Dying Of The Light - iPhone/GarageBand/LogicX - Cover

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Dying Of The Light - iPhone/GarageBand/LogicX - Cover

Post by ps02 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 pm

So I thought I would post something . Used to use a ps-02 so I thought this forum was a good place to start.

A cover of a Noel Gallagher song to start with, just guitar and vocals. Did it in 2 takes, first acoustic guitar followed by the vocals.

Recorded using the mic on my iPhone through GarageBand and then mixed down in Logic X.

Dying Of The Light
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Dying Of The Light - iPhone/GarageBand/LogicX - Cover

Post by The Cracks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for listen and comments on my song. I appreciate it.

I like this. I've never heard this one before so I'll have to Youtube it.

The guitar was very nicely recorded. The vocals via iPhone mic were good but they need some Eq to bring them up in the mix. Not up in volume but more into the room as they sounded like you were a little distant. But it worked with this song. I'm not sure it will with every song.

All in all a nice recording to listen to. More like it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for listening.

I take on board what you said about bringing out the vocals with eq. I guess I got away with it on this recording but will use a bit more higher end in future.

Hopefully in future I will have more than a iPhone mic to record with!
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Nice clean recording. Your acoustic is bright and articulate. I don't know this song but I like it. Your voice is easy to listen to. Do you have an effect on it? It seems to break up a bit sometimes like at 1:08. Maybe that's intentional. I can't tell. It's a good song! Nice work.

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Nice playing and singing. It's respectable demo quality especially given it was recorded on a phone, though I'd like to hear you recorded through better gear!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:20 am

Longfruit -

I can't think of any major effects I might of used to cause that, just slight reverb/Echo and overdrive (very slight).

GreenA2 - glad it came out ok, I would like to record something properly but unfunatly I don't have the gear atm. Main purpose of this was to put something out there and see how it was received. It's been a while since I recorded something so wasn't overly confident.

Thanks for listening!
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 am

As Green said, nicely played and sung and I'd like to hear it recorded properly.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

still_fiddlin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by still_fiddlin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Nicely done!

I'm with the others about doing this (again, or something new) with some upgrades. Maybe look into a plug-in mic for the iPhone and a stand so you can play with mic position esp. for acoustic guitar, and even consider doing the recording in a treated or perhaps less lively room (closets are sometimes good for vocals), then you can use reverb fx to bring some [controlled] space back in.
0 x