In Time - org/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/Mixcraft 5/BnB

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

In Time - org/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/Mixcraft 5/BnB

Post by The Cracks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 pm

I had the house alone for a little while this afternoon and I wanted to record a song so I did this one. It took just under an hour. The only requirement I had was the song had to be short and this one comes in a 2:06.

I took a New Age Band-in-the-Box track and just let it play and I wrote up a basic piano track on my PSRE403. I then recorded the piano piece into my Mixcraft 5 via the Cl1 interface.

I then wrote up some quick lyrics while thinking about the decline of my city (Baltimore). More and more people are moving out of the city and more and more people are dying. We just had our 101st murder so far in 2017. We haven't had this many murders this early in the year for 20 years, ever since the "The Wire" days.

But after the first verse was done I just started writing to the melody. It's a rather pretty melody I think.

I then recorded the vocals into the Mixcraft 5, via the SP-1 mic, via the Cl1 interface.

I then mixed all the tracks. I admit there may be too much reverb but I was after a dreamy sound.

Anyway, that's it. My wife will be home any minute now with dinner (she just texted me) and I am wrapping this one up!

Here is:

In Time

Thanks for any listens and comments.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: In Time - org/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/Mixcraft 5/BnB

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Sean,
Nice little piece there. Your voice is in a little higher range - I like it. I like the upbeat lyrics. Nice clean & clear recording.

So how long did this take? A couple of hours? Good job in that short of time! That would be a good 12 or more hours for me.

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 pm

This is simply beautiful. I don't think I've ever heard your voice sound so perfect and pristine. Kinda the opposite of Tom Waits. Sad piece you put togeth and I'm sorry your beloved city is so sad now. btw- I watched the entire series of The Wire...heavy sh!t.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Simple, effective and powerful.

You manage to say a lot in a short time and few words.

As Marc and Glenn said, your voice is quite different on this. Smoother and, dare I say it, with a hint of hope.

Lovely work Sean, more power to your elbow.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:48 pm

Thank you so much for listens and comments. I was afraid the song may be a bit sissified or pretentious. I knew the melody was rather pleasing but I didn't know how the rest of it would be received, so again, thank you.

Lungfruit - Thanks for listen and comments. The song took me just about an hour. A little less actually. I thought about tweaking it some today but I wanted to do a song fast (this qualifies) and short (this qualifies), so I'm going to leave it alone. I can keep this hobby/craft/art going for a while longer I think as long as it doesn't become laborious, which these types of recordings aren't.

surfer - Thanks so much for the listen and comments. I had to quiet smoking :twisted: due to illness and I think that's helped my voice gain some clarity. Yes, it's a shame what's happened to Baltimore.

Dick - Thank you for listen and comments. I appreciate it very much. Yes, I wanted the song to be brief and to the point. I'm glad it seems to have worked.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 am

I like the simple arrangement, fits the simple melody. It could even work with only voice and piano. Well done.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 am

Thank you for listen and comments, greenA2. I appreciate it. I tested it with just vocal and piano and almost went with it but I've done a few like that recently and I wanted to add just a little more spice this time
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

One of your best (if not the best) vocal deliveries I've heard from you! :applause:
0 x

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Mon May 08, 2017 3:18 pm

(Ha! And going through the earlier comments, I see I am not the only one who thinks this). :)
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Thank you M.T. for listen and comments. I appreciate it!

Heading over to hear your latest.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

M.T.Pilot
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by M.T.Pilot » Sun May 14, 2017 1:00 pm

If I were you, I would seriously consider continuing in the direction that you've taken your latest vocal delivery, Cracks.
0 x

elmerlang

Post by elmerlang » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 pm

I thot that was very fine, excellent tone with the song, confident delivery, a pretty original take on a certain kinda of dreaminess. Exvcellent all round
0 x

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:37 am

Like the the atmosphere of this song, maybe a bit reverb heavy yeah but fits the mood!

Really wanted it to build up and the drums to come crashing in haha

Vocals are nice in that singing range.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:42 am

The simple production matches the mood of the song. The piano has a very pleasing sound. Like the thought you expressed in your singing and I like your singing. Another poster said this is a good direction for you to follow. If this poster means creating reflective songs I agree 'cause this song gives every indication you're good at it.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:26 pm

I listened to this one and "I Will Be Back". Liked them both but I liked this one more. The song is very peaceful. The message is great, but in this day and age the "love and peace" message doesn't seem to carry as much weight as it did in the 60s and 70s. People today are much too selfish and ignorant to take it in.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the song. You have a way with words.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Sean!

This is beautiful! You have hit a great sound here with the combination of the new age track and the piano. And I fully agree that your vocals sound great in this higher register. Very emotional and pretty.

Bye Wolfi
0 x