I'm Right, You're Wrong : original, collab

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
dickl
The Force
The Force

I'm Right, You're Wrong : original, collab

Post by dickl » Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 am

Not a lot going on here at the moment but I'll throw this in anyway.

In an exchange of messages on Macjams a while back with Mark Spuce (Hickling-Stan) we both said we'd deleted our FB profiles and we had a discussion about social media. He said he had thought about writing a song called I'm Right, You're Wrong.

A few days later whilst bashing out some chords I got the words to the first verse with the idea that we'd have a conversation as if on Twitter. Mark came up with the poll idea and the 2nd verse, me the 3rd and so on.

The bridge is a true story about a guy I knew from school. We smoked dope, listened to Trout Mask and were generally your average liberal, lefty, hippy students in the late 60s early 70s. Many years later he contacted me on Facebook and after a few exchanges of views I realised he'd become everything we were against when we were students. Right wing, comfortable and liberal hating. He said I should have left all that left wing student stuff behind years ago and I should grow up. He wasn't a friend on FB very long.

Initially I had an idea to try a Buddy Holly style of strummed guitar but somehow it moved into an almost African sound.
There are a lot of words here so the song is quite long. I've tried to break it up as much as possible.

Me: vocals, lyrics, music
Mark: vocals, lyrics, original concept

I'm Right, You're Wrong © 2019 Langford/Spruce

You're angry at the idiots who don't share your point of view
I wouldn't worry too much as they think the same of you
I'm right, you're wrong that's how it works on Twitter
Spending any time there is going to leave you bitter
Twitter poll, would you rather be a penguin or a chimpanzee?
It's just a bit of fun but answer honestly
I'd be a monkey swinging through the trees
You won't catch me eating fish
Or diving into icy seas

A Twitter poll's never just for fun
I take it seriously
Your animalistic prejudices
Are plain for all to see

I can see where you are going with this
Just get back up in your tree
I’d rather be a penguin
Are you trying to make a monkey out of me?

I'm right, you're wrong
I'm right you're wrong
I'm right you're wrong
I'm right you're wrong

I can't believe your point of view
What planet do you come from?
Of course you won't find common ground
Because I'm right, your wrong.
I'm right you're wrong

I read your social media comments
Anger drives me round the bend
They make me respond with venom
Never stop (to think) before I hit send

Why won't you listen to me, why won't you listen to me?

I thought we were friends once
We shared a joint or two
Listened to Captain Beefheart
but I never knew
it was just a game for you
now you say I should grow-up
Sorry my old-friend you just make me want to throw up

You only hear want you want to hear
You don't really want to learn
If listen to the idiots
You're never going to turn
Stupid is your favourite word
You can't hold a conversation
Your vocabulary's limited
You need some education

How did your views get so extreme?
Did you learn nothing at school?
Unlike me you're uninformed
You speak the words of a fool
Can't you understand
Can't you just try to hear
If I just type louder
Maybe you'll disappear

I'm right, you're wrong
I'm right you're wrong
I'm right you're wrong
I'm right you're wrong
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Re: I'm Right, You're Wrong : original, collab

Post by Chris C » Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Ok, I have to say the drum intro thing didn't really get my hopes up. But man, I really dig this song. I like the lyrics, feel and melody, but it's the arranging that really appeals to me.

There are lots of interesting details in the guitar parts, like that little guitar part that comes in about halfway through the first verse. And some really cool arranging things, Like the flute thing. Cool!

I like that you have two lead vocals. And the panning on the "I'm right you're wrong" part. And the "stop before I hit send" break. And the way you came out of that bridge. Effective.

The brass choir sounding thing in the "we used to be friends" bit is really cool too, as is the outro. Lots of effective arranging.

Nice song!
1 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed May 08, 2019 8:53 pm

Fantastic recording. There is so much going on in the instrumentation that it's hard to know what I was hearing. How did you keep that going for so long? Anything over three minutes is an opera for me these days.

I too loved the electric guitar bits. What other instruments did you play, Dick? Did you use some programs, etc?

The song has a Caribbean feel to it combined with The Who vibes. Mark sounds like Roger Daltrey.

How did you program that drum pause?

Very nice. Great lyrics and story too.

All round outstanding product you've posted here. Great job to both of you.

:rock:

p.s. I don't expect you to answer all those questions. :whistle:

p.s.s. I gave Britain in Bloom another spin. I love that song. It's a true masterpiece in concept, writing, presentation, and production. :heart:
Last edited by The Cracks on Wed May 08, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu May 09, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks guys!

Chris: Laziness from me with the drums. I kept meaning to chop the beginning but got so involved with the rest of the song and so used to the beginning forgot all about it!

I spent a long time with this song. With so many lyrics I had to find ways to break up the sections so I'm glad that came across. Paul Simon said, in an interview I saw a few years ago, that he tries to make every verse different. That might be slightly different vocal phrasing or rhyming scheme or instrumentation and I try to work with that idea. In this song it was mainly how many guitars and what they were doing!

Many thanks for the listen and comments.

Sean: It was never meant to be that long but we had to try and resolve the argument! As I said to Chris, I had to find ways of varying the verses and that meant different guitar lines.

I played all the guitar parts and the bass and also the other instruments (tin whistle, some brass and some African percussion) via a midi keyboard.

The drums are from Logic and it was just a matter of dropping them out for the stop and bringing them back in again.

There's a base of straight "Buddy Holly" strumming that runs all the way through and I played in one hit (it's only 3 chords!). Then there are variations on the pattern in different inversions and styles. I played most of them in one hit from beginning to end and brought them in and out of the mix.

Mark will be pleased about the Daltrey comparison! Mark doing Giving it All Away

Thanks for the listen and comments and thanks for the Britain in Bloom comments :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Yeah, I agree that usually every verse should have a little something different and you definitely succeeded here. To me a sign of a well arranged song is that it's nice and catchy the first time, then on subsequent listens there are little details to keep the listener interested. You succeeded here!
1 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 pm

dickl wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:13 am
Mark will be pleased about the Daltrey comparison! Mark doing Giving it All Away
It sounded good.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks Chris and Sean :)
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Mon May 13, 2019 6:42 am

I like this. The lyrics are really good. I definitely feel that way about social media a lot. I'm always saying I'm going to leave social media because I get so fed up with the stupid stuff there. The political views and conspiracy theories and people posting stupid sayings and memes. It drives me crazy sometimes. Back to your song, the music is catchy. The guitar playing and tune reminds me of The Grateful Dead (80s Grateful Dead specifically). You really seem to have a wide range of styles going in your music. I definitely like that.
1 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks Nick.

My old band was sometimes described as listening to a juke box as we tried to make every song different. I think, in the end, we may have caused ourselves more problems as we didn't have an identifiable style.

Social media, the ultimate double edged sword. It can be life affirming or life draining.

Grateful Dead is an interesting comparison. I was never a fan of them and I once gave up and went home after 3 hours of them at a festival in 1972!

I did like Terrapin Station though.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Thu May 16, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm not a fan of the Grateful Dead either, but I do like the song Touch of Grey a lot. This one kind of reminds me of that era. I've often been compared to bands I never listened to either. One of my friends compares me to Neil Young even though I've never been a fan.
1 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 am

Dick,
I love this one! The clever lyrics really make it. It’s funny and thoughtful also. That plus the vocal performance remind me of The Kinks, especially “Lola”. The mix is good and the recording is right on. Good stuff mate! Glenn
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks Glenn, the Kinks show their face again (comments on another music site mentioned them!)

I wasn't consciously trying for the Kinks but I'm more than happy to be in that bracket as Ray Davies is one of my favourite writers.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:57 am

Well, well, Mr. Langford: Talking about being socially relevant. This song just about sums it all up and ties it with a pretty pink bow. Maybe one day we'll get off our own perches and fly free of the gilded cages we've locked ourselves in and perhaps then, we can get our hands dirty with the business of living together on this one planet that was created for all of us

The music rolls with a bit of African and Kentucky bluegrass twang, they wed together well. Loved the the trade off of vocals, the panning left/right, the great strumming and the flute adds a nice touch. Bang-up job on both your parts! Excellent collab!
0 x
Roy-Al

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks Roy.

I don't have the faith anymore that things will change in my lifetime but I try to leave positive messages for my children and grandchildren.

It was one of those songs which took off in an unexpected direction. It was supposed to sound like Buddy Holly :)

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dick
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Well dickl you've done it again! Another masterpiece. I'm glad the conversation gave you the seed idea for this.

The song itself is not my cup of tea but the arrangement, instrumentation, vocals and mixing is top notch. There was a lot to be said in the lyrics but you pulled it off. Kept my interest until the end.
1 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:15 am

Thanks Jim, much appreciated :)
0 x