The Common Man, R8, Original song, Rock

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Beatnick

The Common Man, R8, Original song, Rock

Post by Beatnick » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am

From the YouTube deacription

This is a song I wrote a while back. At the time, I was watching a lot of my friends get cut back from full-time to part-time and the lyrics are what I was feeling at the time. I'm sure it still fits today. I rerecorded it as an instrumental here. I really don't like my voice so I don't see myself recording myself singing, but I did include the original lyrics in the video because they are some of my favorite. As always, enjoy.

Additional recording notes

This recording was done yesterday. Again I hooked my Yamaha QY-100 into the R8 and recorded onto track 1 and 2 in stereo. Track 3 was the guitar using onboard effects in one take, keep in mind that the song is more than 15 years old and I've played it many times before. I just changed it a bit to sound better as an instrumental. Again I did a little mastering effects during the mix down and put it on my laptop for some final editing with audacity.

Listen to The Common Man
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: The Common Man, R8, Original song, Rock

Post by dickl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 am

Good use of effects and the video is really well put together.

If you don't want to sing have you tried speaking them - rap like perhaps?

They're worth putting on.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am

The video and music production are both pretty good. It’s hard, though, to listen to the whole thing without a vocal track. Why don’t you try singing it anyway and see how it goes? I agree with Dick also, trying a spoken word thing. I have a hard time with vocals even after a year of lessons! I do it because it brings my songs to life and instrumentals, although fun for us to record, are mostly uninteresting to others.
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 am

Thanks. To me my singing voice would probably work on simplier music. Pretty much the way Bob Dylan's voice worked for his music, but Bob Dylan singing Queen just would not work. That's pretty much how I feel about me singing and my music. I just don't have the range or sound quality to do my songs justice. Almost every song I write I can picture someone else singing it (this song I definitely had RUSH in mind). I've always said I would be a great Desmond Child type person. Someone who writes songs for other people.
2 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 pm

It's a good presentation and I love the concept. The common man (ie "us") is so ignored in this society and we are the ones who keep things going just by doing our jobs everyday, paying taxes and making the whole system work. It's an important message that needs to be conveyed on a large scale. I appreciate your doing your part with this video.

That being said I think it would be great if you could add a bit of lyrics to the narrative if for nothing else to drive the point home further, but I do understand your feelings on having the "right kind of voice" for something like this.

:^:
1 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm

It's a nice sounding jam with some impressive playing but more than four minutes is a long time to listen to an instrumental. Really good sounding mix.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD