Britain in Bloom - original Logic X

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

Britain in Bloom - original Logic X

Post by dickl » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:53 pm

Although most of the Amokopera songs have been written and posted this one has gone through various changes and we couldn't agree on what version to post.

Graeme sang a version and then we got Sam Dixon (who sang on Charlie and the Butcher's Bill) to sing one. Sam is a great singer and musician. More of Sam at Songchest. Unfortunately you can't actually access any of the videos unless you're logged into Pinterest but if you don't have a login here's her YT channel

This is Sam's version and I think it might be the last from Amokopera that we post. There are still one of two that were never completed and possibly never will be. We'll see.

It's a picture of an England that never really existed but some over here still believe it did.

Graeme's lyrics and melody, my arrangement.

Britain in Bloom
Last edited by dickl on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Cft
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Britain in Bloom - original Logic X

Post by Cft » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

Very nice! I like the organ sounds and the voice is pleasing. I like the somewhat vintage sound as well, good job.
1 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Absolutely brilliant. A lovely piece of work. Hat's off to all the participants. :bow:

It captures exactly how I imagine the idealistic Britain. It also has the "stiff upper lip" quality that the British are known for. I picture this song being played over the radio while the Nazi bombs are falling all around.

Musically, it is flawless, in my opinion. It builds just right. I was wondering how you were going to manage that. You did it well.

This song makes me home sick for a place I've never been but has existed in my mind. I love the "rooftops of London" part. What a great city. I really have to get there some day.

Sam's voice is not only stunning but perfectly cast for this roll.

Go to your song page and edit the Brighton line to include the "sea front" part. It is such a beautiful line, you don't want to short change it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks chaps :)

Cft: thanks for the comments. It's a kind of fake nostalgia but is nostalgia nonetheless and I wanted a "dated" sound so I'm pleased if that came across.

Sean: Inspired comments - homesick for a place you've never been, I love it! Graeme did a great job with the lyrics and they can be read either way. I like the image of the bombs and this playing on the radio.

Thanks for the comments about the arrangement. I had to be careful as it was only one melody and no chorus or bridge. I changed key twice to give some variation and on each verse I added a little more instrumentation. If you ever make it to London I'll give you a personal tour.

Sam has a great voice and deserves more exposure for what she can do. She's also a fantastic musician, writes childrens' songs and used to play accordian in our old band. I should have given this link before but here's what she does - Songchest. I've just realised you can't actually access any of the videos unless you're logged into Pinterest but here's her YT channel if you don't have a login (I don't)

I have just changed the lyrics, thanks. I don't know why they were changed from the original! Thanks once again.

All the best forthe New Year.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 pm

dickl wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:35 am
Thanks chaps :)

If you ever make it to London I'll give you a personal tour.
:metal: I'll take you up on that one day - I hope.

I've got it playing for like the fifth time. I love this recording.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:20 pm

Wow! This is a whole new level for you. It's a beautiful arrangement. The tongue-in-cheek nature of the lyrics sung in that sweet voice just adds to the brilliance. Is that a glockenspiel? So much going on with the wind instruments and strings. This really a great piece of work Dick! Hats off to your recording mates as well.
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks Glenn :) I've done a lot of orchestral songs in the past but this was one of the more difficult ones as there were only verses and I had to work hard to keep it varied.

It could be a glockenspiel or crotales. Without loading the project in I can't remember!

Thanks for the listen and comments!

My other major orchestral type piece in Amokopera is this The Fairytale of Rock Rebellion /Swansong Lullaby It has a bit of everything ;)

Cheers

Dick
1 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Very pretty, well written & arranged. Her voice is beautiful and the orchestra is spot on. Nice lyrical concept too.
Small nit- Some of the orchestra tends to overpower her voice in spots, especially in the third verse, but only briefly. Surprising ending but it works. It's so Amokeopera.

:D :^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for the listen John.

This has had dozens of remixes with instruments added and taken away and I think I'm finished with it now but thanks for the comments :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x