Thankful for You - orig/PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Thankful for You - orig/PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5

Post by The Cracks » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:46 pm

This one could have been from the vault as it was created is the same way all the old ones in the vault were created, only I actually started and finished this one today. I hadn't played my piano in two weeks and I sat down and this is what came out so I recorded it and here it is. There is not much to it and it is a bit boring but you have to strike while the iron is hot in this hobby/art/craft.

The music is is two separate piano tracks, recorded using my PSRE403 into Mixcraft 5, via the Cl1 interface.

The vocals are two separate tracks recorded into Mixcraft 5 via my SP1 mic, through Cl1 interface.

I used a little reverb on the vocals.

I tried adding some guitar and other instruments but it just took away from the sound. And I know the chorus is a bit hackneyed but it's all I could come up with and I figured the world can always use another "woman, I love you" song...I hope.

I have discovered that I love writing on piano more than I like writing on guitar and I love ballads, so this is more of the same as I've been putting out lately.

In any event, here is:

Thankful for You.

Thanks for any listens and comments.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Thankful for You - orig/PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:10 pm

The sparse instrumentation works well in this song. Great work with the doubled vocal. You have to have a good sense of timing to make the effect work. Doubling is a nice effect that John Lennon insisted on being applied to his vocal tracks however the engineers created the effect by recording one vocal take onto two tracks with each track located on its own tape deck. The slight speed difference between the two machines created the effect.

I was fascinated to read the piano also is two tracks. I don't hear two pianos like I heard two vocals, what differs between the two?
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for listen and comments Jim. I appreciate it.

I actually used a metronome on this but didn't keep any drum track as my piano playing didn't really match the drum beat that I used for timing. That is how I could keep everything in the same general time frame. :)

Yes, I read that John Lennon would not even record a vocal demo track with out reverb on it. This recording and my last one have that particular sound and I don't know how I got it. Some of my older songs have that sound too and then it disappeared but seems to have returned.

Usually I just record one vocal track and then copy and paste it with a slight delay for a second track. But on these last few songs I've actually been recording a separate second track. But not for any reason other then as fill in to cover any breathing gaps on the first track. Like when I sing in the first verse "...and can't sail home...," that is not one single vocal output from the beginning of "home" to the end. I filled the breathing gap in with the second vocal.

There are two piano tracks. One is playing simple chords (first inversion) on the octave below middle C. The second track is playing mostly notes of the chords on the octave above middle C. You can barely hear the second track. I just sprinkled the notes in. The chord progression of the song is C - C7 - C - Dm - C for verses (or something close to that) and then regular G-F-C in chorus.

The use of the C7 on this song and the intentional substitution of a Dm for an F on the last song are all new advancements for me. After all this time I'm actually learning something! That's why I really like these last two songs. Not so much for the quality of lyric writing, performing, and recording, but because of my technique advancements in piano playing.

I thought about recording it again at a faster pace and including an uplift (C7) at the end of the chorus but it is too much to do for right now.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 pm

The recording is pretty quiet. I had to crank up the volume to hear ir clearly. Once I cranked it up I liked what I heard. Nice lyrics,
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:55 pm

I agree that the sparse instrumentation adds to the almost melancholy effect of the song. Were you humming quietly in the beginning before the singing starts? It sounds like it. If you are that's a cool idea. The two separate vocal tracks work well. You have an amazing vibrato that gives the song some body. Nice work Sean. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:47 am

I like how you've managed to put a positive message across yet the initial feeling is melancholy.

What I kept hearing (but wasn't there!) is the "high seas" two note melody at the end of the verses.

Keep 'em coming :)

Cheers

Dick
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks for listens and comments. I appreciate it.

Jim, yes, I find many of my songs are recorded low. I don't know really how to gauge what I am hearing to how others will hear it. I remember once Tony discussing the difference between how a professional recording song sounds and how a home recording sounds. You can tell the difference between a pro recording and mine any day of the week.

Glenn, yes, I was humming. I've used that on a few recent songs. I think it adds a mellow tone to a song if not overused. And thanks about vocals. I think my voice has improved since I quiet smoking. I do miss the little bastards though. :twisted:

Dick, thank you very much. Yes, the song is in key of C, so that's supposed to be up. That's why I made the chorus uplifting (or tried to).
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website