on it all for fear I'd miss something.

Lyrics: A+
Instrumentation: A+
Vocals: A+
Recording: A+
Mix: A+

I love that electric guitar among all the other treats. What a gem this is.

Fantastic!

:clap:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:12 am

Great one, Dick. I've always liked your political songs. I hear so much opinion of what's going on over there by our own mainstream media :roll: , but it's interesting to hear it from the viewpoint of somebody who actually lives there and is in the middle of it all. I guess the Brexit thing is a matter of opinion. I've heard so many positive comments on the pending separation. I must say yours is the first negative one. But I don't live over there. I can only base my knowledge on the info others give me.

The song is great. Nicely mixed. There is much frustration in this country on how our veterans are treated by government. Seems like the people who sacrifice the most always get the most abuse by those who should be grateful. :( :evil:

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks chaps,

My first song for nearly a year I think.

Mr L: Thanks for the listen :) All the sounds (apart from the guitar) are Logic synths. I think the bit you're talking about was "Rising Starshine" or something!

Sean: Many thanks for those comments :) Although it's been a long time in coming the process of writing and recording was remarkably short for me. The lyrics took a few weeks (despite the fact there aren't many of them and even then I had to call on Richard's help to finish them) but I recorded the whole thing over the weekend. I had no idea where it was going to go but somehow it all fell together nicely. Thanks for listening and the comments :)

John: I'm surprised I'm the first person you've heard to be negative about this. It's created a divided society. Friendships and family relationships that have endure for years have been torn apart by this vote. There has a been an increase in hate crimes and a general right wing ideological rise.

We have never known anything like this and at least half the country are implacably opposed to leaving Europe but are having our views overruled by a government that seems to be driven by outside forces.

All in all it's not great over here at the moment. Maybe it will improve but the damage has been done and nothing will be the same again. We will be poorer, socially, econimically and politically. The surprising thing is that it's taken me so long to find a way into a song although it was as much about intolerance as Brexit. I'm pleased you enjoyed it and I apologise for the "rant" :)

Thanks again chaps

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:29 pm

dickl wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm pleased you enjoyed it and I apologise for the "rant" :)

Thanks again chaps

Cheers

Dick
No need to apologize (at least to me). Fact is I'm very politically minded, but I don't get too involved in it here (for obvious reasons). I wish I had the balls to write political songs but I'm afraid if I tried I'd have to hear all of the counter arguments, so I keep my music non political. But I love to hear it in your stuff. It's very educational and fascinating to me. It's interesting that Great Britain seems to be going through a similar "identity crisis" as we also are here in the US, but for different reasons

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:02 am

Mr. Langford, This song is absolutely brilliant! From the very first notes it gave me goose pimples. I knew it was going to be good. Brother, you sure didn't disappoint. The smooth rhythm and beat are outstanding. You are at the top of your form musically and vocally. Excellent writing, kudos to you and Mr. Marris. Gotta admire the topical nature of your lyrics and the backstory that tie the whole thing together. I'm so impressed by this one that I shared on Facebook. Outstanding my friend! Immediate Fave.
0 x
Roy-Al

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:34 am

Hey, thanks Roy for those generous words, that's very kind of you :)

I've realised it is the first song for a year so I'm pleased it turned out OK. Thanks for sharing on FB. I didn't realise you were on there. I'm Dick Langford if you want to get in touch.

Thanks again :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks for your thoughts John, I wish I could write love songs! I don't know why but I've never been able to. Nice to know you get something from my songs though :) An identity crisis is a good way of putting it. The whole world is going a little mad and most of the time I feel we have very little control. Writing songs is one of my ways of dealing with it.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:10 pm

WOW! Glad I caught this one! This is the most powerful thing I've heard from you since "Dark Angel", and it's going on the shelf right next to it. Your voice is reminding me of vintage Genesis w/Peter Gabriel. Very powerful and polished sounding production and you certainly haven't lost you touch after all this time. I love that club sounding drop out effect into the key change. That was awesome! And your guitar sounds so perfect performance wise and tonally. What is that tone?! :guitar: :clap:
Sometimes I wonder if I still have the same musical fortitude I used to hold. I definitely lost a fair amount of the technical knowledge for recording, but at least I still play regularly. Guess that's probably more important.
Oh, interesting back story to this song. I'm fascinated w/anything WW2.
Last edited by surfercook on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 am

Well done, I especially like the spidery notes in the background. A creeping impending doom. Nice work as always.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks fellas,

Mr H: Thanks for the comments. I'm still angry about what's happening to the UK and the way we're treating those who come here to live and work. Where it all ends up is anybody's guess but I doubt that it will be pretty. The guitar is my Strat through a patch called "Arena Ready" in Logic. One of the problems with these modern DAWs is that there is too much choice. Not only are there dozens of presets each of those presets are infinitely programmable as well! I just run through them until I find something suitable. I think practising and playing are far more important than worrying about techincal aspects of recording :)

Mr Z: Thanks, impending doom is something I feel most of the time now :(
0 x