Chicken Boy - original Logic X

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

Chicken Boy - original Logic X

Post by dickl » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 am

Another tune from Richard's Route 66 trip.

It's hot and sticky and you're trying to find something on the radio.

Richard wrote all the lyrics and melodies and sang and played on parts 1 and 3.

I sang and arranged part 2

Chicken Boy

This is Richard's take.

Excerpt from Route 66: California Dreaming by Richard Marris:

Chicken Boy is a 22-foot, late-60s International Fiberglass model; one of 400 made in Venice Beach by boat builder Steve Dashew. Artist Amy Inouye discovered him on top of a Chinese chicken joint on Broadway just three days after moving to LA. His avian ease in the middle of the downtown chaos convinced her she would be ok in this biggest of big cities. In 1984 she discovered the restaurant had been boarded up and hired a sign mover to pluck that Chicken off its lofty perch. He's now a celebrity on Figueroa St, Highland Park.

Corvette produced its first all-fiberglass automobile in 1953, sparking an interest in the lightweight, rust-proof material. Prewitt Fiberglass Animals didn’t do human figures until they were commissioned to build a giant Paul Bunyan for a client in Sacramento. When the client didn’t pay for the statue, owner Bob Prewitt loaded it onto a flatbed and took a road trip east on 66 until he found a buyer at the Lumberjack Café in Flagstaff, Arizona. A few years later Bob sold some molds, including the Bunyan, to plastic credit card inventor Stanley A. Dashew. He thought they would be a good side-line for his boat-building son Steve. When the giant men got some publicity in a trade magazine, International Fiberglass picked up business producing cowboys for Phillips 66 gas stations and Native Americans to promote Mohawk Oil’s outlets. For the next few years, the company churned out pirates, bikini-clad Jackie Kennedys, Uncle Sams and even Yogi bear-alikes.

Around 200 of them are still standing, looking down on the now-quiet side roads of America as the freeways roar past. Many of the businesses they promoted have long gone but the giants are playing the long game...

... If you're too hot wind your window down
We'll find something in the next town
Bleached out my memory, stuck to the seat
Blacktop melting sticky
Icy sugar sweet

Now there's nothing to sell
But they're not going to hide
There's still a story to tell
Out on the roadside....

... If Chicken Boy can make it here so can I
He's got a bucket of wings but he's not going to fly
A reassuring presence in the brutal blue sky
I know that he's with me but I don't know why

I don't know why
But I'm not going to fly

Welcome to a city full of lonely places
Dusty petrol highway between empty spaces
Looking for connection
Looking for traces
A glimpse of recognition is some stranger faces

I don't know why
But I'm not going to fly

Decades pile on decades and we're still here
Fighting the lonely beating the fear
Life and love such fragile things
Me and Chicken Boy, he's giving me wings

But I'm not going to fly
I don't know why...

... Main Street fading, like the ghosts on its wall
He's there in the shading, observing it all
As everything changes, cycles around
He's beyond rearranging
Looking down, holding ground
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Chicken Boy - original Logic X

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Dick,
Nice work! It’s a very creative idea for a song. Inspiration can strike anytime and in any form! The song is mixed nicely and I like the juxtaposition of the contrasting sections. Your section has a Pink Floyd feel to it.

Glenn
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:21 pm

What a neat song! The photograph is great too. I love the juxtaposition between the two styles. This is just a creative, fun and might I say inspired song. I was disappointed to hear the fade-out. It took me a few moments to realize the song was over because I was so lost in the moment.

Super duper and any other superlative you can come up with. I will be revisiting Chicken Boy time and time again.
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 am

Interesting song. I like the piano and ending. I need to give it another listen when I have time. I need to look into bandcamp. I created an artist account there when I first put my album out, but couldn't figure out how to do anything there so I haven't done anything there yet.
1 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks chaps :)

Glenn: The lyrics and melodies came from Richard, inspired by his Route 66 road trip. The 2nd section was the original song and the "intro" and "coda" arrived later. I don't think it was intended to be an orchestral piece but that's how I heard it and then we tied the other parts in by imagining a road trip and tuning the radio. Thanks for the listen and comments

Jim: You are too kind! As is the way with these things it wasn't a lightbulb moment but a slow organic growth and I'm pleased it all worked out in the end. It took many months to get it here so thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Nic: Thanks for the listen and comment. It took me a while to get familiar with Bandcamp but I now use it for all my/our music. I like how it easy it is to create an album and add, delete and rearrange the tracks. I'm trying to gradually move all my music over to Bandcamp as I'm pretty unhappy with Soundclick. I like your use of YT but I don't have the time or patience to put together videos for the songs! Thanks again.

Cheers

Dick
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 am

I can't figure anything out on Bandcamp. I definitely created an artist account, but I can't find myself when I search for artists. Maybe I still need to verify something before it goes live. I also can't figure out how to upload music. I assume you can do that there. Maybe it's because I'm just looking from the app on my phone. I'll try looking on my laptop when I get home.
0 x
My YouTube channel

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 am

Nick, are you signed in? I often have the problem of finding anything before realising I'm not signed in. I've set the link up as a bookmark now as I had to change my password several times as I kept forgetting it and had to request a new one!

When you get signed in under your email or name there is menu tab at the top of the screen gives you an "ADD" button and after that you can decide if you're adding a track or an album and upload music and, lyrics, pics etc.

Good luck.
0 x

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 am

I see how to upload it now that I'm on my laptop. Before I was just looking from the artist app on my phone. It doesn't cost anything to put your music on there? I take it they take a cut of what you sell it for. I still can't find me when I search for "Beatnick's Odyssey" on the bandcamp page, I can log in as an artists though. I haven't created a fan account.

When I first told my friend I was releasing my album "A Memory Ago" he's the one who told me to use CDBaby and to create a Bandcamp page. He knows a bit about this stuff because he's in a death metal band called "Killing Addiction". Not my kind of music, but he's a great guy. I did use CDBaby for that album, but I may just use Bandcamp or SoundCloud after this. It's not like anybody is buying my album anyway. I think I've made about $4 between YouTube and Spotify streams. Definitely not worth the price I paid to put it on there. Thanks for any advice.
1 x
My YouTube channel

Cft
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Cft » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Yeah what a cool transition and a very interesting piece of music, I quite enjoyed it. Congrats on a good job
1 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 am

Beatnick wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 am
I see how to upload it now that I'm on my laptop. Before I was just looking from the artist app on my phone. It doesn't cost anything to put your music on there? I take it they take a cut of what you sell it for. I still can't find me when I search for "Beatnick's Odyssey" on the bandcamp page, I can log in as an artists though. I haven't created a fan account.

When I first told my friend I was releasing my album "A Memory Ago" he's the one who told me to use CDBaby and to create a Bandcamp page. He knows a bit about this stuff because he's in a death metal band called "Killing Addiction". Not my kind of music, but he's a great guy. I did use CDBaby for that album, but I may just use Bandcamp or SoundCloud after this. It's not like anybody is buying my album anyway. I think I've made about $4 between YouTube and Spotify streams. Definitely not worth the price I paid to put it on there. Thanks for any advice.

If you can log in as an artist you should be able to start adding songs. Perhaps that creates the artist page? I haven't got a fan account either.

I put our "professionally" recorded Cds on CDbaby years ago and even though I don't advertise them I still get 20 or 30 dollars every few months from digital sales. It's a long way from paying off what it cost to record them but still nice to get.

I'm not sure what Bandcamp charges. It's free to host (unless you want one of their Pro packacges) and you can link into a Paypal account. I never set a price for the songs but now and again someone actually pays for one when they can download for free. The last time I checked I think I had $3.95 in payments!
0 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 am

Cft wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm
Yeah what a cool transition and a very interesting piece of music, I quite enjoyed it. Congrats on a good job
Thanks for the listen and comments!

Cheers

Dick
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:38 pm

I just checked in the other day and there was nothing here.

This is very cool. Lots of atmosphere on both parts of the song. I love the grungy electric guitar parts. It sounds like L. A. The piano parts are lovely. Is that you playing piano or is that EZ Keys? Either way, it works great. Good lyrics. Lost America. Neat.

Great work, Dick and Richard. I like it.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks Sean.

Unfortunately it's not me on piano but an EZkeys part that I "amended".

Thanks for the listen and comments. Lost America? If I ever get over this fear flying maybe I'll try and discover it myself.

Cheers

Dick
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Dick,

I hope you do visit. Just visiting your forum friends would make a great trip! Flying is like everything else, the more familiar you are and the more often you do it, the easier it becomes.

Piedmont Airlines, and later USAir, use to offer a free, one day, overcoming your fear of flying course. They had a ground class, tour of the airport and flight ramp, tour through a passenger jet including cockpit, passenger area and luggage area, crank up the jet and let the students hear all the different noises as the flaps and ailerons moved and then an actual flight of about thirty minutes. More often than not, by flight time a majority of students would take the ride.

The first couple of times I flew I was terrified but later on I grew so accustomed to flying that I normally would be napping by the time the jet left the end of the runway.
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:27 am

Dick, the piano sounds good and real. (These tools do use actual sounds from instruments being played.) I'm probably going to get EZ Keys as a song writing tool that I can supplement with my real playing. I just don't want to download it into this dying PC.

Lost America, or Americana, as it is usually called, is like abandoned motels along Route 66, for example. We have Route 40 here in Maryland and all the old places from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, like gas stations, motels, diners, drive-in movie theaters, etc., have been replaced by shopping malls and such, but some of the old, decaying structures, still stand. Much like the Chicken Boy sign.

You come to America and I'll go to London and we'll pass each other in mid-air.
2 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks Jim.

I've suffered from depression, anxiety and panic attacks since I was a teenager. I couldn't use trains, lifts or planes as I would get claustrophobic and have a panic attack. I spent most of my 20s in an otherworldly state of anti-depressants, valium and beta-blockers. I finally kicked them in my early 30s.

After a period of relative stability I did a fear of flying course in 1991 as my wife was ill and wanted to visit one of her best friends in Fiji and I needed to go with her.

It wasn't the flying or safety I was worried about (I ride a motorcycle and a pushbike and apart from horseriding I don't think there's a more dangerous way to travel!) but the fear of the panic attack always reared its head and the course helped to me to control them.

After the course I did a few flights before the trip to Fiji. First leg was to New Orleans and I discovered that on long haul people kept on giving me beer and I ended up (against all the recommendations) pretty much drinking my way around the world. Great place New Orleans. I thoroughly enjoyed it even if there were two shootings just around the corner to our hotel while we were there and I was given a map with red lines on it and told not to cross those lines. I later found out they were the boundary of an area called Treme (a brilliant series btw).

We took the train to San Francisco (a fantastic trip) and had a few days with an old work colleague before flying to Fiji (once again with Mr. Beer providing a helping hand).

On our return I made a few flights to Europe then 20 years ago I was asked to go to Jersey to help close a computer system down. It had to be done at weekends and I made 8 or 9 trips over a 10 week period. I'd drink a couple of brandies before I got on the flight each time. For some reason I started to get more and more nervous until on the last flight I very nearly didn't get on. I swore then I'd never fly again and that's how it's been up to now.

I'm 65 now and am thinking that if I want to travel more extensively I need to do something. I have a daughter in Switzerland and the only way I can get there is to drive or ride across France and I do that every year. It would be so much easier to climb on a plane! I also go to France and Spain every year by bike or car.

I enjoy the journey but sometimes the idea of just flying somewhere is quite appealing.

I'm looking at another course. Perhaps I'll do that and see how it goes and I may end up trying to meet some of forum members in the future!

Cheers

Dick
1 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:21 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:27 am
Dick, the piano sounds good and real. (These tools do use actual sounds from instruments being played.) I'm probably going to get EZ Keys as a song writing tool that I can supplement with my real playing. I just don't want to download it into this dying PC.

Lost America, or Americana, as it is usually called, is like abandoned motels along Route 66, for example. We have Route 40 here in Maryland and all the old places from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, like gas stations, motels, diners, drive-in movie theaters, etc., have been replaced by shopping malls and such, but some of the old, decaying structures, still stand. Much like the Chicken Boy sign.

You come to America and I'll go to London and we'll pass each other in mid-air.

Thanks Sean. I don't often use EZKeys but it is an impressive piece of work. Give it a set of chords and it will put together a very creditable piece. I still haven't really explored what it can do but there are a few YT videos showing how to use it that are very useful.

Richard and I have both developed an interest in Americana and we get a lot of alt-country/Americana musicians playing in Brighton and I know the promoter who will put me onto the good stuff.

Yeah, one day we'll swap countries maybe!

Incidentally I'm meeting Charles (chf on this board) on Monday and possibly Tim (ferret) in London. I don't think either of them are doing any music now although I'm just finalising a song that Tim gave me the bridge for. Watch this space.

btw there was a discussion on the radio the other day when a presenter was taken to task for pronouncing Maryland wrong.

Someone had written in saying it should be Merrylund rather than Mary Land. They had quite an argument about it. All fairly pointless really but what's the proper pronunciation? ;)
0 x