Through The Storm-Original Sonar X3

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Through The Storm-Original Sonar X3

Post by voclizr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Please excuse yet another post from me. I really wanted to share this with you.

As many of you know, I lost my first wife to cancer a little more than 3 years ago. A few days ago I was playing around with a chord progression and the first idea that jumped out at me was a song about losing your love to death. The day before she passed I was so much in shock and disbelief that I didn't say these things to her on her death bed. I reasoned at the time that since she was heavily sedated (in "comfort mode" as she told me earlier not to allow the hospital to use extraordinary measures to keep her alive and just let nature take its course) that she could not hear me anyway. People have told me since that she probably could have heard me and understood me. For so long I regretted not having talked more to her at that moment. The lyrics in this song are what I wish I would've said to her on that day. A loving farewell to the love of my life for more than 30 years, a wish I could see her one more day to tell her these things, and a hope that she does now know.

Through The Storm
The Soundclick here

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Through The Storm-Original Sonar X3

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am

I was just sitting down to play my piano and decided to stop by the forum first.

Nice song, V. A lovely ballad in honor of your first wife. I wouldn't beat yourself up over whether she would have heard you or not. There is no evidence for certain either way. I would actually bet people usually can't hear. Can you imagine how horrible it would be to by lying there hearing everything people were saying and you couldn't respond? Not me. But that's just my opinion. Others may have opinions and many may have stories that prove me wrong. I'm not a doctor, scientist or priest, and I'm not even that good of a songwriter/musician. :music:

Anyway, back to the song. The piano is nice. That's a neat program. The drums fall into place perfectly. Nice musical buildup with strings towards end. The lyrics and vocal deliver are good too. If your wife can hear the song now I'm sure she is thankful to you.

Good one.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am

John,
Nice piano work. Your vocals fit it perfectly. Keeping it dry adds to the plaintive nature of it. Nice melody. The build up is interesting. It kept me wanting to listen. Seems like a fitting tribute to your wife. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 am

It took me 4 years to write a song for my wife who also died of cancer. I also regret not saying what I felt at the time but as Sean says try not to beat yourself up about it :(

A lovely song John and that's a fine memory to have.

Very nicely put together. Lyrics and melody are excellent.

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks all. I just wish now I would've spent more time with her on that last day, but I was feeling that I may never be able to tear myself away. I hate long and tearful goodbyes, especially when you know they're going to be final. But I can't get off of my mind what she might've been thinking, in pain and fading away, if she could've heard me. I pray I didn't disappoint her. :(
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:30 pm

She knows now John, she knows.
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 am

Like the song and the melody you put on the prog.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks, Bill & Steve.

:D
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Beautiful ballad. You really have a knack for progressions and arrangements. Guessing this is EZ Keys. I couldn't imagine playing piano like that. My keyboard has been in storage for yrs now. Def miss it. This is a strong effort and a lovely tribute to your poor wife. Cancer sucks, can't even imagine what you her went through. :(
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube