Life On Mars - iPhone/GarageBand/LogicX - Cover

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Life On Mars - iPhone/GarageBand/LogicX - Cover

Post by ps02 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 am

Here's my next effort! A cover of Life On Mars by David Bowie.

Quite hard to sing and also tricky to play on acoustic guitar (it being entirely composed using piano chords I would of thought) but I gave it a go.

As before recorded using the mic on my iPhone through GarageBand (one track of guitar and one track of vocals) and then mixed down in Logic X.

Life On Mars

Thanks!
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Life On Mars - iPhone/GarageBand/LogicX - Cover

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:20 am

The guitar track is nice but the vocal track is a little bit muffled.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Well arranged acoustic cover. I'm not much of a Bowie fan but this has the makings of a nice acoustic cover. Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:03 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:20 am
The guitar track is nice but the vocal track is a little bit muffled.
Thanks for listening.

I agree it is a bit muffled.

I have remixed and uploaded it.

I keep worrying I have the vocals to high in the mix though?

Thanks for listening also Jim_Fogle. Please listen to my remix if you have time.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 am

Hmm...I think the vocals may be a tad bit high in remix. The problem wasn't the Eq on the vocals in the original (or even the remix, for that matter), it's the quality of the iPhone mic recording. I think it can only be so good. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. The first recording was the better of the two and it was fine for what it was. Are you having fun making the recordings? That's half the game. Give some of my crap a listen. There is no way you can honestly say the quality of many of my recordings are anywhere near average amateurish efforts. But they were fun (for the most part) producing.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:22 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 am
Hmm...I think the vocals may be a tad bit high in remix. The problem wasn't the Eq on the vocals in the original (or even the remix, for that matter), it's the quality of the iPhone mic recording. I think it can only be so good. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. The first recording was the better of the two and it was fine for what it was. Are you having fun making the recordings? That's half the game. Give some of my crap a listen. There is no way you can honestly say the quality of many of my recordings are anywhere near average amateurish efforts. But they were fun (for the most part) producing.
Ok, I have re-uploaded another mixed where I am taken back some of the volume and EQ hopefully that improves it a bit?

Definitely having fun recording, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.

This is all good practice for when I do get proper recording equipment and want to sound a bit more professional.

Thanks
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:49 pm

I didn't hear the first mix, but I like this one. Nice tone on the guitar. Do you have an effect on your voice? Nice job on those long notes on Mars!
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Lungfruit wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:49 pm
I didn't hear the first mix, but I like this one. Nice tone on the guitar. Do you have an effect on your voice? Nice job on those long notes on Mars!
Thanks for listening. What do you mean effect on my voice? It has Eq, reverb, little bit of overdrive. I hope the singing is ok!
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:25 pm

ps02 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:50 pm
Lungfruit wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:49 pm
Thanks for listening. What do you mean effect on my voice? It has Eq, reverb, little bit of overdrive. I hope the singing is ok!
Yes, I can hear the overdrive. It's just enough. Your vocal performance is right on.
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 pm

This come again when I just putzing around in my studio and it's a good sounding tune!
0 x

sammymic
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sammymic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 am

NIce arrangement!

The vocal way too autotuned... needs to be more subtle and done manually...

Acoustic Guitar performance very solid!
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:46 pm

I like your work, but the vocals sound distorted a bit in some spots. The guitar sounds fine. You say you recorded the vocal on an iphone mic. This is my big concern about the coming trend with recording on small devices. If the practice becomes widespread I hope the equipment gets better.

:^:

EDIT-I did let the next song on your Soundcloud play (Dying of the Light). The vocals sound much better on this tune IMO.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp