To Merge, or not to merge, that is the question

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should we merge New Songs with More Music?

Yes, allow everything in New Songs, merge the forums
45%
No, keep it the way it is.
55%

Total votes: 20

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

To Merge, or not to merge, that is the question

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:58 pm

In order to make a more cohesive community, some have suggested opening up New Songs to everyone, regardless of whether they used their Zoom toys to make a song or not. The idea is to merge New Songs with More Music.

This could water down the focus of the forum a little, but would help keep old timers who move on to other music making tools right here where we want them. I'm looking for your opinion on this proposed change. Vote, comment, or both.
Last edited by Zoetrope on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:26 pm

Come to think of it, I've posted songs in both the New Songs (Zoom) section and the More Music (non-Zoom) section already. Old band stuff...

Perhaps only a rename is needed?

I can't help but think that a full blown merge challenges the community’s very identity and underlying purpose. Unless, of course, that purpose has somehow changed. Some have commented in the past how the folks here seem to be of a higher caliber than some of the other home recording groups and I honestly think that the tools have assisted to that end.

Hardly a day goes by that I don’t almost emphatically encourage fellow musicians to go out and buy an MRS8 or PS04… seriously. Part of the reason is that I can help them get started with it due to the (again) common “toolset”. I always go on to brag about this group <this is where the violin starts playing> and then I direct them to the site... :cry:
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:10 pm

I voted, now I'll post. I went for the merge them together. Seems like the next evolutionary step for the songs area.

Meanwhile, the technical help sections stay as they are, so PS-0x and MRS users can post for specific help.

Although not mandatory rules for posting in new songs, I think there should be a sticky with guiding principles of posting a new song:
1. Name the equipment used to record
2. Review at least one other person's song per new song you post
3. <any other generally good community principles anyone else can think of>
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:22 pm

I voted to merge, but would have selected:

>Merge only if there is a sticky explaining what Jeffster said.<

But that was not a category.

Howard
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:31 pm

Since I don't currently own any Zoom products* I don't feel I have the right to a vote... so I won't. but I will comment, and my comment is...

just tell me where to post. :shock: :lol:

*I found this site while researching the PS-02 and later the 04, but given my needs, the PC in my practice area (one that was sitting forgotten in a box) was the best solution. I liked the "vibe" here so I hung out and am happy I did.

FWIW, I am one of a handful of moderators on a saxophone forum that has about 10,000 registered members, so it can get confusing figuring out how it should be organized. My hat's off to you Zoe.

Omegaman, for all your saxual needs. :twisted:
0 x

pedwards
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pedwards » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:18 pm

Since I was one of the ones that came to this Forum before More Music and I was using a MRS-4 I was relagated to the More Music when it was established (I was probably one of the first to post there) and it was a lonely place. I thought at that time that a lot of the things I was learning would be useful for any sort of recording I thought they should be combined. Well I bought a MRS-8 and was able to post again to New Songs and there definitely a difference in the reception.

I agree with Jeff that it is helpful to others if you give a brief run down of the equipment/process used in your recording. Also this being a give receive thing try to review others work. I try when I have time to pop and review the top 5 but lately time has been a bit tight. If everyone would review 1 or 2 songs for each one they post it would help. I know sometimes its hard cause when you're an old fart like me it is difficult to say something constructive about songs that fall outside your comfort zone.[/u]
0 x

scope

Post by scope » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 am

I voted to keep it the way it is.

I joined this site in Jan 2004 then disappeared off the face of the internet and didn't record anything for over a year. When I returned from the dark side, I searched around for a place to start posting. There are numerous home recording boards - what makes this one stand out as an obvious choice for Zoomers is it is tied to the technology and we all share in the passion of using these wee, cheap, plastic wonders. This shared passion brings an extra element to the board, I believe, than a general recording forum, which we are all still free to use.

I voted because I believe you don't want to lose that. I think it's just an attitude thing - I never visit the other category but perhaps I would over time as the specific people I have grown to respect and be a "regular listener" of their music move on to bigger and (perhaps naively) better things.

Still got those violins Lee ;) ?
0 x
If you're not chasing your dreams... you might as well be a vegetable.

http://www.mattsmith.co.nz
Just The Originals (SoundClick)

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:56 am

Wow, I really am the last person to be putting up posting rules (since I never read them :oops: ) but we'll try it out and see what happens. (I also went back and edited the post title on my 2 most recent songs so that I'm not violating my new rules :shock: ).

Fingers crossed.
For those who see this as a potential first step toward merger, it is. But I haven't made up my mind yet, so keep voting and posting. What I'm reading here is very very helpful feedback.
0 x

ferret
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ferret » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:46 pm

It's unlikely that anyone would join - or even find - this site if they didn't own a Zoom or have an interest in owning one. So this site is not merely a music posting forum like SoundClick.

Zoetrope is right to recognize that folks move on - my PS04 opened up a new world to me, but I now use it mainly for drums and effects. That's my choice.

The fact is that this community gave me a boost when I really needed it, and even now I look forward to logging on in the evening after work. To me, it's about music and friendship - not a little box of microchips. I'd hate to lose that just because I have started to use a different device.

What are we worried about? Some people might post music on our site that wasn't recorded on Zoom products? Let's think about why they might do this (assuming they had even found us in the first place). It would be because they recognize this as a vibrant web community, supportive but critical, and full of good music and good advice. I see no problem in that - and they might even start to think about whether Zoom products are worth a serious look!

Everyone wins.

Regards,

Ferret
0 x

JamesMGregg
dues paid
dues paid

Post by JamesMGregg » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:57 pm

This is a PS02, PS04, and MRS forum.
I think the Songs forum should reflect this focus and be specifically designed for those who use these devices, particularly due to the apparent uniqueness of Zoom products.

If you use Roland, Yamaha, etc. then feel free to post on their support boards, if they have them, or post in the "More Music" forum.

I think a specific forum helps those of us who post songs and listen to others' songs to "compare & contrast" more - if I know my work was recorded on the same basic device as Tonyoci's, Ferret's, and Zoetrope's et al., it helps me to get an immediate sense of what CAN and SHOULD be done with these devices, and I learn more about my own recording techniques.

If we start mixing in Roland, Yamaha etc. users then I think we will dilute the effectiveness and purpose of the board.

I also don't see the benefit of mixing them together.
0 x
James M. Gregg
http://www.soundclick.com/zerobasecollective - my new project, Nu-Jazz
http://www.soundclick.com/jamesmgregg - my earlier work, Indie-Pop-Rock

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:36 pm

Zoe,

I like the new title/subtitle:
New Songs
The place to post your latest PS-02, PS-04, or MRS creation and review music by other board members. If you post a song, please review a song.
I would like to see the Other Music say changed from:
More Music (not PS-02 or PS-04)
Post music from your non-Zoom projects here. Garageband, N-track, Pro Tools Free, whatever. If it's music, post it!
to
More Music (not PS-02, PS-04 or MRS)
Post music from your non-Zoom projects here. Garageband, N-track, Pro Tools Free, whatever. If it's music, post it!
Adding the MRS to the list.

If there is no merge, I think that, even if I should move beyond the PS-04, I would only post in the New Songs if at least part of the song was recorded on a Zoom product. If I had a song that had nothing to do with a Zoom product, I would post it under More Music.

BTW: I like your new sticky on Posting Rules in New Songs. It's friendly, and to the point. For now, I think there should be a similar one in Other Music, until and unless they merge, if they are going to.

My 2-cents.

Howard
0 x

Macca
Rising Star
Rising Star

just lurking around

Post by Macca » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I too like the sticky in here with the posting rules, nice one.

As already said up there somewhere by someone else, I probably wouldn't have found the site if I wasn't looking for reviews of the ps04 before I ordered it, i've been hooked ever since. A great community spirit here, like ferret said, I always look forward to getting a chance to read the posts. I've often had the page in the background for hours, hitting refresh every so often looking for another post!! For many reasons, I haven't been around much recently (much to my annoyance I didn't see the post regarding Zoomilation 3 and the case of the missing emails and spam filter... grrr) but I still pop back now and then. I can't believe how active the forums are now! A testament to the creativity of the forum dudes.. So, for that Zoetrope, thanks indeed. Whatever happens, merge or not, i'm sure the place will continue as is.

I voted No to the merger, I like the fact that stuff in here is recorded on the PS04. I listen to the songs on here and it gives me the kind of "if they can get it to sound that good, so can I" buzz (although i've never got close to the top standard posts here, YET!!). Althought, I can also see it from the other point of view, it would certainly pool everyone together. I for one have probably never ventured into anything that isn't PS04 related on here.
Shamefully, I haven't yet order the Z3 album, I'll have to get round to it soon - i've stopped sulking that my stuff wasn't good enough :lol: :lol:

I hope to be back soon, looking forward to Zoomilation 4 - or even better, what about Xmas @ the zoo (Carols in the key of Zoom)? The perfect gift for loved ones neglated in the name of recording? ha! :D

rock on dudes,
0 x
\m/

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Zoe,

Just logged on again and saw this:
New Songs (Zoom)
The place to post your latest PS-02, PS-04, or MRS creation and review music by other board members. If you post a song, please review a song.

More Music (not Zoom)
Now that's clear!

Now I know you read these posts almost as fast as they are posted.

Incredible!

Howard
0 x

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:19 am

I voted no but the question i have is do the posts need to be totally zoom products,not the mixing as i understand most of us use software of various forms to mix and master but for example one of my previous songs where i used the ps-04 for the drums and guitar effects but i recorded them into n-track.
I am looking at doing some more of this to try and achieve a more studio sound even though i know i will get no where near it. :P
I don't mind posting this in the more music section at all.
Its great to see everyone involved here and to see zoe really working with everyone to make this already fantastic forum even better.

I will be back next week to listen to some of the posts since my absence but man where do i start. :?
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:17 am

Howard wrote:Now I know you read these posts almost as fast as they are posted.
I know a good idea when I see one. Because of the way these subforums evolved the wording was less than crystal clear. Thanks for pointing that out.

Meanwhile, the vote is getting pretty close. Call in Dan Rather. The vote is "closer than Lassie and Timmy"
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:19 pm

Zoetrope wrote:I know a good idea when I see one.
Pshaw... :oops:
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:23 pm

Is this useful? I have outgrown my Zoom, but I doubt I will outgrow this community.

The best piece of kit that any of us have is our brain. I like to try to flex it here. I hope that I won't be prevented from doing so merely because it hasn't got a Yokohama despatch code riveted on it's (rippled) underside...

Yours, enthusiastically

Chf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Long live Gudrun, the goddess of lost plectra
0 x