X.Y.Z. (X-amining you, Zoe), Yamaha cassette 4 track, original, rock

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

X.Y.Z. (X-amining you, Zoe), Yamaha cassette 4 track, original, rock

Post by Beatnick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:07 pm

This is a song from the vaults. Basically, a demo from before I was playing guitar and everything was programmed on my Technics KN-1000 keyboard so forgive the cheesy fake guitar.

I posted this on MeWe recently and got some positive reactions so I decided to put it on my SoundCloud page. I'm kind of reworking my SoundCloud page and only posting my "singles" there and some extra bonus tracks there. To be honest, I'm kind of fed up with SoundCloud though. Seems like a lot of fake people there. As soon as I post something I'll get a few likes, but I don't get any actual listens to the song. I don't know what they gain by doing that. But that's another discussion.

This was written early in the 90s and recorded around 1998. I had a 4 track Yamaha cassette recorder by then, but i don't know which one. I pretty much recorded all the music on one track and my vocals on another. When I mixed it I used some kind of effect unit in the effect loop for my vocals, again I'm not sure which one, but it might have been a Zoom 505.

When I put it on MeWe, I did clean it up a bit with audacity on my laptop. A little EQ to bring down the bass a bit because it was very overbearing and some noise reduction.

There's really not much to say about it. Enjoy.

Listen to X.Y.Z. (X-amining you, Zoe) by Beatnick's Odyssey on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/beatnicksodyssey ... ng-you-zoe
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Re: X.Y.Z. (X-amining you, Zoe), Yamaha cassette 4 track, original, rock

Post by Chris C » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Nice song. I'd be curious to hear it with different textures - real guitar, maybe less effects on vocals. Basically how you might approach it today. I really like what you did with the ending.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Re: X.Y.Z. (X-amining you, Zoe), Yamaha cassette 4 track, original, rock

Post by Beatnick » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Agreed on everything. I just figured out the chords so I might revisit it. I'd probably have to completely rework it though. I know I probably can't play that bass line (I'm not that fast) and I really have no idea what I programmed into the keyboard back then. I could probably play the guitar part (when I programmed guitar back then I was always careful about using real guitar chords), but I know I can't sing it and play it at the same time. That's one of the reasons I don't play that much when I sing. I still might revisit it though.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously