Still Life-Original Instrumental-Sonar X3

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Still Life-Original Instrumental-Sonar X3

Post by The Cracks » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 pm

voclizr wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:09 pm
Peace. :D
:metal:

I think your quest for a real sound from any type of virtual instrument is the Holy Grail of home recording. I love Band-in-a-Box but there is only so much you can do with it. When I play a real piano when I find one available, I can really hear the difference between it and my PSRE403.

I did check out kompoz.com. It looks interesting.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:18 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 pm

I did check out kompoz.com. It looks interesting.
I'm sure it does. Nonetheless, I'm no longer interested in doing collabs. No offense to anybody I've worked with in the past. It's just that I don't want to work that way anymore.

Also, I've made a decision to continue to make music and I will continue to post the songs on my Soundclick & Bandcamp pages, but I will no longer be posting them for review here or any other forum. Anybody who actually does like my stuff is invited to check out what I post there, but I no longer need or want to know what anybody thinks of it, good or bad.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Another beautifully stellar composition JB and, in homage:

Still Life
RoyAllenHunt © March 30, 2018

Sitting by my window looking out
With you not here
lonely I
Watching a world pass me by
Welcome to my still life

Only yesterday it seems
There was you and there was me
The growing flowers the swaying trees
thinking we were happy
oh so amazing

There was then and there is now
We let it slip away somehow
When the river flows by
some things are left behind
Welcome to my still life

Take the bitter with the sweet they say
You’ll see the sun again someday
But if I can be real
seeing that now is beyond my will
Can’t even go outside
Welcome to my still life,

Sincerely, Roy
0 x
Roy-Al

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:32 pm

Thank you for the lyrics and compliments, Roy, but as we discussed privately, I will not be incorporating them into the song. It will continue to be an instrumental with FAKE sounding instruments.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:46 pm

JB, they are no longer lyrics but rather a poetic homage to you and your craft. As far virtual instruments sounding fake, yours serve their purpose even though some feel they may never be the equal of authentic instruments. If a full orchestra offered to perform your music, I am certain you would snap that offer up without a second thought. Don't make too much of what others say, think or feel (bear in mind this is a forum for just that purpose). If it gets you there, then you have done what you intended. Hope that makes sense to you. May you continue to make music and make joy! Roy
0 x
Roy-Al

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Roy-Al wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:46 pm
JB, they are no longer lyrics but rather a poetic homage to you and your craft. As far virtual instruments sounding fake, yours serve their purpose even though some feel they may never be the equal of authentic instruments. If a full orchestra offered to perform your music, I am certain you would snap that offer up without a second thought. Don't make too much of what others say, think or feel (bear in mind this is a forum for just that purpose). If it gets you there, then you have done what you intended. Hope that makes sense to you. May you continue to make music and make joy! Roy
in that case, I appreciate the homage, then. Thanks!

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:36 pm

voclizr wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:18 pm
Also, I've made a decision to continue to make music and I will continue to post the songs on my Soundclick & Bandcamp pages...
Yes! :cheer:
voclizr wrote:
...but I will no longer be posting them for review here or any other forum.

Oh. :(
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:48 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:36 pm
voclizr wrote:
Also, I've made a decision to continue to make music and I will continue to post the songs on my Soundclick & Bandcamp pages...
Yes! :cheer:
voclizr wrote:
...but I will no longer be posting them for review here or any other forum.

Oh. :(
Hey! Why the long face! :shock: You still can listen to my work and I no longer have to be ribbed about my "fake" sounding horns & strings and my "melody-less" songs. Everybody can be happy. :yes:
In fact, I just put a new one up and you're welcome to listen to it. I find it fair to warn you, though. It has those damned fake horns again. BEWARE!! :lol:
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 am

voclizr wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:48 pm
Hey! Why the long face! :shock: You still can listen to my work and I no longer have to be ribbed about my "fake" sounding horns & strings and my "melody-less" songs. Everybody can be happy. :yes:
In fact, I just put a new one up and you're welcome to listen to it. I find it fair to warn you, though. It has those damned fake horns again. BEWARE!! :lol:

I posted this on Roy-Al's thread by mistake. I think this review belongs here:

:stick: This is a great recording and a great song. It reminds me of something Steely Dan might have done. Great lyrics. Great instrumentation. Great recording. And all on Soundclick too! You are firing all guns on this one!

I heard it said (maybe by John Lennon or Don McLean, or someone) that it takes talent, drive, and luck to make it in the entertainment business. You have to have all three. Miss anyone of them and you are just another face in the crowd.

Your song captures that sentiment perfectly. Nice work.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 pm

voclizr (John),

You hear virtual instruments much more often than you think. Much of the music you hear on television and in movies is composed using virtual instruments. More often than you'd believe because of time or cost constraints the original demo created using midi and virtual instruments will be used. I mention this because the advice, guidance and mentoring of composers that make virtual instruments sound real is what you are seeking. I'll post some links below that you will find interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-MIDI-Orche ... 0240814134 The book is very highly rated as a introductory guide and reference source.

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/midi- ... -explained Groove3 video tutorials are wonderful. At $20 I think you will find the money well spent. I prefer to purchase and download the videos for offline viewing and reference. I find information to be tightly packed in a Groove3 video so I may end up spending twenty to thirty minutes looping a two or three minute segment to fully absorb and understand the information presented. The format Groove3 follows in most of their videos makes it easy to find information later on.

https://composerfocus.com/the-art-of-mi ... on-part-1/ I don't know much about this but a quick review looked interesting.

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/forums Active forum with supportive participants.

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Sequence-C ... 0951721402 The book contains 20 different pieces to record, ranging from simple riffs for the complete beginner to music rewarding enough for the most accomplished musician. Each sequence introduces an important technical concept & a new musical skill, with detailed guidance on performing, recording, & editing. Note that this page also has a link to the publisher's website where three books, Music in Sequence and Classics in Sequence and Rock in Sequence, are available. The books are old but have the advantage of being written before many people became familiar with DAWs or sequencers so more emphasis is placed on understanding the underlying principles.

I hope you'll find this information useful.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD