To Rap or Not To Rap????

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should I spend some recording time on a highly offensive "rap" song?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Go for it Lee. We love you and know you're kidding man.
85%
Don't bother. We either don't want to hear offensive lyrics or think it's a waste of time.
15%

Total votes: 13

Lee
The Force
The Force

To Rap or Not To Rap????

Post by Lee » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:01 pm

Okay guys, I’ve been mulling over this tune… this “rap” song in my head now and it’s beginning to distract me from my real music. It’s the “response” to all the fun spirited teasing that’s been going on (a VERY tongue in cheek response you should know).

I don’t want to waste a second of recording time on anything but what I consider real music, but the entertainment value of doing a “rap” song using “loops” is just becoming too tempting to me. The thing is… the lyrics I have for it are VERY R rated. I’m totally serious. They’re in the spirit of Eminem. I'm not a cursing man by any means, but this thing has many a cuss in it! :lol:

If I’m going to do this thing it won’t be half way so I’m putting it up to a vote. Help me decide if I should “waste” my time on an offensive but fun rap song or concentrate on my next real song that is finished (in my head) and just needs to be recorded (it should be cool man...). Heck, I’m hoping I’ll be able to do both but real life will likely dictate otherwise.

Also, will you guys understand that it’s just a joke and shouldn’t be taken personal in any way, shape or form?
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:15 pm

Well I voted yes - but maybe that was obvious
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:16 pm

Trying different things really helps me to expand my horizons musically. And it's a good way to get things out of your system.

I will tell you one thing. Your damn cussing better stop or I'll kick your ass.

What is cussing?

Ass? Hardly.

Damn? Nope?

F***. Originally was the name for a one-tongued plow. Later adapted to describe a sexual act, ie, 'ploughig the short rows'. Now used as a term for messing up or being disgruntled.

Fart? Wrong again, White Castle boy. That's the sound of a trombone.

Of course, these, and many other words are now considered unsavory language. Rappers think they're shocking. Why do I disdain rap so much? Walking around flapping their gums about how bad them and their homies have it. Give me a few million. Won't hear me bitching about da ghetto.

I remember seeing Bob Seger open up for Kiss in the 70's. Never heard of him. Then he sings this song, 'Turn The Page'. I was livid! How can he stand there, living his dream (one that any of us guys would have loved to have done) and complain about the downside? All the complaints he catalogued were easily fixable. What a whiner.

Anyhoot, rap away.....we're big enough to take it. And don't forget the hoes and the bling bling....don't make me bus' a cap.
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:18 am

I'm with ya, Lee... this forum is about expanding your talents, abilities, songwriting, engineering and musical horizons by holding yourself up for criticism from your fellow Zoomers. By any measure, whatever you are working on would be a valid post.

As long as the post comes with appropriate warning labels, I'm sure that us children who play in the playground of the Zoom forum will be mature enough to handle it.

Mike
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:46 am

yer ill let you do it...

as long as you let me make a death metal song about how your being so UN-ROCK-'N-ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you shoulda just done it without asking dude... rebelled against the system....
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Hey Lee, I voted yes, which must be obvious as well, but want to give one word of caution. Zoetrope has said in the past that we should be mindful that we do have younger folks come on the forum, so we should try to keep the lyrics to a more family friendly format. I think Rick has wisely shown that some of the "curse" words are not as offensive as others.

I'm a big fan of melody, so by contrast, am not a big fan of rap, but I do like some of it, especially where the speaker varies the vocal pitch in a pseudo melodic way, and the lyrics themselves are powerful poetry. And then sometimes they slip in an actual melodic passage as a bridge or chorus, which I find very effective. I think someone else pointed out in another thread here that rap is not entirely new, anyway. There are songs and recordings from earlier periods where the main voice is speaking rather than singing. I could be wrong, but I believe there was a sub genre called "Talking Blues" as well.

Anyway, all that to say I encourage you to spread your musical creation wings a little further and try the rap thing. One thing to be said for it is that it is the hottest genre selling right now. I have a theory that the bulk of the young of any generation are essentially tone deaf (as one observation point for my theory, ever hear the random group of people singing "Happy Birthday" in a packed restaurant? How many of them ever find the right key to sing in?). So, I attribute this to rap's success, that the bulk of people go with the strong rhythm of the drums or beat of the song, and the strong verbal message, which best have some good hooks in it, and don't miss the melody as much as I do.

OT: Want to add a counter-point to Rick's point on Bob Seger's "Turn The Page" being whining. Perhaps it is, but it is one of the finest examples of the whining concept song that I know. I turned down a chance to tour in the late 70's as a solo troubadour act, and this song was in my repertoire, along with Jackson Brown's "The Road," which always got me with the line, "A good song takes you far..." I just knew that life as a musician on the road would likely kill me. Sorry to be so blatent, but that's how I felt then. And I'm less sure today that I could hold up under touring, except that I might have the chance today, maybe, to work out a less demanding schedule if most of my "fame" is being generated through the Internet (although, IMHO, the Internet hasn't come close enough yet to replacing actually live performance tours to generate music sales, it's just become more of a way to distribute the music of bands that stir up the hype through live performances). Another song, that for me at least, tells the story of how all that "fame" and "success" of the touring musician may be more hype than real is "Behind Blue Eyes," by Pete Townshend. So, I don't really disagree with you, Rick, that lots of folks would give their eye teeth for the performance success that many groups have, so maybe the songs about the rigors of life on the road may seem like sour grapes to you, but the bottom line is that there is fairly strong historical evidence of the gifted souls who have been taken from us in part due to the emotional price of that lifestyle.
Last edited by Jeffster on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:44 pm

No melody, no music. Anther rapper was killed today living out his facade. Ya don't see Clint Eastwood toting a Winchester and bus' in' caps. There's a distinct line between fantasy and reality.
0 x

shaft
dues paid
dues paid

Post by shaft » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:06 pm

yes!
you could be the next dee dee ramone

http://www.kauhajoki.fi/~jplaitio/deedee.html :D
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:47 pm

More likely that my corn will fail again this year. Then I'll hafta bus a cap.
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm

I vote no...just to check the equipment...and because I f*cking hate (c)rap. Simple as that. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like, mind!

Chas
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:37 pm

Wow! The overwhelming ‘yes’ vote is likely just as much of a vote to see/hear me make an arse of myself! :lol: Jeff’s vote was a ‘yes’ with conditions and Chas’ vote is almost as ambiguous. I have to underscore that this would be done as almost a joke and with the same amount of minimal effort as the “Love Hurts” massacre.

Part of my motivation is to attract real rappers so I’m sure Chas will really not want that! :lol: I’ll consider what everyone said.

The part about the lyrics is complex for me because I don’t like the idea of really offending anyone. I also believe that atrocious lyrics could possibly have a negative effect on young and impressionable listeners when the stars behind them are looked up to. I, on the other hand, am not really qualified to have that much of a negative effect in this manner and would only like to have the positive effect of humor for adult listeners. Again, I don’t so much as even use profanity in real life (anyone who knows me in person NEVER has heard me curse outside of a song)… but I’ll think it over. Without the cussin’ it just won’t work.

Maybe some real rappers can post their profanity-free songs and prove me wrong? ;)
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:39 pm

My earlier post was to prove basically that cussing is pointless. All it really shows is a lack of language and communication skills on behalf of the cusser. This must mean there are cussees too. :lol:
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Lee, I'm conflicted about the swearing. I swear in my head all the time (the bad stuff) but almost never out loud. I am not against swearing in songs but it often just doesn't fit.

Why not do what I did with Big Butts and bleep the swearing, adding to the comedy value
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:57 pm

I would be happy if no one ever rapped again..just not a fan gangsta rap, rap metal,country rap. I just don't get it..but by all means rap away Lee.
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:11 pm

I slip alot. Wish I didn't. Cussing is the language of the lazy. Same as losing one's temper. Very unwise.
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:56 pm

Riffmaster: I would be happy if no one ever rapped again..just not a fan gangsta rap, rap metal,country rap. I just don't get it..but by all means rap away Lee.
Riff so I take it you like Jewish Rap then :D
Last edited by tonyoci on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

manzana
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by manzana » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:57 pm

in the words of some famous shoes: "Just do it!"
0 x