Should I merge the 2 New Songs forums (zoom and non-zoom)???

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should I merge the 2 New Songs forums (zoom and non-zoom)

Yes, please put it all in one big happy forum
67%
No, leave it the way it is, don't mess with a good thing
33%

Total votes: 15

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:08 am

..........sorry, that was the Tequila talking :nuts: .....still, it only makes sense to have the other forum separate. At least to this newbie..
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 am

Your tequila is rather talkative this time. Times 3. :lol:
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

MatBio
Yoda
Yoda

Post by MatBio » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:51 pm

I voted yes. Why?

-This forum has evolved towards good music and recording techniques, not gear. It has never been to show what can be done with Zoom, but more to showcase our original music and the new iMusic (collaborations)

-technology is changing, most of us are thinking about getting some other gear (maybe not zoom), I think some of our recording has evolved from our first zoom unit, if we merge we keep the old folks that have moved to other gear.

-One of my greatest fears, I have to admit, is that if I get rid of my PS04 in the recording process my postings here would have to stop.

The only problem I can think of, is that we would have way more postings, making it hard to review everything, loosing some of the nice camaraderie that we have here, but I'm not entirely sure that would happen.

Tomas
0 x
Tomas/Blues Tom/Matbio
MySpace

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:57 pm

tomas

1.) why would we have way more posts/songs to review???? the only change would be that all posts would be in the same section

2.) why do we have to merge to keep people that dont record on zoom? thats what the otehr section is for :?

3.) my point was that its not about the direction the forum is moving in or anything... its a far more fundamental issue... its just organising the vast posts of new material that this site gets... and its easier for people to browse e.t.c with the two sections..

4.) why would your posts have to stop if you got rid of your ps-04? again, this is what the other section is for and merging the sections wouldnt change this at all

:?
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Sambo, the Other section just gets ignored pretty much. I, for one, have resorted to posting non zoom tunes in the zoom area just to get them heard. Say chf uses a Gizmotron 5000 to record with. OK he gets tired of being in the bargain basement so he starts hanging out at The Gizmotron forum instead of here. We'd be losing out on his music and his input.

I think that makes the tradeoff worth it. And then some. You see what we did to Lee for voting to keep the status quo. :twisted:

I make my best effort to review every song, yet some still get by me. It should be noted that I listen to the songs completely, not just snippets. If I still had dial-up, that would be too much to ask of me. That's why I humbly ask for as many as would to post at soundclick. The process is much faster, and that affords me more listening time.

I've never given anyone a negative vote. Once or twice I didn't vote for a song because I felt what I heard didn't fully represent the individual's talents. But that's extremely rare. Just because one has the guts to put his/her song out for all to hear, that's reason enough for me to never cast a negative ballot.

We have real good ears here that know the tech side of it all, I'm not one of them. So my reviews are more based on effort. I seem to be overly generous in my postings, when in reality most everything here has plenty of merit. The generosity is earned.

Ramble-a-thon ended for now.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Sambo are you being paid by the Zoom Lobby - you seem to respond to everyone's post here :D I think it's clear that the longer term people generally are here more the people while the newer people are here because it's Zoom. We all started here because of Zoom (except Omegaman and I have no idea what brought him here) but we all became "internet friends" and we don't want to lose touch if we stop using Zoom gear.

So net result you are 100% entitled to your view and vote but so are the rest of us - I believe and I think others do that despite our best intentions the Other Music area gets ignored so that's what causes the request for a merge. I'm not completely clear why you feel so strongly that the forums should be kept separate, I understand your points in response to other people but not the root of why you want things kept separate :D
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:07 pm

tonyoci wrote: We all started here because of Zoom (except Omegaman and I have no idea what brought him here) ...
Tony I tried to find the post, but it dates back to April 2004. I was looking for a recording solution and a bandmate had a PS-02, I found this forum, investigated and in the process realized Ihad a brand new PC sitting in a box that I had won from a video forum and decided to buy a monitor and set that up to record. so the PS-0x wasn't needed, but I liked the "vibe" here and decided to hang around.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it, Jeffster will testify, he helped me out in the early days. ;-)
0 x

kp4un
dues paid
dues paid

How do other forums do it?

Post by kp4un » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:27 pm

Hello, everyone!

I have not ventured outside the Zoom forum, but I was curious about how other forums (Boss, Tascam, Yamaha, etc.) deal with this situation. It might validate either of the two positions.

Maybe all users should be required to enter brand and model information of their current multitrack recorders and this would be displayed under their username. That should be enough when posting songs under a common section.

Hasta luego!

Orlando (KP4UN)
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm

O. wrote:Jeffster will testify, he helped me out in the early days.
Testify??? <gulp> Your honor, he's innocent, I swear it, on a stack of records... :lol:
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:00 pm

KP;
Hola, amigo! Que tal?
I can't see how the way other forums operate would validate what we do. This Zoom bunch is a motley crew of trailblazers. Others should be coming here to validate themselves. We want to be the cutting edge of recording forums, not the followers.
Your post is very well worded and thought out, so don't think for a moment I'm slamming you. This is just my input.
Now back to my huevos and papas.

Remember the Alamo car rental company,
Rick
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:23 am

lol i feel so strongly about keeping them separate because i dont see the logic in merging them... and my brain is very logical- i kind of have to think mathematically....

but think about this right....

risk of keeping the two sections (apparently) = maybe losing some good members to other forums and therefore losing their contributions as well

reason for this risk = people not frequenting the more songs forum

solution to this risk = people frequenting the more songs forum

its the people thats turned the more songs section into a dungeon NOT the system..... see?

basically, all this merger is gonna solver... is peoples laziness (couldnt think of a nicer way to say that).... its gonna make it slightly easier (one less click of a mouse in fact) to browse peoples songs. and for that SLIGHT gain.... you lose the fact that having two sections makes it clear for everyone what they're gonna find when they enter a particuular part. however, this system cannot work with people posting in the wrong section to get noticed.... - comes back to the PEOPLE again...

and also, the rules that were apparently being broken by people not posting the gear clearly e.t.c e.t.c.... will still be around in the merged forums... merging isnt going to make people be any clearer in their post titles e.t.c......

what im trying to say is.... the system is of VERY little relevance either way.... its the forum members which could make either way work.... but you can tell that this two-section way will not work because everyone here has a negative attitude towards it and are basically not trying to make it work...

now i know what you'll all be saying....

"we've tried it like this and it doesnt work- no one goes in the more songs section"

WELL BLOODY GO IN THE MORE SONGS SECTION THEN!!!!!!!!!

the only loss with moving to a merged system is that it will be SLIGHTLY less clear.... only gain is that it will be SLIGHTLY easier for people to look through songs.... do you see what i mean by the system not being important? its really not that big a deal.... i dunno why im getting so involved.... i guess its because like i said before.... i have a very logical brain and anything that i see to defy logic agitates me...

i just dont see the point in merging.... and now ill get a flurry of answers saying why, without anyone replying to what the main message of this post was.... so please.... everyone try and take in the main message of this not just throwing reasons for this inevitable change back at me....
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:32 am

Rick Jones wrote:Sambo, the Other section just gets ignored pretty much.
this is just to add to my last post... try not to ignore that one if you can...

rick- the question is... why does it get ignored? because people dont visit it enough.... AND because people dont have a need to visit it if they're mates (like you) are breaking the rules and posting in the zoom section....

see? by posting in the wrong section your encouraging everyone to get lazy and visit the dungeon less and less....so therefore the dungeon will never recover with that continuing. the problems with the system can be solved by you guys...

yet AGAIN its down to the people who use thew forum not the system....

see??!??!????!

oh and last thing... something thats really annoying me- the point that keeps cropping up about 'saving' people..... about how people are worried that valuable members will stop posting and go to other forums...

WHAT THE HELL?!?!???!??!?!?!?!

as long as individuals that are saying this... keep reviewing their mates' songs then this willl never happen... PLUS if you've got such a nice community and close friendship here that you all say you do.... then i doubt someones gonna bugger off for ever just because they dont have a million people commenting on their songs.... merging wont affect this AT ALL!!!!!!!!!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Merged

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 am

The people have spoken. Sorry Sam. :wink:
Consider this board MERGED!
0 x

BlueInGreen
dues paid
dues paid

Great to see this

Post by BlueInGreen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 am

It seems to make a lot of sense to merge these lists. Thanks!
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:25 am

by the way, since I don't have the patience to manually move every post from the old More Music forum to this one, I'll move a few recent ones and the rest will stay down in the dungeon. Going forward, everything will be posted here in New Songs.
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 am

A stay of execution it is then, notwithstanding a late, but eloquent, appeal by Mr Sambo of Counsel.

I presume you are functus and that is the end of the matter :wink:

Cheers Zoe
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:56 am

chf wrote:I presume you are functus and that is the end of the matter :wink:

Cheers Zoe
Hopefully a little cream will take care of this functus. :lol:
0 x