4/17 RE-DO!!Get In Line(Orig)/FX100/REAPER

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
surfercook
The Force
The Force

4/17 RE-DO!!Get In Line(Orig)/FX100/REAPER

Post by surfercook » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Two fer here...both under 3 mins and through my new FX100 pedal board.
The first is the pedal board D/I pc which yielded some funky artifacts. There's a popping or something going on. Odd because my first RECing(Beach Party) yielded beautiful results. Hoping for a redo. I really studied this piece. Very sweet changes, melody, and bass line. All charted out in one of my Real Books. All tones off the pedal board.

"Don't Shoot The Messenger"

The second RECing is the pedal board into the UX2 interface. It eliminated the artifacts, but it's an extra step. I tested out the pedal itself on this one. Both vol and wah delivered nice results. Again all tones off the fx100.

"Get In Line"

4/26- Tightened her up...I think. Full redo here from scratch. Added an elec piano doubled w/the gtr swell. Also a piano solo.

Get In Line(ver2)
Last edited by surfercook on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Lungfruit
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Don't Shoot(Cov)/Get In Line(Orig)/FX100/REAPER

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Hey Marc,
Ya I hear the popping in "messenger". It almost seems like a bad cable or something. It's a nice upbeat piece and the mix is good. I don't have an ear for jazz, but your original sounds pretty good. I like the lead guitar alot. The rhythm gets buried quite a bit, but maybe you planned it that way. If you are programming those drums it's a damn good job of it. Nice work. Glenn
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Good playing on both, Marc. I heard the popping too. At first it blended in but then became obvious it wasn't supposed to be there.

Nice jazz. You can really swing that ax. Good job.
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:25 am

Nice tone and clean playing Marc.

The rhythm on the second one is a bit busy for me but the guitar is sounding good. A very well written tune.

Cheers

Dick
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 am

I agree with Dick, the rhythm on the second is far too busy, and sounded out of time (maybe just because it was too busy.) Your playing is stellar as always.

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:07 am

Hey surfercook. Shame about the cable noise or whatever it was, I like John Scofield's music. I have 'A go go' on cd, his collaboration with the brilliant Martin, Medeski and Wood. Your playing is good nevertheless, and nice backing track, did you program/play it yourself? I agree 'get in line' is not as gelled together rhythmically, but nice tune and you get all the sounds right, reminds me a bit of 80s for some reason, might be the bass and rhythm guitar combination.
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Thanx greenie, Mega, dickl, Cracks, and lungy for listening to my most recent RECs. Hoping to develop some more sounds soon!
"Swingin' that ax", Cracks! lol...I love that term!
greenA2 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:07 am
and nice backing track, did you program/play it yourself?
I'm assuming you are speaking of 'Don't Shoot". I'm glad you asked. I started w/the rhythm gtr auditioning drum patterns and built from there first adding the lead, then the bass, which was an amazing treat once I learned the charted bass line. Reading bass clef is challenging. The bass really added a beautiful feel to it that I felt made the entire piece come together. I added the organ last as kind of a secondary instr, although it does solo quickly right at the end. I really need to redo a longer ver.
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Damned Soundclick garbage! :twisted:
I listened to the first one, and your "Pick Up The Pieces" played after it and I clicked on the second one and I thought "Hey. Didn't he post that before"? But I heard the other one playing under it, so I just opened the second in a fresh browser page. I like your performance on the first one, but I liked the second song better musically. Your performance wasn't bad on the second. Just tighten up your timing a bit.

:^:
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: 4/17 RE-DO!!Get In Line(Orig)/FX100/REAPER

Post by dickl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Yes, it feels a lot better and the playing is good. It's an ambitious piece rhythmically and the bass seems a little too busy on occasions but it's a complex tune that must have demanded a lot of you!
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:06 am

Yes, definitely sounds good now. Quite ambitious arrangement, I agree with dick. I like the funky feel.
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am

I went with that newest link. That was really great. Outstanding keys playing too. Wonderful layered guitars. I like the wa-wa guitar in there too. Excellent recording Marc.
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Lungfruit » Mon May 01, 2017 5:42 am

Marc,
I listened again this morning and maybe there was some glitch in Soundclick the other day but the drums seem right on! I'm liking this more and more! Glenn
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm

dickl, greeny, Cracks, and lungy...thanx for the relisten on the redo! I appreciate it. While I'm happier w/the overall production of ver two I can't help but liking my lead track on the orig. There's just something about the spontaneity, tone, and improvisation that really set's it apart from ver two. I guess that's what improvisation is all about. Also I really like the wah on the first ver when it first comes in.

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Mon May 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Funky stuff :)

Suggestion: at some point, after the intro I'd leave out the funky basic guitar panned at the left. It kind of competes with what is going on at the right. (Also, I was kind of waiting for the vocals to kick in).

Appreciate the production quality.

Cheers!