So What+Surf Funk Loop/Cover&Orig/REAPER/Samplitude/UX2

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
surfercook
The Force
The Force

So What+Surf Funk Loop/Cover&Orig/REAPER/Samplitude/UX2

Post by surfercook » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 pm

Long topic title I know! Been busy here playing, recording, surfing, and editing videos. Same ol same ol 'cept I had to get a new pc. The one from summer 2011 finally died. My son helped me build that gaming tower and I was saddened to see it go. He helped me again to chose a new one. We went w/an HP micro tower and swapped out the HD for a solid state. Thing is pretty sweet. It's been a challenge to get all my programs up and running. Getting there but still a long way to go. Odd thing is I had to upgrade my REAPER and I'm still in "Evaluating" mode. It was gtg the first few days but now it's generating "White Noise" at regular intervals. I'm guessing they want me to pony up the cash! So I had to finish "So What" in Samp. Good thing I rendered the jam track the other day. I've included the jam track in this post if anyone wants to try soloing over it.The middle is open for solos twice. Head in front and back. Exploit Dorian mode to the max. It was a challenge to build the open solo section proper w/all the measures counted out perfect.
Here are the first two RECings off the new machine. Feeling quite fortunate my left ring finger finger is getting stronger now over two yrs after having it dislocated while surfing. It's still not 100% but it's WAY better than a few months ago.

Miles Davis classic here- The solo section is all improv, pretty much the total opposite of the head which I play straight off the chart.
So What

My funky little surf jam-
Surf Funk Loop

So What_jam_track
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: So What+Surf Funk Loop/Cover&Orig/REAPER/Samplitude/UX2

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Mark~ I don't know the Davis original but I like your take. Clean, bright, and full of life! It's a well-crafted piece. The funk jam is also well recorded and sounds good. I don't know how much time you put into something like that, but it sounds like alot! Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:29 pm

I too don't know the original but this is a nice recording, Marc. You sure do have command over the guitar. Nice.

Listening to second one now. This one's good too. Again, great guitar playing. No nits on either one.

My computer is dying too. I dread it. But I'll have to rebuild because I'm still not done with the songwriting and home recording thing for now. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 am

Nice tones! Those guitars are sounding good.

Clean playing, something I'm very bad at (fast and distorted so folks don't hear how rubbish I really am).

Nicely done.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

ps02
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by ps02 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 am

very funky. guitar is clear and well played.

I hope your finger gets 100% better, as that is definitely a hinderance when playing guitar.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:34 pm

I didn't even realize you guys replied! thanx lung, cracks, dickl, and ps-02. very cool. the forum ain't dead yet!
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 pm

It's interesting that you're playing on guitar what is played on bass on Mile's recording. It works well, but I'm so used to hearing that lick on bass that it just throws me a bit (not in a bad way) when I hear your version. My only nit is that your timing could be a bit tighter, but I would be at least as off in that respect as you (probably worse) if not for the "quantize" feature.

Hey! I like "Blue & Green". I'm listening to that right now, but I know it's not what you're asking me to listen to, but I like it.

OK, now the "Funk Surf Loop" is playing. Nice sound overall. Like I said before, a bit tighter on the timing would take this into hyper level, but it's not too bad (not as bad as mine would be in free flow). I'm glad you sprung back to playing mode after your last accident. BE CAREFUL!

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp