Mr. Martyr/original/Big Baby Taylor/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/MX5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Mr. Martyr/original/Big Baby Taylor/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/MX5

Post by The Cracks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:46 pm

This is another one from the vault. I had the guitar track and the opening line of "Hey there Mr. Martyr". I wrote the rest of the words and added the piano tracks today.

I used a Big Baby Taylor guitar to record the main track. I recorded the insturment through the SP1 mic, into Mixcraft 5, via the Cl1 interface.

I recorded my vocals over the guitar track. I recorded the single vocal track through the SP1 mic, into Mixcraft 5, via the Cl1 interface. I added a touch of reverb.

I recorded the piano and strings using my Yamaha PSRE403, into Mixcraft 5, via the Cl1 interface.

I tried adding some percussion but it just didn't sit in the mix good. I thought the piano provided enough percusiion and I didn't want to over-do it.

I mixed all the tracks in Mixcraft 5.

I tried adding some counter melody during break but I don't know how successful I was.

Here is:

Mr. Martyr

Thanks for any listens and comments
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Cft
new to this board
new to this board

Re: Mr. Martyr/original/Big Baby Taylor/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/MX5

Post by Cft » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Good tune and a strong performance/recording. Thks for sharing
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: Mr. Martyr/original/Big Baby Taylor/Yamaha PSRE403/SP1 mic/Cl1 interface/MX5

Post by dickl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Nicely done Sean. The guitar is coming over well and the extra instrumentation works perfectly.

A little hesitant on the ooh-ooh refrain as if you weren't quite sure what you were singing but it's still sounding good.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks for listens and comments. Yes, I was thinking some of the vocals could use a second pass on recording. I'm not sure I'll get to it though but I agree. I'm glad it came across okay. I was worried the whole song might have issues.

Edit: I removed some of the instrumentation in the first half of song (but kept it at break to end). It seemed a little too busy for me.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Sean,
Your recording technique is perfect. Through my headphones this has a rich sound to it. Interesting lyrics. What (or who) is this in reference too? Between you and Dick you guys are really raising the bar in here! Keep up the good work!

Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks Glenn for listen and comments. I appreciate it.

The song isn't about anyone in particular. The "Mr. Martyr" part just fit and I worked it up from there.

As for my technique, I think less is more with me.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:53 pm

You remind me so much of Dylan it's uncanny. In these modern times when music is getting more and more complex it's good to hear somebody with just a guitar & voice and your lyrics take me back to the good ol' 60s days of folk tunes and protest. (Dylan, Peter, Paul & Mary, Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie, just to name a few). I can hear that your heart is back in those days too.

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:02 pm

voclizr wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:53 pm
...your lyrics take me back to the good ol' 60s days of folk tunes and protest. (Dylan, Peter, Paul & Mary, Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie, just to name a few). I can hear that your heart is back in those days too.

:^:
Thanks V! I appreciate it!
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website