Mr. Badmood - Insane; Original; MRS-8

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

To improve:

Mix
83%
Vocal
No votes
Guitar
17%
Bass
No votes
Drums
No votes
Arrangement
No votes

Total votes: 6

Rockovic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Mr. Badmood - Insane; Original; MRS-8

Post by Rockovic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:14 am

Hello ”brothers in arms” =)…

Here is my first song completely made with MRS-8. The lack of musical/recording knowledge and experience is obvious so all comments/suggestions regarding production, arrangement, playing, mixing are greatly appreciated.

Another obvious fact is that English is not my native language and it would be great if someone with enough patience comes up with some constructive critique regarding lyrics too.

Band: Mr. BadMood
Ganre: Rock.
Song: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=527974

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Rockovic on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:50 am

My advice is to post an MP3 somewhere. http://www.soundclick.com for example. No one is likely to go through the hassle of dealing with this Rapidshare thing and then figure out what to do with a RAR file.

:2cents:

And hey, welcome to the board! Be sure to review other people's songs while you're here.
0 x

Rockovic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rockovic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:27 am

Here is the link to the "band's" webpage on the SoundClick

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=527974
0 x

Richie aoa
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Richie aoa » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:53 am

Ok, I'd never claim that this is my favourite style of music, but there's a lot to like here. The guitar is excellently done, and perfct for the style, the programmed drums are solid and the vocals are pretty good - bizarrely your accent abnd phrasing sometimes reminds me of Kings of Leon!

The stereo mixing where you have two guitars playing different parts is also very very good.

All in all, a great first post, well done!
0 x

Rockovic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rockovic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:08 am

Thanks Richie.
Perhaps this was to extreme for someone who use to play ska and now experiment with acoustic guitar =)… I’ll take that with Kings Of Leon as a compliment =)…

Cheers

PS I like Sam Beam too...
0 x

Omegaman
The Force
The Force

Post by Omegaman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:00 am

music sounds fine to me, has that 80's feel.

I think the lead vocal is a bit too out front, would benefit from judicious use of reverb to thicken it up and push it back in the mix a bit. It sounds "too Clean" in comparison to the guitar.

just my buck 380.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:21 am

Sounds pretty good to me. The drums sound like a real player. I wish I could find a machine that played programed guitar licks like the licks you play in your song.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

jimis

sounds good to me....

Post by jimis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:10 am

sounds good to me. Nice clean, uncomplicated style. The drums are spot on, simple and effective. did you program them or are they midi? :drum:

the stereo effect on the guitar is a nice touch. perhaps they could be centre slightly. hard panning makes me dizzy!:rofl:
0 x
It's been a while...

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:16 am

A good solid piece of rock. My only reservation is that the guitar seems a little isolated as if it's sitting on top of the mix rather than it. I have no idea how to correct it I'm afraid :(

I look forward to some more.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Hey Rockovic... welcome to the board...

Typed as I'm listening: :type: Nice overall tone... I like the drums and the guitar playing, while uncomplicated, is very nice and fits the song.

I think the mix is spread a bit too wide... with the guitars seeming to come from all angles except right at me. I think Jmis mentioned it also... you need to bring those guitars a little towards the middle and add a little something (reverb, maybe) to the overall mix so it sounds like everyone is playing in the same room.

Overall a very good effort! :applause: Thanks for posting!
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

Rockovic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rockovic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:11 pm

Thank you all for your comments and I agree with most of them.

Yes, I programmed the drums which I enjoy as much as a non-drummer can =)… The song is still in working phase especially now after all these comments. This forum is great =)…

It is a shame that I can’t so much about recording, MRS-8 so that I can participate more here and help other less capable members like me. I’m getting better though =)

Cheers
0 x

Macca
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Macca » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:49 pm

In my ears

Music - ZZTop & Offspring
Vocals - Kings of Leon (as said above).

I don't know how it works but it does, I really like it a lot.
What I don't like is the guitar tone, it sounds a bit fake... not sure how else to describe it really - BUT, don't get me wrong I really like this song and it would certainly work live.

thanks for posting this
0 x
\m/

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:11 pm

Nice rocker. I agree the vocals need a little reverb or something to help them sit in the mix better. And I agree the guitar tone isn't stellar. Otherwise, a nice one. Keep at it. :!:
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:15 pm

Rockovic,

I found this to be a superb song man. As far a the pole, I went with the “mix”. Not that it’s bad, it’s just that it could effectively enhance all the other parts including the drums. As far as giving specific advice for mixing… hmmm…

Maybe (and it’s all so very subjective) I’d add a touch of reverb to the vox and the drums. Maybe bring the drums up a tad. Bring the guitars in a bit more (towards the center) and rely on some mastering effects to widen it more. Another key thing is using a multi-band compressor to get the volume up a bit more.

More options: It would be nice if the vocal volume was a little more regulated by way of compression or volume knob manipulation (I’ve done/do both).
Consider using a different drum sound like that general kit (whatever it’s called…) and with a little more reverb.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Rockovic
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Rockovic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks guys a lot!

This forum realy rocks =)… I have to admit that this song is not the one of my favourite but it was the only one that I have at the moment. The one thing that I know is that I can count on you guys =)…
Macca, Zoetrope: I agree about the guitar sound but I just can’t get a sound that I want ( (how strange =)…). Personally I like Billy Duffy’s fat rock sound (the Cult’s “Electric” for instance) or Angus Young’s row SG… Do you have any suggestion guys?

Lee, thanks man. To be honest I don’t understand everything you’ve wrote =) but I’ll check in the manual. Great comment! Maybe you have some more concrete tips. It would be appreciated. By the way, you have adequate sound for the music you play. Is there any of your previous posts here in the forum where I can read more about your approach to recording/playing?

There is a lot to learn (and maybe some stuff to buy) and that’s great =)…

Cheers!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Good sounds, I'm a documented hater of the Zoom default drums, try changing the patterns to a different kit they sound so much better.

The guitars are a bit too panned for me. The vocals could perhaps do with some processing, reverb, compression or something.

The song is pretty good though, very cool melody and lyrics.

Tony
0 x

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Theres a fantastic song in there. A little tweak to yhe mix and this would be golden. The song flat out rocks. Great breakdown after the guitar solo. The guitar i think would've really crunched without the chorus? is that chorus? Yep..i'm looking forward to the next one. Good song.
0 x