Jolly England - original Logic X

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

Jolly England - original Logic X

Post by dickl » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Not too much going on here and as I've only posted one song in a year .............

When I was in Spain in September staying with my old mate, Graeme "Amokopera" Hobbs, he came up with a new song about England. Just the first verse and the chorus.

7 months later and I managed to write some more lyrics and an arrangement. Only two chords in this one :shock:

After the Brexit vote we suddenly found England was a less welcoming place to anyone "foreign" with a rise in race hate crimes and a general rise in the level of racial abuse (which I covered in my last song).

It also saw a backlash against the so-called liberal elite by the gutter press. Those are the sort of ideas which were driving this song.

Jolly England © 2017 Hobbs/Langford
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Jolly England - original Logic X

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Dick,
The driving beat got me right away. Interesting times we are living and your subject is timely. I like the drums. I like solo, seems almost Indian influenced. Mixed well.

Glenn

P.S. I love Spain
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Hard political rock. I love it! What's that cool synth sound in the background? Making me wanna plug in! This is pro, Dick and those drums are sweet. Heavy subject and gtr solo! Hate crimes are lame. :evil:
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 am

Interesting times indeed Glenn but tbh I'd rather back to the boring days.... Thanks for the comments. The drums were mostly loops in Logic and the solo was just a few notes as I didn't want to overcomplicate it! Graeme lives in Spain and if you ever go you could call in and see him ;) Case Zalama

I don't know if this link will work for you (I haven't got access to the original so I've downloaded it from FB) but it's from the same session we started Jolly England : Start to Love Over It was recorded via a pinhole camera and it's back to front and I'm not really left handed!

Thanks Marc, tough times at the moment but my muse is starting to spark again after 7 months. Another is in the pipeline... The synth is just an arpeggiator in Logic. I was aware it was only two chords so wanted to fill it out a bit :)
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Great recording and great song, Dick. Very pro sounding. I love the simplicity of the driving beat and guitar. Great lyrics. Vocals straight forward. Powerful drums.

Good stuff.

Dang, the other link you provided doesn't work.

#1 on the Soundclick chart too. :rock:
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:07 am

Thanks Sean, much appreciated :)

Here, try this link Start to Love Over

Cheers

Dick

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:27 am

dickl wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:07 am
Here, try this link Start to Love Over
Still doesn't work Dick. Maybe it's my computer?
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:09 am

I thought it was going to be fairly punk to start with, then the beats come in and take it in a slightly different direction. Well written lyrics and good production, though politically I'm finding it hard to agree with either of the two sides.
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:29 am

Sean: The link is working for me. It's to a Facebook post and according to FB you don't even have to be registered to see it but maybe that's not the case.

G: Thanks for the listen and comment. I honestly didn't know how it was going to turn out! I try to comment on things as I see them. We're all facing some very difficult and worrying times. Let's hope we all come out of it in one piece :(

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Very intense. Your music makes me glad I don't live over there (at least now). But the current political climate over here is quite unnerving as well. Oooh, if only I could write political songs.............

:^:
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 am

Thanks John but as I've said before we need love songs even more at the moment and I can't write them!

I'm not sure there are many places which feel safe in the current climate :(

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Dick