Ever Gonna Know - Remixed - Original - PC/TonePort/Acid Pro

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Keep the drum fill at the end....?

Yeah, sounds like Ringo...
40%
Nah, sounds pretty lame.....
60%

Total votes: 5

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Ever Gonna Know - Remixed - Original - PC/TonePort/Acid Pro

Post by Sungodv » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:04 pm

It's been a while, huh?
...So am I "Ever Gonna Know :?: ".... who knows.... :P
Flame away.....as they say.... 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5181379

[4/16/2007 EDIT] New updated Mix is here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5243514

[EDIT]

Taken from Lee's thread "What are YOU working on?"

--------------------------------------------------------
6. "Ever Gonna Know." Another top down song that came to me whilst gazing out my studio window waiting for Margaret to come over. Recorded hastily via Windows Sound Recorder. I kept hitting the echo button ( :shock: ) so, this one will have a John Lennon type echo on it. Words and melody have been written. TonePort vocal patch has been made to emulate the weird echo I got with Sound Recorder. It's close but, not exact. Just tryin' to figure out whether to make it guitar or Keyboard based. Sounds kinda Country with guitar. More Pop with the Piano. I may record this before #9 below...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the scratch tracks from my test bed SC page....Added a few little embelishemnts.....pretty much first takes all the way around....
This was originally recorded with fairly low levels....so.....
I reset the faders in Acid to 6 and subtracted from there so this is a bit hotter than my previous tunes....Mastered with Ozone

Gear:
Drive X2 Guitar, Ovation AE128 via the Peizo, Yamaha PSR-540 for piano and Hawiian guitar, Bronco bass, EZ Drummer MIDI drums.
Last edited by Sungodv on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

ron-e-g
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ron-e-g » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:04 am

Sungod ,very Lennon-ish Great song. your vocals sound very good a little lost in the mix at times, but this might be the effect you were going for. The only thing I didn't like was the late drum beats at the end. You have done a good job mixing sounds in and out. Not an easy task! The tune moves smoothly :^:

Ron
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:39 am

I was a little worried you fell asleep there for awhile!! It's been a real long time since we heard anything new from the SungodV.

I think if there was going to be a "King Of Indie Pop" designation, it would be a toss up between the SungodV and Tonyoci.

I like the song in general. I'm sorry I can't comment too much on the recording/mix as I am still dial up and can only hear the lofi at this time, so I cannot fairly judge this aspect. I DO like the vocal effect. It is applied correctly as your words can still be understood quite clearly through the effect.

I wish I could hear it in stereo. :cry: Oh well!

I DO like the song very much!

:D JB.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Riffmaster
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Riffmaster » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:59 am

Steve,this makes me wish we could hear more out of you musically. There are just some pure genious parts in this(the killer guitar fills,clever words,slide guitar moment). I'm giving it about 4 thumbs up although i can't listen on real good speakers now, so the mix is unknown somewhat although i can hear everything well. Please do us all a favor and kick a few more of these out soon. You're insane AND talented....creepy man.
0 x

Thommo
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Thommo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:40 am

Steve

Great mix, good vocals. I get the Lennon feel as well. I don't know how you guys do it on the PC. I just can't bring myself to record and mix a song on Windoze. I takes me hat off to you. This is a good composition and you've done a nice job with the overall sound and production. Well done.
0 x
cheers,
Thommo
:metal: ThommoHawk.net :metal:

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks for the listens, guys.....
Yes, I went for a Lennon type vocal effect in this....guess that was obvious.... :P
I think your the only person who would crown me King but, thanks nonetheless, John.....hope you can hear it in stereo.......o....o....soon...... :wink:
Thanks, Rob....your last sentence almost had me on the floor LMAO!....You are way too kind...but, I'll take it... :D
Thommo, it ain't that hard but, you get some great sounds out of that MRS-8......better'n I could ever get!.....keep it up!
This had a few cheats in it....a first for me. I copied and pasted the guitar riff and piano gliss thing....is that cheating?..... :shock: Nah!.... 8)
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:19 pm

:type:

Very cool Lennonish song. Man, I love that Lennon-ish guitar slipping in. Piano is cool too. This is great. Nice harmonies of voices at the end of the bridge. Nice lyrics. That guitar is such a nice touch. Great Lennon-ish vocals throughout. I'd cut that last little drum roll off. This is an excellent, A+ recording. Congrats!. :clap:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:03 am

Now the poll wasn't up when I listened last time. (What's next, removing the track - :oops: - whoops, that's me, not you.)

