War with Spain - orig, Logic X

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

War with Spain - orig, Logic X

Post by dickl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

I know it's not long since I posted two other songs but I have another song that could be irrelevant in a few weeks so I'm posting it now.

Some of you may have seen some of our more demented politicians advocating going to war with Spain over Gibraltar.

Since the vote to take us out of the EU I've woken most nights wondering "how did that happen and what's going to happen now?" A few nights ago I woke up with a song almost fully formed in my head. When I got up in the morning it was still there so I recorded it as quickly as I could. No re-recording, no rewriting, no real mixing. I guess it took an hour or so. I've never done that before and probably won't again. Hopefully the song will will never become reality.

For those who don't know European history, 1585 was the date of another Anglo-Spanish war. The countries mentioned are the smallest in Europe (except Spain, France and Germany of course ;) )

War with Spain © Dick Langford 2017

I hear we're going to war with Spain
It's 1585 again
And while we're there we'd take the chance
And cross the border into France
We're having so much fun you see
next on the list is Germany

Hang on though Spain isn't small
We need a place more suitable
I've had a think and now's the time
For declaring war on Lichtenstein
Luxembourg we could attack
We'll soon get our Empire back

Here we go, here we go, here we go
Andorra's next then Monaco
And if that goes well and all is grand
We'll march right into Switzerland
Is this not what you voted for?
Did you not want another war?
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Re: War with Spain - orig, Logic X

Post by greenA2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi Dick, this is the punk rocker I was expecting last time. The quick writing and recording must have helped with the punk feel.

Switzerland is not that small, they have military service there, not advisable :P
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Outstanding recording Dick. I really love the Bo Diddley beat to it. How did you find drums that would go with that? Amazing. Great lyrics. Very raw. I really love the guitar solo during the break. Superb playing. You're a master. I wouldn't worry about how long this took you to write and record. It's top notch whether it took an hour or a week. Good one! (And I wouldn't worry about how much you post. I think the general rule of thumb these days is just comment on other songs (which you always do) and post away!)
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Need the "Full Editor' for this one! :guitar: :drum: :clap: It sounded like The Who's "Magic Bus" at first. You so reminded me of Kieth Moon too..ya heavy Brit Boy! :P Sweet track but I woulda liked it a touch longer and a smoother ending. Sure glad the USA ain't on your list!
Your dual guitar leads are unreal! :guitar: :guitar: I love doing that! You're making me wanna post a song I studied yrs ago where I tracked a lead, then tracked a second w/the first muted and did the mix w/both. It's a jam track from a Hendrix song book w/jazz arrangements. I was so taken by this composition. Had such a beautiful sound that backing track. I could only find the track in one of my videos. Can't remember where the heck I uploaded the audio only. Pretty sure the title is "Have You Ever Been(To Heaven)"? I would love to revisit this song.
A Day At Deep Cove
https://youtu.be/3s4W8r9vvL4?t=3m4s
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 pm

The vocal reminded me of Gary Brooker (Procol Harem). It's interesting that you're turning your creativity towards the political situations over there now, but your music was always politically dominated. You and Graeme are quite good at that. It takes a special kind of songwriting talent.

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio (RIP), Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks folks. A bit rough but it makes a change for me to do anything quickly.

Mr G: The speed did help, I didn't think about it too much. In my head it was an acapella doo-wop song! Thanks :) Much appreciated.

Sean: Thanks for those comments, you are too kind. The drums were simple loops in Logic that I stumbled on by accident once I'd started channeling Bo Diddley! It was quite liberating not to overthink it and just throw down the tracks pretty much live. I must try it again sometime although I have no idea when...

Marc: Magic Bus? That can't be bad, thanks ;) The solo was through a slap back echo effect called Brighton Slapback with a very short one time delay making it sound double tracked. I hadn't used it before and only picked it because I live in Brighton! Sheer luck. If I had done my normal pre-recording routine of rewriting lyrics, finding a bridge and a chorus it probably would have been longer but I just went with the moment. Deliberately abrupt at the end! Nice picking btw :)

John: Thanks, Gary Brooker eh :-) Yes, we have generally been quite political! As I've said before I'd like to write a love song but can't. One day maybe but in the meantime ....
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 pm

dickl wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:29 am
The solo was through a slap back echo effect called Brighton Slapback with a very short one time delay making it sound double tracked. I hadn't used it before and only picked it because I live in Brighton! Sheer luck
I love when I stumble on an effect and it clicks.
I found the backing track to that song I posted here. It is indeed "Have You Ever". Here's the backing track on my 4shared. I'll try and find the chart and toss it over to ya!
https://www.4shared.com/mp3/g3TPnYIB/07 ... _been.html
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:21 am

An interesting arrangement!

Don't worry about the chart as I probably wouldn't be able to spend any time with it but thanks for thinking of me.
0 x

elmerlang

Post by elmerlang » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I enjoyed it but wish you’d done more to mess with that old standard rock bottom, twisted it a little maybe
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks Elmer. This was written and recorded in an hour or so and I just wanted to get my thoughts down as soon as I could. Normally I'd spend weeks rewriting, tweaking, recording and mixing so it was a bit of a departure for me!
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:22 am

It's magic when a song just pops up and begs to be recorded, isn't it. Wonder sound as always. I like the lo-fi edge you have in your voice. Interesting guitar solo.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks Jim. My apologies for the delayed response!

This is probably one of the few times I've had this happen with a song and I don't expect it will happen again.

Thanks for the listen and comment :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x