Angela, PS-02, original, rock

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Beatnick

Angela, PS-02, original, rock

Post by Beatnick » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:06 am

I got my EP out, I'll be posting more tracks later, but I won't be posting all of them in one day. This is a rock number called Angela. It actually started as a slower piano song. I wrote It on my mothers piano back in 1989. I wrote all my early songs on my mothers piano until I got a decent keyboard and eventually started playing guitar. When I started playing guitar, early in the 2000s, I completely reinvented the song. It went from ballad to rocker. It was pretty much recorded the same way all the other songs during this session were recorded. I recorded the main track with a basic drum beat. Then recorded the other tracks and edited the drum and bass. I did the final mix on my PC using audacity. Enjoy.

Listen to Angela on Bandcamp

Listen to Angela on SoundCloud
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Angela, PS-02, original, rock

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 pm

This is a very clear sounding recording. Did you use an effect or record multiple times to double your vocal track? Great job either way. Nice to hear the bass and like the sound of the organ. The guitar held chords have very nice tone.

Even though I like the vocal effect I think you overdid it a little. You lost clarity of speech a little bit as the effect overpowers your words. If you ever do a remix try dropping the gain of the vocal effect until you can't hear it then boost the effect gain until you THINK (but you're not sure) you can hear it. The effect will still fortify your mix but will not be as overpowering.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Unfortunately, all the master tracks from that recording session (and most of my old songs) were stored on a USB that failed, so there's no chance of a remix. In fact, the only songs I could remix if I wanted to are the ones I did on my Tascam DP-1 because they are on the hard drive still and anything I have on my R8.

I did use a chorus on the vocal. I read years ago that Ozzy Osbourne used chorus on his vocals a lot so I tend to use it a lot now when I think my voice needs a little help (almost always). Sometimes I'll also use it to get a pseudo choir effect too. I did that during the chorus of another song on this EP called "We Can Prevail.'

The organ is my Casio CTK-6000. All the keyboards on the EP came from there. I wish I still had my PS-02 to look up the guitar effects. I'm pretty sure it was the Marshall effect with a touch of chorus and reverb, I could be wrong though. One thing I do remember for sure, I used the same guitar patch for this song and "All Those Things We Said."
1 x
My YouTube channel

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 am

Solid work :)

Nice tone on the guitar and once again I'm impressed by what you manage with the PS02.

It has a late 70s feel about it. I'm thinking of Blondie and The Cars.

Nicely done.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Beatnick

Post by Beatnick » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Definitely 2 bands that I like, so thank you. In fact, Ric Ocasek is one of my vocal inspirations that I sometimes TRY to mimic. I think the worst part of the PS-02 is the limited amount of patterns to work with. If you listen I used the same pattern hear that I used with The Common Man because I couldn't find anything else that worked. Sometimes I would hear a bass part that would work, but it was mixed with a drum part that would not. I think the one thing that really would have improved the PS-02 is the ability to mix and match the drum and bass patterns if that makes sense. I guess you could do that with the pattern editor, but I did not own that. I did buy the one for the R8 though. Anyway, not to ramble on. Thanks for the listen, Dick. And one last thing. I've really been listening to The Band Were Playing Ukulele since I installed the BandCamp app. That's definitely my favorite that I've heard by you so far.
Last edited by Beatnick on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
My YouTube channel

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks for the update! The fact you manage to use the PS02 as well as you do is very impressive even with the limitations.

I'm pleased you're getting your head around Bandcamp and thanks for the Ukulele comments :)
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Good one. I like that electric guitar style. Good lyrics too.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson