Old Sad Songs orig/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/Mixcraft 5.

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Old Sad Songs orig/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/Mixcraft 5.

Post by The Cracks » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 pm

I had no intention of writing any new songs while the Maryland State song issue is underway but I listen to John's song Still Life yesterday and I thought that it's been a while so maybe I'd open the can of worms again. Then, at that moment, the thought "old sad songs" came into my mind. I looked up a really sad key using the Christian Schubart list of keys and what they represent that Dick Langford posted many years ago (and I printed out) and saw that D minor is pretty darn sad, so I wrote this song. I had the basic frame work done in an hour or so but arranging it was the problem. But I just cut and pasted the different sections until I came up with something that resembled a song. It's very boxed in sounding, something like a funeral march, but, it is Dm...

All instruments are from my PSRE403 keyboard. I recorded them all into Mixcraft 5, via the Cl1 interface. I recorded the vocals into Mixcraft 5 via the SP1 mic, through the Cl1 interface. Everything mixed in Mixcraft 5. I can't believe the old system is still holding up enough to record anything.

It's not great but it does qualify as a home recorded song, which, after all, is the name of this particular game.

Thanks for any listens and comments. Here is:

Old Sad Songs.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Old Sad Songs orig/PSRE403/SP1/Cl1/Mixcraft 5.

Post by Lungfruit » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 am

Nice work Sean. I love the line "When the solid Earth begins collapsing They think crying is brand new" that's brilliant. It's well mixed and I can hear every nuance in your voice. I like that. Thanks, Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Really captures a mood, Sean. Almost brought a tear to my eyes. Also, the way you sang it capture a lot of feeling. While it's true that almost any minor key can be used for a bluesey song, there are certain ones that seem to bring the point home better than others. That's why when some folks here tell me I should key a particular song down (because it sounds like I'm straining to sing) I hesitate to do that because the key a song is in does mean something, at least to me.

:D :^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Thank you very much for listens and comments Glenn and John. I appreciate it very much.

I'm so glad to hear that the song hit a few of its marks. I knew it wasn't mainstream but I feared it might be just plain "out there". I imagined it being sung at a cabaret type show or something as I was working on it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Great vocals Sean.

Simple, direct and very effective.

Funereal is right. A sad song about sad songs.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 pm

dickl wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:16 pm
A sad song about sad songs.
Thanks Dick for listen and comments.

:rock:
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:06 am

I like that word, funeral! Boy does that hit the [coffin?] nail on the head, so to speak.

I think you should try to just expand this a bit, because I like the song and words that are there. For me, it's a tad repetitious. And, I wonder what would happen if it modulated to another minor key?
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:45 pm

still_fiddlin wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:06 am
I think you should try to just expand this a bit, because I like the song and words that are there. For me, it's a tad repetitious. And, I wonder what would happen if it modulated to another minor key?
Thanks, still_fiddlin, good points. I struggled with should I write more but I went to Tom Wait's great song "Back in the Crowd" as a guide and he used just a few repeated lyrics so I figured I was okay. But, of course he is Tom Waits and, needless to say, I am not. 8)

As far as moving to another key, I have trouble enough staying within just one! :D

Thanks for listen and comments.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:11 am

Nice work cracks, at first i thought you had changed your style a bit from what i remembered way back when but then as i started to type your next song played "The sun still shines" and i thought yep that's how i remember your work, both good songs and arrangements. :applause:
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:43 am

Thanks nicka! Great to hear from you again. Thanks for listen and comments. I appreciate it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am

Sad Songs brought a smile to my face. Go figure. I can't explain why but it is the lonely, sad, hurting songs I enjoy the most. I guess it's because I'm glad that's not the mood I'm in.

I agree a song's key signature is important. I think that's one reason I had a smile starting with the first chord. That key signature suits your voice as I heard angst but didn't hear any straining.

The sound is a little hollow to my ears. I'm not a good enough mixer to tell you if that is because everything is recorded too far from the microphone, there's too much room ambiance or too much reverb but your voice and instruments sound far away and a little thin.

Really like the song, really like your singing and playing.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 pm

And I really like that you listened and commented, Jim. Thanks a million!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Wow, when you said sad, you really meant sad, funerial sad. First notes I immediately thought of Chopin. Your voice sure hits the right tone. Love the sparse lyrics that say so much. Especially "When the solid Earth begins collapsing, They think crying is brand new." Excellent work Cracks!
0 x
Roy-Al

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks for listen and comments, Roy.

"First notes I immediately thought of Chopin."

Wow.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

jonesvox
been here a while
been here a while

Post by jonesvox » Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 am

I like the reference to Tom Waits and I was thinking that (from the arrangement) when I listened. Lyrics are clever and poignant. Good song!
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 pm

This sounds really good. Nice work. Sounds like a bar shanty a bit. I can picture a bunch of guys standing around an upright piano w/grog in hand singing along. Dmin is indeed a sad key, as most minors are. I kinda remember that chart. Can you post it please? Cool your recording gear still works. I haven't opened up REAPER or Samplitude in a while now. Still practice gtr and keys alot though.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri May 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for listen and comments Marc.

I am surprised my Mixcraft 5 is still working but it is. My PC is dying though and I have unfinished work on my MC5 so I'm sure I'll be losing it sooner or later. It's a race against time and time is lapping me at the moment.

Here is a link to Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (the list we are talking about). I think this is a pdf version but from a different, unverified website. I haven't opened the pdf so I can't vouch for it.

As an aside, I'll be on the Jersey Shore this weekend for a wedding down in Cape May. I love the Jersey Shore. I will try to swing by Mack's Pizza in Wildwood on the way out on Sunday. :metal:
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website