Thinking In Abstract-Original Sonar

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Thinking In Abstract-Original Sonar

Post by voclizr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm

I recently bought a new expansion pack for EZ Drummer 2 that includes a kit called "70s Rock". I love the sound of this kit, especially the kick drum and its characteristic "punchy-pop" sound. I wrote this song using it. Although the style of this song is jazz, it's about the challenge of writing avant-garde style music, which I've tried recently (but the results are not for human consumption) ;) . Also features EZ Keys, Trilian Bass and horns by Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3.

Enjoy Thinking In Abstract

Soundclick version

:D Thanks!
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Thinking In Abstract-Original Sonar

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 am

John,
It does have that 70s sound like a Chicago song. The bass seems a little high in the mix, but maybe that's intentional. Otherwise the mix seems on. This seems more "pop" than your previous songs.

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm

You just get better John.

A classy and sophisticated piece.

Great lyrics and really well arranged and performed.

More than a hint of Supertramp.

Nicely done :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 pm

That is some punchy pop on that kick. Diggin this groove. lovely walking bass and the keys are sweet. Very jazzy stuff you put together here! I'm impressed w/your creativity. That's alotta modulating in that outro. Great changes, man! :clap:
As always I wonder what exactly is actually played by you and what is sampled. Guessing the keys are sampled. Where as I would say the bass, horns, and synth(s) are all you. Ambitious vocals too. I do occasionally vocalize my jazz compositions to get inside em but I don't think I could ever sing those high notes you're achieving in this original.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks all. :D

I appreciate the Chicago & Supertramp compare. They're both favorites of mine.
surfercook wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 pm
Guessing the keys are sampled. Where as I would say the bass, horns, and synth(s) are all you.
You are correct on all counts.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Very excellent sound! I agree with the comparison to Chicago and SuperTramp, both are groups I enjoy.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 am

John, I'm so sorry I missed this one on my last visit.

A big sound here. It all sounds good to me. Complicated. Great lyric writing. Great recording. I'll check out that EZKeys once a I get a new PC. It wouldn't be worth loading that program onto this crappy pc.

Nice job, V! I like it!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks Jim F & Sean.

I think you would love EZ Keys, Sean. It's fun just to play around with and it expands your creativity and your palate of sounds. If you do get it feel free to PM me if you need help with it.

:D
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp