HMHS 182 - Andrew Brierley (11/27/09)

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 182 - Andrew Brierley (11/27/09)

Post by tonyoci » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:12 pm

http://www.homemadehitshow.com

---------------------------------------
On this show, Dave reunites with his old Home Recording Odyssey co-host Andrew Brierley. We generally catch up, prattle on and occasionally talk about music.

We Discuss:

* HRO Podcast Site going away. Get the files at http://hro.libsyn.com/
* Ronin Chris Murphy's blog http://ronansrecordingshow.com
* Dave does a segment on Multi Tap Delay
* Reaper Effects
* Discussion about Classic Albums and Behind the Music
* Andrew likes Amy Winehouse
* Call us from the link on the webpage or at (408) 782 4021

Songs and music:

* Ron West – We Are Chewy
* Dave's Delay Segment featuring his song Rainy
* Roy Jones – Stoner Joni
* Empty Space by Mike Lyzenga & The Blues Byrds
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMHS 182 - Andrew Brierley (11/27/09)

Post by Zoetrope » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:56 pm

* Ron West – We Are Chewy
Synth-o-licious! There hasn't been a lot of straight electronic/dance on HMHS in the past. Good stuff.

* Dave does a segment on Multi Tap Delay
Yup.

* Roy Jones – Stoner Joni
Cool. More synth. Always a good thing.

* Empty Space by Mike Lyzenga & The Blues Byrds
Nice blues tune. Spirited!

Good job gents. Nice to have the dynamic HRO duo back together again.
0 x

ferret
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by ferret » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 pm

An interesting show. I enjoyed the profanity, but there wasn't nearly enough of it.
Great songs.
We Are Chewy - very pro sound. Nice subversive lyrics.
Rainy by Dave - why not play the whole thing next time?
Roy Jones – stonking. Early/mid Floyd fused with David Bowie. Really good.
The Blues Byrds - great stuff. I'm glad there is still a thriving Blues movement in Italy - I am a fan of Roberto Ciotti.
Also interested in the comments on Melodyne Editor as I was involved in the beta test. More to follow if of interest.
Ferret
0 x
I am not mad. Just differently sane.

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:20 am

We Are Chewy - Liked this a lot though I agree with the point about the repetition at the start. Is it a bit of an 80s thing whereby the introduction is too long? There was 1.30 secs of chewy, chewy chewy here! However I wouldn't offer such bitchy critique if I wasn't going to offer praise. Once it going however this was a cracking tune. One of the best I've come across on the HMHS. I loved the vocoder vocals; they had a really dreamy, poetic and emotional strength. Superb. And, like all the best homerecording stuff, it was inspiring - I was sat in my car thinking how I might be able to use this in my songs. :applause:

Good section on the use of delay to fatten up vocals. I've gone to using delay in preference to reverb. I would try to use a little less delay maybe - but then once you played it in the mix it wasn't as obvious as I though it would be; it was just right! Hmmm I'll be playing around with this. When I get going again I think it will be as a Reaper newbie though I won't abandon Mixcraft. Interesting how quite a few folk seem to be using more than one DAW. :shock:

Roy Jones – Stoner Joni Nice rich textures here, a very psychedelic 60s feel to this. Clever changes of pace.

Documentaries of classic albums. I don't get it. :roll:

The Blues Byrds great collab, great playing and singing. It has everything all good blues has. Again "I don't get it" but I can tell it's good! :yes:

Good show, thankyou.
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Polly, if you really don't get the Classic Albums concept then you need to watch some. They are outstanding. Watch The Who one and it shows how the songs were written and recorded, lot of time spent at a mixing desk raising and lowering tracks for examples. All the shows are like this.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Giving it a listen. I'll try to come back with comments but I'm going to football game later today so I'm not sure I'll be able to do much on this show.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

criddlerus
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by criddlerus » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:05 pm

tonyoci wrote:Polly, if you really don't get the Classic Albums concept then you need to watch some. They are outstanding. Watch The Who one and it shows how the songs were written and recorded, lot of time spent at a mixing desk raising and lowering tracks for examples. All the shows are like this.
Yes... Here here. The Pink Floyd - Classic Albums was quite inspiring as well. Just hearing how they put it to together was amazing. Watching those makes me want to create something really original.

Thanks for all the comments folks. It was fun to chat with Andrew. We hadn't gotten our time zones matched up to chat in months. It will be nice to do a good old HMHS with Tony on Friday though.

I love that Reaper Delay. It lets you set the balance and pan of each tap. Very intuitive and full featured, which can be a hard trick to pull off. Most producers say their go to effect is Delay and I am becoming a convert.

Dave
0 x

chckn8r
dues paid
dues paid

Post by chckn8r » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:18 pm

That was such a cool thing to hear Andrew's voice again. Although I'm still a bit miffed that the new theme song that won the HRO contest only got one play - that tune was fantastic! ;) :oops:

Synth fun all around for the first two songs. I can't help but sound like a broken record, but if it's got synth, I love it... :)

I'm in the middle of proctoring a pop quiz in class, so no time for a lengthy review.

Delay section was cool - yeah, there was a post on the Wombwhere there's a discussion on making "invisible" reverb on vocals (and other stuff) - some of the suggestions are talking about short delays or just using early reflections on reverb sends....

Cheers guys! Dave
0 x
"no, I didn't get any comments about my last name when I was little, why do you ask?"

Composer/Alpha Chicken: Hatched Productions
Co-Host: Inside Home Recording
Songwriting Trainwrecks: SoundClick Page

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Due to the wonders of my droid I was able to listen to this in the car during an unexpected trip.

This was fun, Andrew and Dave slipped naturally back together and even the few awkward pauses were entertaining. Andrew's insights were great.

I'll send this directly to Andrew but I will happily upload all of the HRO shows and link to them.

Behind the Music is still on, they had Pink this last weekend.

Yes those Classic Albums things are classics. I've only seen the TV shows and I heard the DVD's have a lot more content.

Dave's delay segment made me think that, if used correctly, a delay can simulate a backing vocal. I think Reaper's let you change pitch also. I always wanted to try one of those harmonizers.

I liked the show, probably better than when that other guy is on but I don't listen to him.
0 x

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:23 pm

I have gone through almost all of the classic album series - Its funny that Andrew mentions Fleetwood mac as I heard that episode last night on TV - I honestly dont know the band very well, but in terms of home recording, Rumours is an album that would be almost impossible as a one man band - It seems that the songs were very much about the members feeding off each other, all of them being totally screwed up in some way and contributing a different angle - And then the harmonies and blends of the voices (highlighted at the mixing desk at one point of the show) was awesome - and totally out of my reach -

I guess in short I feel very inspired to buy the album and give it some time to soak over me.

Another one I thought was fascinating was the meat loaf one - although it was embarasing as "meat" sings over the tracks repeatedly saying "I still have it" when he so obviously doesnt!!

Enjoyed the rest of the show - I guess the chemistry is a bit different, and perhaps this is why the "genre" of selected songs was similarly different - good show though - will look forward to the technical segments Andrew promised!!
0 x

Tracey Leu
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Tracey Leu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Andrew & Dave,
Cool that “Terry Pratchett” got a mention on the show…Truly a great Author loved by both my Sons & myself. He deserves the name drop again!!!

Ron West…We are Chewy
Although I like electro…there wasn’t enough going on to make it different for me (the standard techno beats & sounds!) …but nice atmospheric mix!

Delays
Hmmmm, interesting!

Roy Jones…Stoner Joni (or is that Stoner Dave pasting the wrong info onto your itinerary! Lol)
Liked this from the opening…yes it was a bit “Floyd-ish”…great tongue in cheek lyrics, good harmonies & nice tone on instruments! Not a bad Mix!

I’ve seen a few documentaries on the Classic Albums & how they were recorded etc…very interesting & every Home Recorder should certainly do the same!

Mike Lyzenga & The Blues Birds…Empty SpaceVery well worth the inter-continental collab!
Love most about this. Great music & the vocals had a really cool “Joe Cocker” style about them which is one hell of a job to do!

Not sure what the Bass player was listening to on the last couple of bars…never mind! Lol

I thought the lead Guitar could have been a bit louder in the break…guess he didn’t want to trample on the Sax’s toes!!! …But the mix was pretty good other than that!

Definitely my fav. of the 3 though!

Thanks…Trace. :D
0 x
Trace.The.Bass