Off in the Distance (2 Versions)

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Which Version of Off in the Distance is the keeper?

Poll ended at Sat May 19, 2007 10:29 am

Old Version
22%
New Version
78%

Total votes: 9

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Off in the Distance (2 Versions)

Post by Unstablxxx » Sat May 12, 2007 10:29 am

Okay, fellow Zoomers.... it's time to earn your keep! :lol:

Which version of Off in the Distance is the keeper?

Old version here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5298298

New version here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5335360

The changes I made based on comments in my previous post (thanks to all who contributed)

1) Removed the chorused guitars and brought the acoustic forward.
2) Re-sang the vocal line, trying not to 'hiss' so much. (I also tried a de-esser, which took ALL the treble out of the track, so I canned it)
3) Added a guitar solo in the style of Mr. Gilmour. Tough chords to solo over as they don't really go anywhere and there are no changes in the structure to give me a handle to grab onto.
4) Tried to add female back-up singers to the 3rd and 5th chorus. No females available. Had to use my keybord. (It's not soft and pleasantly curved like a real female. :lol:)
5) Brought the keyboard parts forward a little.
0 x
Mike
-
-
Rocketing towards 5000 posts without a care in the world!
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat May 12, 2007 10:53 am

Mike,

I haven't voted yet as I'm still comparing the two versions. But, I am going to say that this is one hell of a song. After listening again today, and really listening (for over ten minutes now), I think the lyrics are very powerful and deep. This could be construed as a very political song (I completely missed this on the first go 'round with this song).

Oh...wait...those strings rising reallly took my breath away...okay, I'm back...the instrumentation is fantastic. This is an Internet homemade hit classic, in my book. I really love this. The vocals are powerful. Outstanding.

I've got to admit that I was waiting with great anticipation for the female voices and I'm afraid I can't pick them out on two listens...let me try one more time. I can't seem to pick them out, but I'm tone deaf, so don't listen to me.

I'm voting for the New version (the one you have labled "Off In The distance 1").

This gutiar wailing is so outstanding and very Pink Floydish. Also, I love those keys after the big guitar solo. Great song. Great work.

:applause:

p.s. That one just went directly to my PC.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Sat May 12, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks, John. I appreciate that you spent the time listening to both versions. As far as the females go, I really didn't like what my keyboard was able to produce, so it's buried. I can hear it because I know it's there, but I'm sure it's be difficult to pick out if you're not sure what you're listening for.

Thanks again.

Mike
0 x
Mike
-
-
-
-
My solo music | My Eljam music | My Studio Tour | Vocal Effect Demo | Kristal Tutorial

ron-e-g
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ron-e-g » Sat May 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Mike, so many things here. Seems the drums and vocal switched places with the effects. What I mean is the first version has more re verb on the vocal and less compressor maybe, and the second version has that setting or something close applied to the drums. I prefer the vocals out there on the edge as in the first version. and the guitar solo is outstanding! only, seems like some sort of battle going on with the drums at that point. What a song tho. You have a winner here for sure. :D
BTW I went back to listen again and I'm thinking drop the whole drum kit at the guitar solo maybe only keep the high hat as in the beginning.
Ron
0 x

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat May 12, 2007 2:28 pm

You and your "versions"...... :lol: I guess that what endears you.....to us.
OK, this is toughie.....
I like the new version as it brings out a few things that are buried in the other version (:hilarious:)...you would have to automate the faders to bring stuff up on the other version.....I should put version in the clipboard so I don't have to keep typing version.... :P version version version ....there, I did it.
I also liked the lead break...good playing. I liked the vocal effect you put on or that is now noticable....
BUT, if I have to vote, I am going for the original....for all the reasons I stated in your original thread.
If I had to nit the original, I would only bring up the faders on / EQ certain parts that get buried a bit.....those that I now hear on the newer version.........version versionversionversionversionversionversionversion
versionversionversionversionversionversionversion....sorry, couldn't let that clipboard go to waste................ :roll:
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

dengen
Jedi
Jedi

Post by dengen » Sat May 12, 2007 4:13 pm

I listened to the both, and its hard to vote because there are some parts I like about both of them. Certainly the solo in the second version is cool, but I think I like the vocals a bit better in the first one. The strength of the song comes through in both though, and thats what counts.
0 x

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Re: Off in the Distance (2 Versions)

Post by voclizr » Sat May 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Unstablxxx wrote: Tried to add female back-up singers to the 3rd and 5th chorus. No females available. Had to use my keybord. (It's not soft and pleasantly curved like a real female. :lol:)
OOOOh, Watch that!! If you ever do manage to get a real female backup singer (other than your wife) you'd better leave those curves alone. That would constitute sexual harrassment!! :P (EmmaR, If you're looking in, this is what I warned you about with these guys. :wink: )

Didn't get to hear the new version yet. Gotta shut down for upcoming thunderstorm in area. When that passes, I'll check it out!

:D John B.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sat May 12, 2007 5:39 pm

This was a hard call Mike. Version two, but only by a hair. Many things to like about each. If you had changed only one thing, it might be easier to describe. Version one sounds a little more professional, whatever that means. Version two sounds better, whatever that means. I'm going to need to download them.
0 x

ianmackay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ianmackay » Sat May 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey Mike,

I've been away for so long I thought I had to start back again by listening to A Mr Wich song... or two in fact

I personally prefer the second version - I think the vocals are a little more solid, and the pace is more sedate, which suits the song I think.. and then there's the epic solo... well you know i'm a sucker for those.

Nice work mate,

Ian
0 x
_____

This space for rent - reasonable rates. Serious callers only. No Iconists. No Child-burning Religious fanatics.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=546108

monty
Yoda
Yoda

Post by monty » Sat May 12, 2007 6:08 pm

Listened to both back to back,going with the new one,only because of the solo.If you cut it and put it on the orig. that would have got my vote.
Both versions are great.
0 x
NEW REVIEWING TERMS-
If you reviewed my last song,I'll review your next one.Sorry,no exceptions.

Cracks wrote-"The thing to remember about this board is that most people here write songs too. We are not a passive listening audience who have bought tickets to be entertained.

Soundclick name:Angel White
http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/03/d ... tent=music

http://www.myspace.com/angelwhitemusic

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sat May 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Mike;
I said earlier that this is my personal favorite of your original tunes (at least the ones you've posted).
You've just made it better! :D

GREAT JOB!

:D John B.
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Vintage Organs & Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, Toontrack EZ Keys & EZ Drummer 2, Trillan Bass Module, Arturia DX7 V FM synthesizer

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

Unstablxxx
The Force
The Force

Post by Unstablxxx » Sat May 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Thanks, for the feedback guys! It's very much appreciated. My gut tells me to go with the one with the solo and, by a wide margin, you guys seem to agree.

On a side note, I was visiting my friend today and he has a kick a$$ Bose stereo and lives in a pretty isolated area. He cranked the song. And when I say cranked, I mean the freakin' house was shaking. Then when the solo came up, he made it even louder. Damn, it sounded good. Scared the crap out of the local fauna, but who cares! LOL

Ian! Great to see you, man! It always brings a smile to my face. Thanks for letting me know you listened.

And to everyone else, my sincere thanks.

I'm going to give it another day (in case anyone else wants to check in, then I'll pull the earlier version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version version :lol: (see Steve's message for explanation)
0 x
Mike
-
-
-
-

Sungodv
The Force
The Force

Post by Sungodv » Sat May 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Unstablxxx wrote:I'm going to give it another day.....then I'll pull the earlier version...
Too bad cause it's the best..... :(
0 x
My Songs

Dell Quad Core Desktop - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - Dual SATA Drives (1TB). Samplitude 11 & Pro X. Line 6 TonePort UX2. A.R.T. Tube MP Studio. Audio-Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Zoom and DigiTech effects. Alesis DM5 Pro E-Drum Kit w/ Alesis Trigger i|o. 1959 Mojo Pick. Loads of Basses, Guitars & Keyboards.

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun May 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Still anawesome piece of work Mike but I prefer the first version. Somehow it just seems more together.

Keyboards as women, do you find it makes the keys sticky? ;)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

petedeuxwheels
The Force
The Force
Location: Denmark: a Scots turnip living next to a bunch of Swedes

Post by petedeuxwheels » Mon May 14, 2007 6:06 am

I prefer the first version of this grand work. Second attempt seems a little out of sync and disconnected (less together :wink: ).

Cheers

Pete
0 x

stevo
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by stevo » Tue May 15, 2007 12:00 pm

Could've sworn I posted on your original of this...? Anyhoo...just friggin epic mate, keep both (though the second version pips it for me). Its a stunning song...great vocal, great guitar, just great! I love that it sounds very Floyd/Gilmour...am now thoroughly ashamed of myself & will lock myself away for the weekend & try harder!!!

Rock & Roll!!! :D
0 x