Waiting org/Yamaha PSRE403/Big Baby Taylor/Cl1/SP1/Mixcaft 5/BnB

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Waiting org/Yamaha PSRE403/Big Baby Taylor/Cl1/SP1/Mixcaft 5/BnB

Post by The Cracks » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm

This song has been through several revisions since I first posted it yesterday and the history of my struggle with it is too long and, frankly, not that interesting, so here are the main points of interest:

It's my attempt at a road song.

I have a very bad cold so the vocals aren't the best but I kept them since they sound a bit "weary" and fit the song topic.

I created the main framework of this song on EZKeys (I bought the program). It was very useful although I didn't use the EZKey piano track on the recording. But it was what launched the project.

The song was originally 4:30 minutes long, which is way too much for a slow song like this so I edited out the bridge and several rounds of the chorus, which brought the song to 3:04 (that version was up on this forum yesterday). But I felt removing the bridge and end took away from the song so I put it all back and the song is again 4:30. (Edit note: The song was way too long at 4:30 so I trimmed the bridge and last round of chorus out. The song is a more manageable 3:20.)

The track listing is:

Keys (pianos, strings) - Yamaha PSRE403 into Mixcraft 5, via Cl1 interface

Big Baby Taylor - into Mixcraft 5 via SP1 mic through Cl1 interface

Drums & bass - Band-in-a-Box (wave tracks transferred to Mixcraft 5).

Vocals - one track into Mixcraft 5 via SP1 mic through Cl1 interface and then duplicated with a slight delay on the second track.

Here is:

Waiting (Bandcamp version)

Waiting (Soundclick version)

Thanks for any listens and comments.
Last edited by The Cracks on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Re: Waiting org/Yamaha PSRE403/Big Baby Taylor/Cl1/SP1/Mixcaft 5/BnB

Post by dickl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:16 am

Weary indeed. I think you made the right decision about the vocals, they suit the song perfectly.

Very melancholic and it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself it's going to be OK!

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Sean,
Your cold gives your vocals a Tom Waits sound to them. In a cool way! The mix seems pretty good, except the drum track seems a little underrepresented except the fills which seem to work. If it's a road song I'd be going about 5mph! :)

Good stuff!
Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 am

dickl wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:16 am
Weary indeed.
:lol:

I just listened to it again after not hearing it for a week or so and it was almost too long and "weary" to finish listening to. No song this "weary" should be this long.

Thanks for listen and comments, Dick. Other than the unbearable length, the song isn't that bad. It's really a two minute song living in a operatic piece's skin.

Glenn, it's so slow you might have to go in reverse when listening to it. :lol:

Thanks for listen and comments. I did have trouble with the mix. I can't get the tones quite right as my pc is dying. I'm lucky to even still be recording on this old thing.

FYI - I cut the bridge and last chorus out so the song is now a more manageable 3:20 long. (Dick and Glenn deserve metals for listening to the long version. Thanks to both of you.)
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Roy-Al
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Roy-Al » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Alright now! That song was full of passion and your voice sent it right to my soul. Wish I could produce stuff like this while I'm "Waiting."
0 x
Roy-Al

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:16 pm

I like the song lyrics. Normally I don't pay attention to the lyrics that much but your vocal delivery drew me in. That impresses me since that's what a vocal is supposed to do.

The mix and arrangement are solid, but that seems to be true with all your songs. You have a good ear for what needs to come out of the speakers. I haven't developed the knowledge and skills to create a mix that sounds that good.

Interesting that the drums and bass tracks are generated from Band-in-a-Box; RealTrack and RealDrums I assume. It's also interesting that you used EZKeys to frame the foundation. The audio production tools available to home studios continually amaze me with their capabilities. I have the 2019 Band-in-a-Box UltraPlus PAK. It was released around December, 2018 and I still haven't fully explored the package.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks for listen and comments Roy. Good to see you back. "...your voice sent it right to my soul." Wow. I'll take it! Thanks!

Jim, thank you for listen and comments. Thanks for the "solid" mix review. Mixing is my least favorite part of recording and, with this old PC, the most difficult. And, yes, one could produce an entire album using presets, and other tools, and not touch a real instrument and I dare say it might sound pretty good. I'll bet the Band-in-a-Box 2019 version could turn out to be very useful. I could have done this song entirely with BnB and EZKeys, but, even though I am a weak musician, I still demand (of myself) some real instruments on each recording. Fake drums, most of use. Fake bass is pushing it. Add a fake piano and I feel that it would be too much for me. (Now, V, I think, uses several layers of "fake" instruments and it works fine.) Whenever I record and I am tempted to go all fake sounds, I think of old members like Pete, Sungodv, Dick (still active), and others, and imagine the frowns on their faces. I did do a few all BnB songs (on my 2012 album, I think) that aren't too bad. But it was more like a fad period and I don't want to return to it. I'd rather record a song with just one real piano than an entire orchestra of fake instruments (although one could argue that my "piano" is actually a fake instrument since it's a PSRE403 with many presets that I use all the time in songs (i.e., strings).
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website