Cover "Gypsy Woman"

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Cover "Gypsy Woman"

Post by Roy-Al » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 pm

https://soundcloud.com/i-am-roy-al/gyps ... 17/s-UbHAV

Sonar 10 Producer, M-Audio M-Track, Yamaha keyboard, Zoom PS04

Some don't remember or have never heard this sweet sound of Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wd4tlX5t-Q

I recorded this several years ago for my sister's birthday. Tried to update it a bit last year. Used a Gary's Midi and augmented with my ham fisted piano solo at the beginning and end of this thing. Additional lyrics by yours truly. My backing vocals are somewhat uneven just like the piano playing.

Gypsy Woman
Curtis Mayfield ©1961

From no where through a caravan around the campfire light, a lovely woman in motion with hair as dark as night. Her eyes were like that of a cat in the dark
that hypnotized me with love.

She was a gypsy woman
She was a gypsy woman

She danced around and around to a guitar melody. From the fire her face was all aglow how she enchanted me. Oh how I’d like to hold her near and kiss and forever whisper in her ear.

I love you gypsy woman
I love you gypsy woman

All through the caravan she was dancing with all the men. Waiting for the rising sun everyone was having fun. I hate to see the lady go knowing she’ll never know that I love her. I love her.

A gypsy woman
A gypsy woman
A gypsy woman
Last edited by Roy-Al on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Roy-Al

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Cover "Gypsy Woman"

Post by The Cracks » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Good to see (hear) you back, Roy-Al. I miss the painting of the guys singing under the street lamp. That image captured your sound so well. This one is right in line with your sound. I know I should have heard the original but I'm not sure I have. I'll go to Youtube. Nice build up at the end. I like the layered texture of sounds, voices.

p.s. Yes, I thought I knew this song. You changed it around enough where it was almost like a new song, which is a good thing on a cover song.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:06 am

Thank you so much Cracks. You are being way too kind by not mentioning all the crappy things about my contribution to this great old song by Curtis Mayfield. I recently listened to my cover on speakers for the first time since I originally recorded years ago. I had been editing entirely on inexpensive headphones that made me believe it sounded better than it actually does. Anyway, I had fun doing it and I guess that's the point of all of this. Thanks again for your input.
0 x
Roy-Al

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Roy-Al wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:06 am
Anyway, I had fun doing it and I guess that's the point of all of this.
I think that is my mantra at this point too.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Sounds like you put your heart and soul into this. Your vocals are great. The backing sounds like some presets on the Yammy keys, but that's OK. I used to have fun with that kind of thing too. It serves a purpose. You also gave me a bit of an education. I remember this song done by Brian Hyland in the 70. I liked it but never paid it too much attention. This was the first I heard that it was written by Curtis Mayfield. I never heard his own recording of it, but I'd be interested.

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:13 pm

I was pulling it from my soul memory. I'm glad you could hear that in my efforts. Posted the Curtis Mayfield version for you.
0 x
Roy-Al

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:29 am

If you put a link on your last post it's not showing, but that's OK. I found it on Youtube last night. I enjoyed it. Quite different than what I'd expect from Curtis Mayfield, but I must confess I was never really into him, but one of my favorite grooves from the 70s was "Freddy's Dead". I also saw him in a prison type movie around that same time period.

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings & Vintage Organs, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 am

Roy ~
Nice cover. I liked the chorus parts around 3:30 & 4:30. Very rich texture throughout the whole song. R&B was never my bag, but I can appreciate the work you put into it. Thanks for listening to mine as well. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Post in error.
Last edited by The Cracks on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Nice to hear something from you Roy :)

I still you still have that ethereal quality to your voice that I liked so much.

An interesting arrangement and that is what I always look for in a cover. You've taken the song in another direction and it works.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm

voclizr wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:29 am
If you put a link on your last post it's not showing, but that's OK. I found it on Youtube last night. I enjoyed it. Quite different than what I'd expect from Curtis Mayfield, but I must confess I was never really into him, but one of my favorite grooves from the 70s was "Freddy's Dead". I also saw him in a prison type movie around that same time period.

:D
Yes, I posted to my original posting. I too enjoyed "Freddy's Dead" from the Superfly soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield. Only movie I can think of was "Short Eyes" soundtrack also by Mayfield. Check it out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6u4H52u7A
0 x
Roy-Al

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Lungfruit wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:12 am
Roy ~
Nice cover. I liked the chorus parts around 3:30 & 4:30. Very rich texture throughout the whole song. R&B was never my bag, but I can appreciate the work you put into it. Thanks for listening to mine as well. Glenn
Hello Glenn: Thanks for the input. Wish I could have had a bit more for you in the way of the chorus. Re: The R&B aspect, I gave up long ago listening to music according to genre. I've found different types of music flow around and through one another with a kind of symmetry that fills the void for me. If that makes any sense. Roy
Last edited by Roy-Al on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Roy-Al

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Hey DickL. And I see you've been keeping your chops alive in here. I like it! As for me, I've been hanging back listening to the big guys do their thing. I've got lots of words and a few broken melodies that I don't know how to string together. I keep trying though. Thanks for your feedback, it's appreciated.
0 x
Roy-Al

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:19 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:10 pm
:stick: This is a great recording and a great song. It reminds me of something Steely Dan might have done. Great lyrics. Great instrumentation. Great recording. And all on Soundclick too! You are firing all guns on this one!

I heard it said (maybe by John Lennon or Don McLean, or someone) that it takes talent, drive, and luck to make it in the entertainment business. You have to have all three. Miss anyone of them and you are just another face in the crowd.

Your song captures that sentiment perfectly. Nice work.
Why thanks again, Cracks, for the feedback. I posted a drawing I had been working on for the Gypsy Woman song and I'll put up a profile of the street corner crooners just for you. Roy
0 x
Roy-Al

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 am

The Cracks wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:10 pm
:stick: This is a great recording and a great song. It reminds me of something Steely Dan might have done. Great lyrics. Great instrumentation. Great recording. And all on Soundclick too! You are firing all guns on this one!

I heard it said (maybe by John Lennon or Don McLean, or someone) that it takes talent, drive, and luck to make it in the entertainment business. You have to have all three. Miss anyone of them and you are just another face in the crowd.

Your song captures that sentiment perfectly. Nice work.
Roy, with all due respect, I have to admit that I posted this in error on your thread. This was supposed to be on V's song thread. But, as I said in my first post, I do like you recording. And do post the guys singing under the street lamp.

Sorry for the mistake.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Nice, soulful rendition of a classic song. It seems a little slower than the original recording but that's okay. I think you did a good job with the background harmonies. I enjoyed listening to it.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2018 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums