Still Life-Original Instrumental-Sonar X3

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Still Life-Original Instrumental-Sonar X3

Post by voclizr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Still Life (an instrumental)
Last edited by voclizr on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Still Life-Original Instrumental-Sonar X3

Post by The Cracks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm

It sounds good and clear, V. Nice arrangement. I'd put some lyrics over top of it if I were you. It sounds like something you could sing to.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:25 am

The Cracks wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm
It sounds good and clear, V. Nice arrangement. I'd put some lyrics over top of it if I were you. It sounds like something you could sing to.
.......but I don't CHOOSE to add lyrics! :D
Sean, I swear you've said this about every instrumental (and partial instrumental) I've ever posted here. It's artistic choice, not that I can't think of a lyric line. I LIKE writing instrumentals every now & then. I don't want to pick on you cos I like you but I think you just don't like instrumentals. :?

Anyway, thanks for listening. ;)
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am

V, no, I've said as much that instrumentals don't really do it for me, generally speaking. It's one of the problems I have with Classical music. For some reason it just doesn't hold my attention. But that too is just artistic choice. Ultimately, there is no right answer. This works fine for you, the artist, and that is really all that counts. It sounds good to me, the listener, so that is a bonus. It's all good. I should probably do more instrumentals and less lyrics, if truth be told. :oops: I'm actually working on a new song and I'm having a bear of a time with lyrics, or at least the arrangement of them.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 am

The Cracks wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:27 am
V, no, I've said as much that instrumentals don't really do it for me, generally speaking. It's one of the problems I have with Classical music. For some reason it just doesn't hold my attention. But that too is just artistic choice. Ultimately, there is no right answer. This works fine for you, the artist, and that is really all that counts. It sounds good to me, the listener, so that is a bonus. It's all good. I should probably do more instrumentals and less lyrics, if truth be told. :oops: I'm actually working on a new song and I'm having a bear of a time with lyrics, or at least the arrangement of them.
All's cool, Sean! :D You need not apologize for your tastes. I realize that being a rock n roll fan, especially with Mick Jagger as one of your favorites, you're moved by singing and lyrics. Nothing wrong with that. Some of my heroes (Dan Fogelberg, Joe Jackson and Steely Dan, to name a few) are known for mostly vocal music but they occasionally create instrumental music too and I think it's mainly to stretch and explore. I do an occasional instrumental largely for the same reason, but there are other reasons like the fact that I don't rate myself very highly as a lyricist and, in addition to that, because of my asthma, my voice is falling apart and it's becoming more frustrating with every new project to get a vocal out that I can live with, but I still do the best I can with that. Frankly, at this point of my life, if I had more instruments available to me as lead instruments (the flutes and trumpets get old after awhile) most of my music would be instrumental.

:D
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm

V, I agree with all you said.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:30 pm

John,
Nicely done. As usual your recording and mixing is spot on and everything is perfectly in balance. All the instruments are sharp and well-represented in the mix. I especially like the bass line. Your drum programming is perfect. I do know your style and this sounds just like you! Thanks for posting.
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Lungfruit wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:30 pm
John,
Nicely done. As usual your recording and mixing is spot on and everything is perfectly in balance. All the instruments are sharp and well-represented in the mix. I especially like the bass line. Your drum programming is perfect. I do know your style and this sounds just like you! Thanks for posting.
Thanks LF. :D
The drums aren't exactly "programmed". They're more like looped together.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 am

Smooth work John.

Nicely arranged and played. I'm impressed with the different textures you managed to put in this.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 am

I liked that. Have you considered charting these out (well, you may have already done that), and tried some online collaboration to get "real" instruments for some of the parts? I'm slightly put off by the electronic sound of some of the instruments, but would love to hear this done with actual musicians.

My bass player friend has been nudging me to get involved at kompoz.com - seems he has found a lot of ways to keep busy there!
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm

still_fiddlin wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 am
I'm slightly put off by the electronic sound of some of the instruments
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I give up!
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:49 pm

voclizr wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm
still_fiddlin wrote:
Ok, so if I missed that you were actually playing the instruments, forgive me, but that didn't sound like any flugelhorn I've ever heard.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:13 am

still_fiddlin wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:49 pm
voclizr wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm
still_fiddlin wrote:
Ok, so if I missed that you were actually playing the instruments, forgive me, but that didn't sound like any flugelhorn I've ever heard.
I guess after listening to years and years of jazz, I don't know what a flugelhorn sounds like either! You don't know the hours I put into that project TRYING to make that flugelhorn sound REAL! Those little "gliss" notes took me HOURS to get right and I still get this BS! I guess you're right. So in between the person over at the Sonar forum telling me that the last song I posted there "doesn't have a melody" (it also takes me several hours to do a vocal track these days because my voice, due to asthma, has become so s**ty) I guess it's time to give up on this "hobby". A hobby is supposed to make one happy and fulfilled. This has gotten to the where I no longer enjoy it, but rather, I'm "driven" to it. I'm driven to record new projects and to get them as best I can even to the point of making myself physically ill over details like this and all I hear is "it doesn't sound like any flugelhorn I've ever heard". I'm not ridiculing you, my friend. In fact, I thank you and so many more for pointing out to me that this just isn't for me anymore. Couple the fact that hardly anybody listens to this and the few people that do it doesn't impress anyway. So what am I doing this for? :?

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:11 am

Hmm, well, simply as someone who played trumpet in soul bands back in 60s, cornet, trumpet in a brass quintet and community orchestras and even took a swing a flugelhorn in big bands a decade ago (retired from all that in 2008), I'm just saying it doesn't sound right, especially on the attacks.

Now, if you think my suggestion to maybe try a collaboration with real instruments for what I thought was a nice song and arrangement should mean you just give up, well, that's your own business. I assumed you were in it for the compositional/arrangement, i.e., creative part, and thought kompoz.com might be a place to actually get something going where you could get both exposure and inputs from musicians playing the real instruments. For my time I got a bunch of LOLs.

Look, I'm sorry you have health problems, but if you choose to quit, don't use what other folks *suggest* as an excuse for throwing in the towel. (And don't wonder why participation in these kinds of places has fallen off.)
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 am

still_fiddlin wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:11 am
Hmm, well, simply as someone who played trumpet in soul bands back in 60s, cornet, trumpet in a brass quintet and community orchestras and even took a swing a flugelhorn in big bands a decade ago (retired from all that in 2008), I'm just saying it doesn't sound right, especially on the attacks.

Now, if you think my suggestion to maybe try a collaboration with real instruments for what I thought was a nice song and arrangement should mean you just give up, well, that's your own business. I assumed you were in it for the compositional/arrangement, i.e., creative part, and thought kompoz.com might be a place to actually get something going where you could get both exposure and inputs from musicians playing the real instruments. For my time I got a bunch of LOLs.

Look, I'm sorry you have health problems, but if you choose to quit, don't use what other folks *suggest* as an excuse for throwing in the towel. (And don't wonder why participation in these kinds of places has fallen off.)
I really wish somebody could explain to me why it sounds to me like it's a flugelhorn. I'm not a player like you, but my best friend plays trumpet, trombone and flugelhorn and I've been exposed to it and have listened to it for years. I've been in jazz orchestras and bands too (as a saxophonist), so I've been around it and to my ears it sounds like a flugelhorn. Are my ears different than everybody elses? There seems to be a prejudice in some of these music forums against virtual instruments (of any kind). This leads to another source of my frustrations:The lack of instruction available (on the net or otherwise) of how to make virtual instruments sound real. I've been searching for years for that too, to no avail. You see, that's all I have to work with: Virtual horns, strings, etc and I'd LOVE to learn how to make them sound real but how do I find out how to do that? YouTube has TONS of tutorials on home recording from gain staging to parallel compression, proper use of EQ, etc, and there are thousands of videos on each of THESE subjects, but nothing about how to make virtual instruments sound real (or how to sing with an asthmatic voice, for that matter). I know and appreciate your suggestion on collaboration but I just don't feel like working with other people anymore. No offense to anybody else, but I just would rather work alone.

0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 pm

V, come on, it's a hobby/craft/art, that's all. None of us are making millions from our work. We do it because we like to. Some may argue that we do it because we have to. Either way, we do it! And when the inspiration runs dry, we stop doing it. But don't stop because of a perceived post on a forum about your work. If that was the red line on quitting this game than I'd be gone a long time ago. And, besides, still_fiddlin's comment was supposed to be an encouraging one, as I read it.

It doesn't matter one bit how many people post on this forum any more. I decided that will not be my barometer on whether I continue to record and post here. Heck, find a new forum if this one doesn't suit you. Don't post on any forum if that is what works best. It's your hobby/craft/art. If you are happy with the flugelhorn than who really gives a darn what anyone else thinks? I don't even know what a flugelhorn is. Your song was pleasant to listen to, that's all I know. Again, if I stopped recording based on the number of negative critiques that I've received, I would have stopped years ago. And, if anyone thinks my work now is beyond critique, than you haven't listened to my work lately (which is very likely the case on this forum). I stopped worrying about all that. Most of my songs are one take and out now. I keep my instruments simple because I don't feel like working for hours on whether the flugelhorn sounds real or not. But if that's your bag, keep doing it. The hell with everything else.

Anyway, I hope you don't stop your hobby/craft/art before you are ready to stop, no matter where, or if, you post your music. If you are happy with stopping than thanks for all the music, encouragement, listens and comments over the years. It's been fun.

still_fiddlin - I'll checkout kompoz.com. I've been looking for collaborators since the first day I started writing songs. I, for one, know for a fact that my best work is done when others get involved in my music.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:09 pm

You're right, Sean. It's a hobby/craft and I guess I'm way too involved in it. I'm sorry to be such a bitch about this. It's just that I put so much time into all the details (literally every note), but I guess there's only so much I can do and it's not enough to make it sound real. Times like these make me want to give it up, but I love it so much. Maybe I should start to look at it like you and just do an "one take & out", but that wouldn't work for me either. My apologies to Still Fiddlin' too. I guess I really should thank you for your compliment about my song. You did say you liked the tune.

I really do wish there was more info on the net about working with virtual instruments for realistic sound. Maybe it's just not possible. :?

Thanks also to Dick & Lungfruit for their comments.

Peace. :D
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp