"So Lo Fi" Full album recorded on a Zoom H4n

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Cft
new to this board
new to this board

"So Lo Fi" Full album recorded on a Zoom H4n

Post by Cft » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:36 am

Hello Zoomers (?) . . . this is a full album I wrote, recorded, and did 99% of the playing on. It was all done on my H4n. I had been demoing tunes since I got it in 2013 and soon realized some of the tunes sounded pretty good and that I'd be comfortable sharing and releasing a whole album.
Everything was recorded on the H4n using a variety of mics: 58, Art M3, the Zoom's own mics . . . I mixed the album with Audacity and used an online mastering service. I'm proud I was able to do it all, mostly at home and for very cheap. I think I want to do another full recording on the H4n before I'm all done.
Thank you, hope you enjoy it. i would love to talk some shop with other H4n users who have worked extensively with the multi-track mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mvh3jC697M
0 x

mcdaggett
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: "So Lo Fi" Full album recorded on a Zoom H4n

Post by mcdaggett » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:28 am

Man, this is great, and consistently so. Beautiful and delicate record. Reminds me of a sparser version of Steeplejack's "Kitchen Radio"-album. If you ever get a chance, grab it, I'm quite sure you'll love it. Deep lyrics, sped-up country feel, insane banjo picking et al. :clap:
1 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Nice Work! I didn't listen to the whole album, but I did listen to the first two tracks and I thought they sounded good. They are mixed up nice. The levels are good. I liked listening to it.
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

noteon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by noteon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:11 pm

I really like this. I could see WPKN, my local "we play what we want to" station playing it.
1 x

Cft
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Cft » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 am

Thank you, I'm glad folks liked the album.
I think I really got the hang of the machine near the end of the recording process and those tunes play a little later in the album.
Have any other folks here made music on their H4n that they released? I've never found any in depth discussions online about using the H4n and its effects and etc.
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:54 am

I thought I'd commented on this already...

Never mind, this is great :)

I am amazed what people can do with what appears, at first sight, to be a machine more suited to live rather than multi-track recording.

I did some multi-track recording on a PS04 a few years ago and although it was possible it needed a lot of planning and arrangement.

What really helps here is that the songs and performance are very good. The acoustic instruments are especially well played and recorded.

You've done a great job with the mix and the online mastering has worked well.

Cheers

Dick
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Beautiful recordings. So smooth and, as already mentioned, consistent tone. You really can make a professional sounding recording with an H4n as someone on your video commented. Your voice is so lovely and familiar. You sound a bit like Ricky Nelson. Great instrumentation on the songs I've listened to (three so far). Lovely guitar on "Sleepy Town". Do tell more about what instruments you used for this album.

Great songs. Great recordings. Great job Mike.

Bravo!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Cft
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Cft » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:19 am

Thank you The Cracks . . . you know I used pretty much cheap, low end gear and even toys.
I have two Yamaha acoustics, one an LL16 which is a good sounding guitar but I recorded most of the tunes with a cheaper FG720. My 12string is the same. My banjo-guitar is a Gold Tone. The organ sounds and a few other effects are from my nephew's fischer-price toy piano. I used an Art M3 condenser mic for some stuff and the Zoom mics too. Some of the electric guitars are a friends' but many are my acoustic with Zoom's pre-set efx. All the reverb is Zoom efx. Borrowed several basses from friends. Used the "Lead Vocal" effect pre-set for all lead vox. Mixed it all on Audacity but worked at it off and on for several years as I taught myself how to make it all sound ok. I have never recorded before. A very long process but I'm glad I did it. I can't afford hiring musicians or studio hours so this will do til I can.
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:02 pm

WOW! That's some H4n mastery. Very impressive. I'm on track two and I'm hearing Canned Heat. Way to do it on a tight budget. Did I hear drums on that first track?
I did a few RECs w/the PS-02 and know what it's like to minimalize. Still have it too.
Been a while since I logged into ZOOM. Cool to see it still up and running.
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Cft
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Cft » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 am

Tks dude . . . yeah when I'm not writing heart-on-sleeve sad singer songwriter music I'm a roots player of 1920s-1930s blues and oldtime music, you're hearing ragtime Blind Blake type riffs in that second tune.
I used a friend's studio space for a few tunes and that's his drumset. All I did was set the H4n right in front of the set, about 3 feet away, using the onboard mics. That's it. They don't sound great but they're workable.
Honestly, if you mix a certain way you can hide some of the aural weaknesses of the tracks. It means not overly highlighting certain instruments and kinda hiding stuff in plain sight, beside other instrumentation or sounds.
I used a free drum machine program for the drums on the tune "Pet Diety."
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

I'm listening to the first track and I'm already quite impressed. Your writing, production and recording techniques are top notch here. Like dickl, I'm floored by what can be done with these little machines. Very professional. Very HI FI for a lo fi effort.

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm listening to the first track and I'm already quite impressed. Your writing, production and recording techniques are top notch here. Like dickl, I'm floored by what can be done with these little machines. Very professional. Very HI FI for a lo fi effort.

EDIT-Clever cover art too!

:^:
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp