Metaphoric Bullet - Logic X- original

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

Metaphoric Bullet - Logic X- original

Post by dickl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 am

My latest about the idiotic decision to leave the EU. Driven by a mixture of ignorance, lies and fear.

Written with long time collaborator Richard Marris.

Not my best mix but I got fed up with tinkering.

All the reasons people in the song gave for leaving have either been said to me or were picked up from the internet. I'll post a link when I can find it again.

Reasons To Leave

Metaphoric Bullet © 2017 Langford/Marris
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Metaphoric Bullet - Logic X- original

Post by Lungfruit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Dick,
I love the 80s feel of the guitar. The reverb is killer. The 80s feel continues with the political lyrics. Reminds me of Midnight Oil. (remember them?). Anyway it's a catchy tune and I enjoyed listening to it.

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Eerie vibe. Very haunting. I love the steely electric guitars that weave in and out. Apocalyptic. Your sentiments are captured perfectly in the music. And, if there was any mistaking what you meant, the lyrics nail it. Well written (hat's off to both of you). I am no mixing expert so I'll just say it all sounded good to me.

Good one Dick (and Richard).
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 am

Sounds good. Sometimes the drums and guitar ever so slightly slide out of sync but barely (feel harsh even mentioning it). Marybeth the bass could be a bit more lower end , sounds a bit picky but maybe that's the sound you were going for?

What were the drums made/recorded with?

Singing fits the style of the song with some nice occasional harmonies

The composition is nice with a nice flow and interesting lyrics. I like the ending, very sparse effective use of silence.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:24 am

Thanks for the responses guys and my apologies in my own delayed reply.

Marc: It was all based around a single riff and the effect made it a little more interesting. Thanks for the listen and comment.

Sean: The lyrics almost wrote themselves. The metaphoric bullet came to me in the middle of the night when I woke up with the idea that longstanding friendships were effectively ended by folks who voted to leave. A metaphoric bullet in the head so to speak. Many of us who voted to remain will neither forgive or forget them. It's very sad but I'm so angry I have nothing to say to those who voted to leave. It's not politics, this is far more fundamental and we are heading for a catastrophe unless something major happens. I appreciate the listen and comments.

ps02: Thanks for the listen and thoughtful comments. The guitars have a lot of delay effects so although the delay should be in sync maybe it's not always perfect. Drums were modified Logic drum loops. I normally use my fingers to play bass but I tried some thumb slap to give it more attack as my normal style was getting lost in the wash of reverb.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

still_fiddlin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Very neat song - but you failed to rile us up and break the non-political commandment ;)

What reverb and delay did you use on the vocal? I know it was part of the mood, but it seemed to just muddy it up a bit. Any pre-delay on the verb? (Of course, it could be my bad ears that are used to a different kind of English...)

It's been suggested to me that I might investigate the quantizing stuff in Logic X to help align things. I do use the flex-time when I have something that just sticks out, but I think a lot of listeners today have heard so much stuff that is predominantly loops/midi/electronic and so perfectly sync'd that there's a little bit of expectation with recorded (vs. live) music. I haven't done it yet, but will probably experiment on my next mini-project. Have you looked into that?
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Ha! Thanks for the listen and comment and my apologies for not being around!

It's just a patch in Logic that I liked. I think it may have been "Warm Vocal" and I thought it fitted the song. I don't know whether there was pre-daly I'm afraid.

As far as I am aware quantizing only works on midi tracks and not audio ones. I use it a lot on my software tracks (although there aren't any on this one) You can use flex time to drag sounds "into time" although I've never managed to work out how to use it properly.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

still_fiddlin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm

dickl wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 pm
It's just a patch in Logic that I liked. I think it may have been "Warm Vocal" and I thought it fitted the song. I don't know whether there was pre-delay I'm afraid.

As far as I am aware quantizing only works on midi tracks and not audio ones. I use it a lot on my software tracks (although there aren't any on this one) You can use flex time to drag sounds "into time" although I've never managed to work out how to use it properly.
I really have gotten semi-addicted to using Space Designer reverb plugin and putting it on a bus. I find a "space" that kind of describes what I'm trying to emulate and fiddle with that a little, then use the bus send for pretty much every track to control how much reverb each one has.

You can use quantizing on audio tracks, at least on the latest versions I've had on my system. (I'm playing with it now on a new project - slow learning...) You can quantize to the tempo (probably only works if you've recorded to a click) or to another track. It's not perfect, depending on what it decides you're trying to hit, e.g., was that transient supposed to be on the beat or a 16th before, but does a lot of cleanup that would take a long time manually if you've got something that's consistently off, and not some latency artifact.

For Flex Time, I always use either monophonic mode (for something like a bass or vocal) or polyphonic for everything else. It's a little tedious but if you've got one or two transients that are sticking out and you can't stop noticing them, it's worth the trouble.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 am

Thanks, I hadn't realised there was a quantisation option on the latest version. I had to look for it as it's not very obvious. I might even give it a try.

Space Designer is incredibly powerful but I tend not to play with it as I just get a pre-set I like and use that.

Similarly I don't use flex either. I've tried a few times and even watched some videos but never managed to get it to do what I wanted and often either left it or re-recorded the part!

I've been using Logic for 10 years or so and I barely scratch the surface of what it's capable of.

Cheers

Dick
0 x