Especially For You-Original-Cakewalk by Bandlab

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
voclizr
The Force
The Force

Especially For You-Original-Cakewalk by Bandlab

Post by voclizr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:48 pm

A few months back I posted that I would no longer post my music because I got tired of the "Fake Sounding Instruments" ridicule. To hell with that. I can't think of one person who's music I've heard yet who uses virtual instruments that has mastered it any better than me. I'm sure there are many but I've never heard them, so I'm no worse or better than most in that respect. I've heard many say that making virtual plug ins sound real is a talent in it's own. So, it's a talent I haven't mastered yet. So what? I'm not alone and I'm not apologizing for it anymore.

Anyway, back last August I bought a songwriting tool from Plugin Boutique called Scaler. It helps create chord progressions. Combining that with the Toontrack EZ Keys and EZ Drummer allows me to come up with some interesting combinations of chords and articulations. I had a ball with this one with the Trilian Bass module too. I used to hate making bass parts. Now that's my favorite part of the project.

So I give you all Especially For You.
Enjoy! (and don't let the fake horns bother you too much. ;)

:D
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Especially For You-Original-Cakewalk by Bandlab

Post by Lungfruit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:41 pm

John,
Make music and have fun! Do what you enjoy with what you like to do it with and damn the rest of them!

I know say this about your work all the time but your style sounds like a Broadway show tune. That's a compliment BTW. Thanks for putting the lyrics there as well. The mix is right on,
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 am

Impressive work John.

Accomplished and smooth. Good writing and performance.

Nothing to be worried about there.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 am

I'm loving the music. This sounds very much like a 70s pop tune to me. Not a specific one, just that kind of style.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Beatnick wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:51 am
I'm loving the music. This sounds very much like a 70s pop tune to me. Not a specific one, just that kind of style.
That's because the 60s and 70s are still my 2 favorite musical decades. The music from that period of time shaped me in more ways than just musically. My biggest idols and influences were all in those decades. I have to remind myself that there still is an audience for that kind of music but unfortunately it seems to be growing ever smaller but there are still enough fans of it to keep it alive for a while longer.

Thanks, Beat, Lung & dick!

:D JB
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:11 pm

Sounds good, V. Very jazzy. You always have very snappy music. I'll check out that chord progression website.

As far as the use of "fake" instruments, that's always been a topic of debate, at least on this website. I've used Band-in-the-Box for some of my songs and have been considering getting that piano program you use when I get new PC. I'd say that most of us use fake instruments in one way or another on most of our recordings. It sounds like you mix them in to your music as well as anyone and certainly better than I do.

Good song, good music, good vocals and good to hear another new from you. Keep them coming!
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:11 pm
Sounds good, V. Very jazzy. You always have very snappy music. I'll check out that chord progression website.

As far as the use of "fake" instruments, that's always been a topic of debate, at least on this website. I've used Band-in-the-Box for some of my songs and have been considering getting that piano program you use when I get new PC. I'd say that most of us use fake instruments in one way or another on most of our recordings. It sounds like you mix them in to your music as well as anyone and certainly better than I do.

Good song, good music, good vocals and good to hear another new from you. Keep them coming!
Thanks, Sean. Yeah, I would encourage you to check out Scaler. It's a good program and it's only $50.00. It 's also educational as it gives you a choice of using modes if you want to. They've been upgrading it since I bought it last summer to include synth sounds and guitar strums in addition to the piano which is default and the upgrades have all been free.

:D JB
0 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm

John,

This is a pretty neat song. I enjoyed listening to it which is somewhat surprising considering I don't normally enjoy this style of music.

Excellent mixdown with good dynamics and frequency balance. I especially like how you are able to balance the level of your vocal against the other instruments in the mix. The vocal is not buried nor too much in the forefront and that requires taste and experience.

The chord progressions remind me of songs you hear as a deep cut on a progressive rock album by artists like Emerson, Lake & Palmer album.

I appreciate you providing the lyrics. I like to read the lyrics before listening to a song so I can appreciate how a vocal delivers the song message. You did good.

I like virtual instruments. Yes they can be difficult to program in a way that sounds realistic. If you were to state I played one instrument in this song and all the other instruments are virtual and then asked me which instrument was "real" I would not be able to decide which was "real" and which was not.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm
John,

This is a pretty neat song. I enjoyed listening to it which is somewhat surprising considering I don't normally enjoy this style of music.

Excellent mixdown with good dynamics and frequency balance. I especially like how you are able to balance the level of your vocal against the other instruments in the mix. The vocal is not buried nor too much in the forefront and that requires taste and experience.

The chord progressions remind me of songs you hear as a deep cut on a progressive rock album by artists like Emerson, Lake & Palmer album.

I appreciate you providing the lyrics. I like to read the lyrics before listening to a song so I can appreciate how a vocal delivers the song message. You did good.

I like virtual instruments. Yes they can be difficult to program in a way that sounds realistic. If you were to state I played one instrument in this song and all the other instruments are virtual and then asked me which instrument was "real" I would not be able to decide which was "real" and which was not.
I really appreciate that, Jim, especially about the mix. It's not easy balancing three virtual horns against a lead vocal. In fact, this took me about 7 mixes to get it to where it is now. At first I wanted to give up on it but I was persistent and carefully got it to the point to where you can hear all three horns and the vocal. No mean feat, for sure. Thanks for noticing.
1 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 am

That's pretty friggin' sweet dude. Funky, rhythmic, soulful song writing. That Trilian bass synth is an amazing plug-in and you're definitely making the best of it here. Funny, right at 03:31 I hear my rhythm gtr in in there...like instantly! Some light funky strumming.
Beautiful instrumental outro there.
Here's the video I put our collab in! "Accolade" was one of your more impressive compositions if I recall. Those midi based lead sheets you would email me were cool.
https://youtu.be/m17L67SB6Ic
1 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am

surfercook wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 am
That's pretty friggin' sweet dude. Funky, rhythmic, soulful song writing. That Trilian bass synth is an amazing plug-in and you're definitely making the best of it here. Funny, right at 03:31 I hear my rhythm gtr in in there...like instantly! Some light funky strumming.
Beautiful instrumental outro there.
Here's the video I put our collab in! "Accolade" was one of your more impressive compositions if I recall. Those midi based lead sheets you would email me were cool.
https://youtu.be/m17L67SB6Ic
Man, thanks for that, Marc. Also thanks for using "Accolade". It's been so long since I heard that song that I forgot how it went, but it's a nice trip down memory lane. My only regret about "Accolade" is that I was never able to put a bass part to it. I tried a few times but noting seemed to do it justice so it remains without a low end, but it still seems to work. Careful on those waves, Dude!

1 x
John B

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp