To Merge, or not to merge, that is the question

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should we merge New Songs with More Music?

Yes, allow everything in New Songs, merge the forums
45%
No, keep it the way it is.
55%

Total votes: 20

StingerT125
Jedi
Jedi

Post by StingerT125 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:02 pm

I kind of like how you have it set up now. I don't really care which way it goes tough. I will still check the songs out. It does feel like a community here, and I love the diversity of the music that is posted.

As long as people keep creating I will listen.
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:35 pm

I feel compelled to clear up what seems to be some misinformation regarding the current state of the site and the poll question itself.
One post in favor of the change says…
What are we worried about? Some people might post music on our site that wasn't recorded on Zoom products?
I doubt that any “no voter” is motivated by this in light of the fact that it can and does already go on at this site today. It is our very awareness of this fact that causes us to not see the need for a merge to begin with. The real fear is with folks who believe their good work may be overlooked if posted in the non-Zoom section. That, is the worry that started this dialog.

Another post in favor of the change says…
The best piece of kit that any of us have is our brain. I like to try to flex it here. I hope that I won't be prevented from doing so merely because it hasn't got a Yokohama despatch code riveted on it's (rippled) underside...
Please folks, we’re all sincere and I appreciate that, but let’s not let that deteriorate our dialog into spin. Nobody is being prevented from posting anything up here and never has been. Again, the real question is… to date, this has been a Zoom-centric site, and as a community we’re being asked to revisit that premise by no longer making a categorical distinction between Zoom recorded songs and everything else that can be used to record.

No offense meant at all... just clarity.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:34 am

The problem with this site is that I can no longer listen to the radio:

I am always analizing.

-too much stereo separation
-drums too high
-muddy vocals
-could have used more guitar in that one
-seems to be a problem with the synthesizer track
-good mix, wonder which unit it was recorded on
-oh, that's right, this is the radio

It's a darn shame!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:18 pm

Well, for now at least I guess I'll keep things the way they are. But I'm always open to ideas for improving this forum. Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'll leave the poll open for all the absentee ballots. :wink:
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:33 am

nicka wrote:do the posts need to be totally zoom products
I think that recording the song tracks on a Zoom digital recorder and then mixing them with ntrack has an established history of acceptance in New Songs. Zoetrope should certainly correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe it is his standard route as well (it was due to Zoe sharing his ntrack experiences here with us that convinced me to get it, and I'm glad that I did). 8)
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

nicka
Yoda
Yoda

Post by nicka » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:41 am

Hey thanks Jeffster but what i am doing here is acctually recording into n-track using the ps_04 only as an effects unit but i was planning on using the ps_04 but now also i am looking at getting some digital drums for a new toy to play with.
This will now push me into the more music section but i don't mind as its going to be fun playing around with them.
I'm not taking anything away from the ps_04 as i think the drums sound pretty good in the box but i just thought i would destroy my songs even more. :roll: :wink:
0 x

sbata
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sbata » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:01 am

nicka wrote:This will now push me into the more music section but i don't mind as its going to be fun playing around with them.
Alright, a new recruit! Come join us down in 'More Music' basement! We like to think of our music as "underground" and off the main stream. You should know that you won't get as much exposure with the big-name talent scouts, though. Down here it's all about the music, man. :wink:
0 x

Trace
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Trace » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:28 pm

Looks like I'm late to the game, but this is an interesting topic. I realize I haven't posted in several months, but I do check in from time to time to see what's going on. Hopefully I'll have another recording to post sometime soon and get a chance to catch up on the work of the current regulars.

Anyway, my rambling, disorganized thoughts are along these lines:

There are tons of places on the internet to listen to home recordings and there is no end to the amount of money and time people are willing to sink into their home studio setups. Go check out sites like tapeop.com or homerecording.com to see what lengths people will go to in order to find a "pro" sound - many come very close. But, that's a slippery slope where you can quickly find yourself spending tens of thousands of dollars on pieces of gear and many more hours learning to use it (rather than writing music!).

The thing I always liked about this community was that everyone was pretty much on equal footing and was working with the same technology. Obviously some of us (myself included) choose to mix on a computer or use sounds recorded elsewhere, but in general, I find the limitations of a $200 recorder just as inspiring as the larger palette of options an expansive studio setup would give me. I love hearing what people can do with these cheap little plastic recorders that fit in a guitar case. I also like that the community kind of shrugs off the "quest for hi fidelity" and concentrates on making music in a direct and accessible way - from the living room couch, riding the train home from work, or in between classes. I love that immediacy. Guerilla recording at it's best.

I know there is a concern that people will "move on" to better equipment - and some will. But not everyone here is a beginner. A number of people here have had more expensive and powerful recording setups but still choose to use the Zooms for the simplicity and directness.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how the forums are organized to me. But I definitely would want to see the technology and methods involved in the recording. I guess the means are just as fascinating to me as the end result.
0 x
Life is so short, we must move very slowly.
-Thai proverb

radiofreesrini
dues paid
dues paid

you gotta keep 'em separated

Post by radiofreesrini » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:25 am

interesting changes afoot here! i'm excited about the new "more music" section as i have a lot of music (almost all originals) recorded on all kinds of gear that i would love to have others hear and review. as a matter of fact i'm probably going to take a turn towards originals on the ps04 too as i've got a record coming out next year. that said i think it's proper to keep the forums separate because this one would probably get slammed with posts FAST. personally i will take part in both forums. it might be hard to review other people's music as i'm in grad school right now but i will do my best :)

by the way, trace's point above is RIGHT ON. go go gadget zoom! a recording forum about a magical $200 recording device from japan is something special, indeed. elliot smith would have been proud!

-radio free srini
ps: i saw GANG OF FOUR yesterday! heroic!!!
0 x
--------------------------
the neurons
"the universe is a computer simulation"
http://www.myspace.com/neurons