Stuck In The Middle With You - Zoom H6/H2 Logic X - R&R cover

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Stuck In The Middle With You - Zoom H6/H2 Logic X - R&R cover

Post by still_fiddlin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm

This one actually was done at home with some of my former co-workers ("the kids") who come over once in a while and wake me from my retirement napping. We pick some songs to try to cover and generally have a good time murdering tunes ;) .

This song is from one of those jams a couple months back. Guitar & bass were going through the amps with vocals and drums going out a Bose L1 Compact, so the capture was done using a mic splitter, amp emulated out and headphone out for drums. One guitar was just captured direct before going into the MicroCube, and so used an amp sim plugin from Logic to get close to what was coming out of the MicroCube. I.e., while it was a "live" recording, it was all "direct."

The H6 was used for everything but the drums were recorded with the H2 (thought I'd need the H6 channel for something else). Afterwards, it was all dumped into Logic X Pro for mixing.

Stuck In The Middle With You (SoundCloud link)
0 x

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Stuck In The Middle With You - Zoom H6/H2 Logic X - R&R cover

Post by ps02 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 am

Good clear recording and it has a nice 'live' sound with plenty of energy.

Vocals could be slightly more prominent but they definitely audible and well recorded/sung.

Great cover!
1 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 am

Sounds good, ever done any Roy Orbison? I think you could pull it off.
1 x

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 am

Omegaman wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 am
Sounds good, ever done any Roy Orbison? I think you could pull it off.
I was also hearing a bit of Roy Orbison in there.
0 x

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Well, not me singing, and the singer already has us playing tuned down to Eb, so I think R.O. might require some research to find something that doesn't rely too much on the really high stuff! But, personally, the more rockabilly-leaning style is where I can get pretty comfortable, since I'm primarily an acoustic player. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find something for the next jam to try.

Thanks for the listens and comments!
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Hey this is great, well played and clear recording! Look forward to more. Did you not get any funny phasing effects when you mixed the H6 tracks to the H2 tracks? I got that sort of thing with older systems, I guess the zooms have good enough clocks to work together even without any syncing.
1 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:11 pm

greenA2 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 pm
.... Did you not get any funny phasing effects when you mixed the H6 tracks to the H2 tracks? I got that sort of thing with older systems, I guess the zooms have good enough clocks to work together even without any syncing.
Well, with everything direct, there's effectively no bleed at all, so phasing, even if there's a tiny bit of clock drift, just doesn't seem to be a problem. This song is short enough I didn't worry about, and certainly can't hear, any drift or differences in the clocks.

I think these days it's only something to worry about if you're going on TV, or maybe if you were recording something really long, and then you'd use something like the F8 (i.e., semi-pro or better) that lets you sync its clock with the camera or other devices.
0 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Nice job on this cover. The arrangement is tight. I can hear all parts pretty well. The bass kicks in when it's supposed too. Your voice fits this song.
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Lungfruit wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:10 pm
Nice job on this cover. The arrangement is tight. I can hear all parts pretty well. The bass kicks in when it's supposed too. Your voice fits this song.
There are 5 of us just jamming, and, besides pushing the red button, I only play guitar here so can't take credit for the vocal. There's another guitarist, bass, drummer and one guy just sings. There will be some more folks singing if I am not too lazy to set up another mixer and mic next time :).
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 am

Sounds good. I'm taking it you guys make some money off of your talents?
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

still_fiddlin
been here a while
been here a while

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:59 am

The Cracks wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 am
Sounds good. I'm taking it you guys make some money off of your talents?
Everyone works in hi-tech, except me (retired), so if that's the talent you're talking about, then yeah. But music? Uh, no. This is strictly for fun. So far I haven't been able to get my friends to agree to concentrate on three songs long enough to try an open mic. The attention span of "kids" these days ;) ...
0 x