Nagging, PS02, Original, Rock

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Nagging, PS02, Original, Rock

Post by Beatnick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 am

Another song from my EP. This is definitely one of those cases where lyrics just came to me and have nothing to do with anything that was going on in my life at the time. If anything it might reflect the type of music I was listening to at the time. It was written in the late 90s when I was just getting into Marillion. Not much can be said about how I recorded it. As usual I started with the main instrument on the first track and built it from there. I know I kept experimenting with different effects on my voice at the beginning and I know there's a lot of reverb. I was going for a reverse reverb effect there and I could not acheive it so I ended up over reverbing it. Enjoy.

Listen to Nagging on Bandcamp
Listen to Nagging on SoundCloud
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: Nagging, PS02, Original, Rock

Post by dickl » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Full on lyrics!

Atmospheric beginning and shifts nicely into rock mode.

Clever arrangement and perhaps you did overdo the reverb ;)

Cheers

Dick
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am

Woah, Dude! Cut back on that reverb!! The first part has so much verb that I can't understand the lyric. Reverb is best used in moderation to create dimension or space. You're using it for a special effect, which is cool if that's what you really want but it crushes the crap out of the lyrics. You might want to experiment with some delay instead of verb but keep the timing controlled because too much delay can wind up sounding worse than too much verb. But I think some moderate delay is more what you're trying to accomplish.

I really like the lyrics (what I could understand).

:^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm

Thanks for the input. I 100% agree there's too much reverb at the beginning. I was trying to do something totally different, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I ended up doing like 3 different reverb effects and it is overbearing, though I've gotten used to it since I've heard it that way so many times. The effect I was actually going for was more of a reverse delay or reverb, where you here the delayed part first then the actual vocals part. I know Marillion has done an effect like that on some of their songs, but I couldn't figure out how to do it myself. Anyway the lyrics are on the Bandcamp page.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm

I agree with John. It's too 'verb heavy in the beginning. Have you tried singing in different keys to see if they better suit your voice? Overall the song fits together nicely. I like the organ throughout. I think you are intentionally putting in a flat note as I hear it a couple times in the song. I the lyrics! Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path