I think you should have a third choice - "Sungodv should decide what he likes, it's his song." That's the one I'd vote for. :wink:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:00 pm

You tell me you're recording levels are better so now I have to wonder why the songs always have a "distant" feel ?

Great start, very interesting sounds and makes you want to listen more. Don't like the sound on the piano/keys, gotta get into that MIDI stuff :D

I like your style of singing and while I can see the Lennon comparison I really don't think you sound like him. You have an appealing voice all of your own.

I like the little guitar bits that pop in every now and then.

I found this an odd combination. I tend to like songs with strong hooks and this didn't really have one, it had no real memorable lines but it made me want to listen again.

Dump the drum thing, it ended great with the vocal line.
0 x

petedeuxwheels
The Force
The Force
Location: Denmark: a Scots turnip living next to a bunch of Swedes

Re: Ever Gonna Know - Original - PC/TonePort/Acid Pro

Post by petedeuxwheels » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 pm

An octive lower and this would be straight off the Imagine album but with George Harrison's little bit of Abbey Road guitar thrown in ...

Steve I listened last night and was too shagged out to comment but I still feel the vocal is maybe a little too high and sounds a bit 'unnatural' in the sense that your straining a bit. Are you really a second tenor?

Verdict is, I would have enjoyed this fine song more in a lower key :wink:

Cheers

Pete
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Good song, but the bridge is what really sold it. Nice job.
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:59 pm

An interesting listen, I like the vocals (except when they go really high) the slide guitar is just yummy. I'd like to hear this with more rhythm and drums in there. Good tune sir :D
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:19 pm

At last, a new song from the solar deity that is SGV :D

First off, the vocal is good on this, the echo is cool but when you can hear it in isolation, it seems to resonate just a little too quickly. A minor point though, overall it works well :^:

Nice relaxed feel here, and I like all the different instrumentation, especially the slide guitar. 8)

Don't leave it so long next time :cry: (whats that? something about a pot and a kettle :? )

Oh and that MIDI is a minefield, but I have had some "success" with it in Reaper, if you need any "MIDI for idiots" basic type advice :wink: (though there are far better qualified people to ask here, obviously)

Gary
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Always good to hear a new one from you.
Obvious Lennon vibe,real catchy.I thought the lyrics were very clever.
The piano at :40 sounded a bit off.The guitar was pure class.
After 2 listens I still forgot to listen for the drum fill :oops:
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey, thanks for taking the time everybody....
I am getting the impression to scrap the end drum thing......
I was gonna put a third poll question like "Who cares?" but, I thought that might skew the results.... :wink:
There is no slide guitar though it does sound like one...It is a Hawaiian Guitar patch on the keyboard with a little pitch bend.... :P
Thanks, John...It took quite a while to come up with the guitar part.....I felt it needed something but, the part itself was slow in coming. Thanks for your thoughts on your second post....
Tony, your opinion means a lot. Thanks for your positive comments on my singing....you know it is my Achilles heel....I think Criddle decided to keep his MidiSport so, MIDI may a bit off in the distance...I will probably need your help with it.
Pete, high yes.....no real strain though....I came pretty close to redoing everything but, decided to just leave it first takes....Could use an auto tune on it probably. Thanks for the Harrison comparison once again... :D
Thanks, Zo. No bridge so you must mean the chorus...either way, I'll take a positive whenever it's available.... :wink:
Polly & Gary, thanks for listening...:^:
Monty, thanks for the nod overall on the tune and the guitar comment, coming from you, was especially meaningful....
Thanks, folk... :heart:
0 x
My Songs

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 pm

I think you've added some new dimensions with this one. The drums are good. Voice with echo, well done. I don't see some of the problems others do.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm listening again (using your "listen more than once before posting" theory, sort of...)...

Well done song. Great job. Nice Fx on these vocals.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website