To Rap or Not To Rap????

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should I spend some recording time on a highly offensive "rap" song?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Go for it Lee. We love you and know you're kidding man.
85%
Don't bother. We either don't want to hear offensive lyrics or think it's a waste of time.
15%

Total votes: 13

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:06 pm

I like the 'bleep' idea that Tony mentioned... it could be funny...
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Oy
0 x

StingerT125
Jedi
Jedi

Post by StingerT125 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:03 pm

Lee,

Go for it.

I don't care about the words. I don't get the idea of dirty or bad words. If 2 words can describe the same thing how can one be dirty?
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:33 am

^ wow thats such a simple way of looking at its amazing!!!!

i never thought of it like that stinger... wow you have enlightened me...

anyway, what about Rage Against The Machine? i love the rapping/rock/funk mix of them.... its really different.... i definately wouldnt say that theyre songs are actually rap....

what are you going with lee? just rap with like a hip/hop beat or something or like rap RATM style?
0 x
Zoetrope wrote: "Sambo sneaks back in, and no one notices"

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:34 pm

StingerT125 wrote:I don't care about the words. I don't get the idea of dirty or bad words. If 2 words can describe the same thing how can one be dirty?
Stinger, I totally agree in theory, but in practice... don't go trying to prove that point at school their Sambo or you'll get kicked out! Yeah, people make things unclean (society/culture), etc... but a general consensus on proper speech (and it differs by context) is a natural part of communities of any and all kinds. I don’t mind tapping emotions if something constructive comes of it, but I never want to offend for the sake of offending. As someone alerady mentioned, I choose not to ever curse when I talk because I use those alternative words that are more acceptable. Like "buttocks" and "intercourse". Okay, so maybe I never use the second one! :lol:

I once made the argument up here that "words have power...." and that basically means that how you say something does make a difference. In this case, I would be purposely saying things in an offending manner for the humor of it. Also, the majority of the intended audience (you guys) know me enough to "get it"... I hope. I'll be hard pressed before I ever post it up on MySpace! :o

Okay, now the 'yes' people will hate me for saying this BUT... I’m going to put this song idea on the back burner and concentrate on my real music. Once I get this next song recorded I’ll see if I can’t put out a “rap” tune. Hopefully someone else will beat me to it though!

Where are all the rappers in the world? Doesn't one own a Zoom or record at home?
<rhetorical question... please don't point me to other sites :lol: >
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:45 pm

Lee wrote:
StingerT125 wrote:I don't care about the words. I don't get the idea of dirty or bad words. If 2 words can describe the same thing how can one be dirty?
Stinger, I totally agree in theory, but in practice... don't go trying to prove that point at school their Sambo or you'll get kicked out!
HAHA! quite funny you should mention that lee as i was actually gonna try n do that!!!!
0 x

chf
Yoda
Yoda

Post by chf » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey hey...and who said democracy sucks!?
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:11 pm

Stalin, I believe.
0 x
Music's never been a hobby to me- it's a pure joy.

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:01 pm

I watched a documentary last night about the current state of the music industry called All We Are Saying

Both Joni Mitchell and Tom Petty (in separate interviews) said rap music is the only mainstream music that's actually saying anything today. the rest of the music is insipid and devoid of purpose :D

Anyone here heard of The Streets (I am sure the UK people have) his stuff is great, I'm not sure if it's rap though, it's spoken story telling over a tune with sung choruses :?:

Eminem is also excellent, I like some JayZ and the odd song by various others. I'd have to put Snoop up their in my all time favs list.

It's not all bad you long haired, stuck in the 70's hippy wannabe's :D
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:10 pm

the streets really are excellent, worth checking out all the US people (and maybe some UK lol) who havent heard any of their stuff.

yer i think thats a great point tony, at least rap has a message instead of being run-of-the-mill love songs about a girl....

like i said before, Rage Against The Machine are another great example of this.... they're message was about the Vietnam War and other political issues... and they were heavily rap influenced
0 x

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:50 pm

tonyoci wrote:I watched a documentary last night about the current state of the music industry called All We Are Saying

Both Joni Mitchell and Tom Petty (in separate interviews) said rap music is the only mainstream music that's actually saying anything today. the rest of the music is insipid and devoid of purpose :D It's not all bad you long haired, stuck in the 70's hippy wannabe's :D
Joni Mitchell and Tom Petty? Ha, that was just the weed talking. I'm subjected to rap on a regular basis. I'm not angry at the system. I don't have homies. I certainly don't think the only part of a woman that matters is her derriere (although it's an added bonus).

I don't listen to music for politics, and I absolutely believe musicians aren't qualified to discuss them. I wouldn't listen to Congress on recording techniques. That's like trusting tv preachers for Biblical truth. Music=entertainment and escape. C'mon, you really have to be whacked out on something to actually give Bob Dylan any consideration.

For instance.....Van Halen. Poundcake and Dance The Night Away made complete sense coming from them. Humans Being, Right Now and How Many Say I rang as false as Hollywood boobs. They went serious and lost their audience. That was always my beef with the Who. Pictures Of Lily, My Wife, etc were alot of fun. Then this Won't Get Fooled Again crap. No thank you, Pete.

Here, someone, take this soapbox for awhile. I'm inspired to set the New York Times to music. Where's that barf bag?
0 x

sambo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by sambo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:56 pm

i kinda agree with you rick but agree with tony as well... im 50/50...

i mean, ive always just thought of music as something i like listening to and nothing emotionally deeper than that... but loads of manufactured love song shit does really piss me off sometimes.... thats why things with a message do appeal to me sometimes... im not saying i like rap cause of this... im just saying that at least not all rap is just pointless, processed rambling...

and of course the key word you kinda missed out from what tony said was 'mainstream'- he said (or the guy he quoted said) that rap was the only MAINTSTREAM stuff with a message... its all well and good you saying "but this so and so random band are so much better than rap because theyre fun and blah blah" but thats not the kinda stuff we're talking about... its rare that you find mainstream/popular music with a message and therefore anything which does have a message in mainstream can only be a good thing to me...

but what it boils down to in the end, is what music means to people individually...

for example, rick, you said music to you, is escape and a means of having fun e.t.c, whereas a lot of other people find music as a means to express themselves and a particular message they want to convey and listen to other peoples expression and messages...

so theres really no point in arguing/debating over this at all because peoples perceptions of music changes everything in this situation
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:30 pm

Looks like I'm always in the minority on these durn poles...err, polls. Many of you said my tune sounded different than what is usually posted on this board so, I guess my opinion will differ from the norm as well.......by the way, how is Norm anways? :shock:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

Rick Jones
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Rick Jones » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:49 pm

Debates are a good thing. It's nothing more than a couple buddies discussing things over a beer. Personally, I never liked walking away from a song feeling like I'd been beaten up and dragged down. Never wanted to 'stick it to the man'. The only people who feel that way are ones who were told to do so.

No musician or politician will ever have all the answers. Neither will your janitor. If I wanna know the most effective way to clean up barf, I'll ask the janitor. If I wanna know how to get a speed bump at the bottom of the hill so kids won't get ran over, I'll talk to the local politicians. If I wanna know the best mic for recording a ukelele, I'll come here.

If Snoop Dogg wants to know how to grow tomatoes, he can ask me. If I want to know how to grow cannabis or the best place to eat in his hometown, I'd just ask him. :lol:

Everyone has a special area they excel in. But to think anyone knows it all is absurd. I'm too busy pulling the log from my eye to help much with anyone's dust. In the end, we are all free to sing, rap, do whatever. I choose not to buy into certain things. I blame Woody Guthrie with the political stuff in music. Too heavy, man. Too heavy.

Making bags of money exploiting people ain't for me. I'd rather be a cat burglar. It's much more intriguing.

Madame chairwoman says my time on the soapbox is up. Rebuttals?

The following is a link to a news item. Five kids, man. Fatherless. Did not this create even worse problems for the community than just deciding to show a bouncer that you can lose control and be the tough guy?

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne ... 22000.html

I know it doesn't speak for all rappers, but it doesn't help that they're dropping like flies due to violence. Several years ago, The Fat Boys were performing at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. After the show, one of them fell from the roof to the ground and was killed. It was sad and very tragic. The young man was just having fun. Can you see the difference?
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:40 pm

tonyoci wrote:...I like some JayZ and the odd song by various others. I'd have to put Snoop up their in my all time favs list...
Tony's is chillin' with the frizle chizle and the dizle or whatever Mr. Dog says.

Funny you mention JayZ. He may actually help me with my song.
;)
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Dragondicer
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Dragondicer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:38 am

I don't like rap! To me rap is crap!

But anyway, if it's a funny approach, why not?
Our friends and fellow posters before me (or is it above me in a forum?? ...or on me?.....errr...............................nevermind) are right. Sometimes you just have to do something different. It'll expand your musical horizon or you can at least get rid of rap-toxic waste in your body which keeps you from making music (I mean: REAL music).

Well, even Aerosmith did it, and I even liked it!!! I liked it a lot!!!
(I'm talking 'bout "Walk This Way", Bro', which they recorded together with Run DMC)

GO FOR IT, LEE!
I will even listen to it! :shock:
And I'll tell you my opinion!! :twisted:

:lol: :lol:
0 x

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Tonyoci wrote:It's not all bad you long haired, stuck in the 70's hippy wannabe's
Hey, I resemble that remark! And I said I liked some of it! :lol:

To my earlier points, if you listen to say Eminem do Lose Yourself, you may hear that he does vary pitch as he's "speaking" the lyrics. It may not be singing, but it is more melodic than regular speaking. In The End by Linkin Park is an example of my point that when they add true melody to chorus or bridge sections, then I usually like the resulting song more.

For the debate aspect of this thread, I'd like to introduce the thought that Rock & Roll music of the 70's and 80's was more infamous for its topics of sex, drugs, and R&R. Well, the drugs took some of hteir lives. So by contrast, yes, the gangster lifestyle is taking them, like the latest death at the club in the 8 Mile area. Although bith cases of death are tragic, and seem like a futile waste of life when music is much more about being an entertainment medium, one can make the point that in both cases the artists validated their messages, which adds a layer of credibility to the art form. And I believe that the audiences for this music get that message, even if only subliminally, which spurs further interest in the music itself. In that way, perhaps in both cases, they become like self-fulfilling prophecies?
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.