River's Rising - org/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

River's Rising - org/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by The Cracks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 pm

I am trying to use up as many of my old vault songs as I can before this PC dies and takes all the songs with it. I created the music and the chorus for this song about a year ago while practicing my keyboard. I had in mind an old spiritual. I had a little time to myself this afternoon so I wrote some lyrics and recorded the vocals. I added some drums and clapping hands (all generated from the Yamaha PSRE403). I tried to add some more tracks (organ, bass, etc.) but I found that adding too much muddied the song and stripped it of the raw feel I was after. I'm not saying I achieved that raw feel but this is as close to it as I could get with my limited equipment and limited talent. I would need a full gospel choir to record what I had in mind.

I recorded the Yamaha PSRE403 into the Mixcraft 5 via the Cl1 interface. I recorded the vocals using a SP1 mic into Mixcraft 5 via Cl1 interface. All instruments were generated by the Yamaha PSRE403. Everything was mixed in the Mixcraft 5.

Thanks for any listens and comments.

Here is:

River's Rising

p.s. This has nothing to do with the flood in Ellicott City, MD, a few weeks ago that some of you may have heard about, although it very well could be.
Last edited by The Cracks on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: River Rising - org/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by Jim_Fogle » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Pretty neat. I left a comment onsite. To me "River Rising" feels more like a spiritual than urban gospel. I feel you captured the feeling one gets while watching sheets of rain pelting down a window or standing in a doorway watching the water level creep ever closer to the door.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:05 pm

I like the repeating phrases. It gives it a memorable quality. The drums, though faint, really add to the overall feel. It's recorded nicely and the mix is right on. Good work Sean.

I thought I was going to be the last one to post in this forum as traffic has really dropped off here. Is home recording dead?
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Thanks for listens and comments Jim and Lungfruit. I appreciate it very much.

Jim, thanks for listen and comments. I did look for spiritual music category on Soundclick but the only thing I could find close enough was Gospel, which is a sub-category under Urban. It's not Urban Gospel, it's Urban - Gospel, if you get my drift. I read your comments on Soundclick and I appreciate them. Yes, I was after the old spiritual feel and those songs often referred to rain and rivers and floods, etc. The song was really written as "oh, Lord, the river's rising...," but I left the "'s" off during recording so I just went with hit. I try not to use slang in my songs but sometimes "ain't" just works better than "is not," and in this case I think "river" works just as good or better than "river's". In any event, I doubt I'll be fixing it anytime soon, if ever.

Lungfruit, thanks for listen and comments. Yes, I wrote this using pentatonic scale because I think it really makes a song very simple yet memorable. There are so many great and memorable songs that use it ("Amazing Grace," "London Bridge" (I think), and so many more. In fact, several of my most recent ones ("Mason-Dixon Line" for example) have been written using pentatonic scale. And, yes, I really lucked out on the drums. I found bongo type sounds on my keyboard. I went to see Willie Nelson recently and his drummer used one snare drum and that's it. It showed me that you can keep an interesting beat with a minimal amount of equipment so I tried to duplicate that here. I think it is a bit low in the mix as you said but once I have something down I hate to mess with it for fear I might screw the entire recording up, not to mention that I can't spend hours on these projects anymore. The process just isn't that fun and I find the end product isn't much better than these quickies. This song took me probably all of two and half hours split in two sessions (one last year and one this week). That's plenty.

I hope to keep posting new songs for a while longer as I still have probably five or so half completed numbers that I'd like to build on before this PC dies and takes my Mixcraft 5 with it. And I still get inspired to create new work when I play my piano (not so much on guitar any more). It's the lyrics that I am finding harder and harder to come up with. As far as some of the others, I think they will be dropping songs in from time to time but there is no denying it, the forum is very slow lately. Remember, we are all like 10 years or more older than we were when we started this. I'll be 61 this summer. While I don't feel like an old man, I sure don't have the enthusiasm to put out a new song every two weeks or so like I was doing in the "golden years" of the 2090 forum. And, besides, who cares what anyone else does, if you are having fun recording new songs and posting them, keep on rocking! :metal:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:40 pm

I completely understand about the urban - gospel versus urban gospel. Sometimes I think the people that create and maintain SoundClick, SoundCloud, BandCamp or any other music site you can think of don't realize just how many sub genres exist.

I consider most of my music to be country but what is country? There is hillbilly, honky-tonk, western swing, cajun, rockabilly, cosmopolitanism (Nashville Sound), bluegrass and new country. I'm sure there is some sub genres I missed.

I think it would be neat if a site let the song creators add a sub genre when nothing matches.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:52 pm

I agree Jim. I'm not too happy with the new Soundclick. Very clunky on my crappy PC.

I did manage to find some time to record the vocals again and this time I added the "s" onto the end of "river's...". I also added a little uplift to the end of the chorus and I added some additional background vocals. I also raised the drum in the mix. This recording has a more boomy, roomy quality to it but I removed all reverb so I think it is a glitch with my Mixcraft 5 which is nearing the end of its days I believe. In any event, this is as best as I can get this without totally ruining it.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: River's Rising - org/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/Mixcraft 5

Post by dickl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Nice work Sean. Somewhat bleak but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

I like the sparse production and the plaintive vocal. There is a real sense of a river rising but I can't tell if it's good or bad.

You're 61 this summer, I'm 65 in August and I don't feel like an old man either but bizarrely I find I have less time for music these days since I retired. There are other things I want to do with my time but I still have 6 songs half finished and Richard and I will be posting some stuff shortly.

I have no intention of giving up music and will carry on posting but not very often!

All the best Sean.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Nice, especially the sax sounds. Has a rough sound that I find endearing. There's a lot of different things going on here, like a potpourri of sound.

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks Dick and John for your listens and comments.

Yes, Dick, "I can't tell if it's [the river rising] good or bad".

As long as a few of us keep posting sporadically the ol' 2090.org will survive! :rock:

p.s. Go England in World Cup! :stick:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website