HMHS 205 - Half a Surprise 10/16/2010

Check out the Home Made Hit Show with Tony and Dave at http://homemadehitshow.com
tonyoci
The Force
The Force

HMHS 205 - Half a Surprise 10/16/2010

Post by tonyoci » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Back for an unexpected (even by me) show. Keep sending the songs, one per email, to homemadehitshow@gmail.com. Thanks

http://www.homemadehitshow.com for the show

This week:

A spur of the moment one man home songwriting and recording podcast from your host Captain Tony Butterworth.

This week I briefly touch on

* Why there has been no shows and what the future holds
* Why I'm not doing much recording
* More instruments makes us sound amateurish
* Crap singers using their voices = Mark Knopfler
* Jack White says we need deadlines & limitations to be creative
* Memorable lyrics
* Writing songs with a casio/yamaha keyboard

Remember to post your memorable lyrics at http://www.homemadehitshow.com/forum

This weeks tunes

* Robert Hall - Ghostly Traces
* Robert Weber - Every Day
* The Tones - Clock Strikes 12
* The Tones - The Station
* David McConnell - You Knew It Then
0 x

storpotaten
Yoda
Yoda

Re: HMHS 205 - Half a Surprise 10/16/2010

Post by storpotaten » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Ah, it's back. I was just about to say that you can start the show again now that I have a decent Internet connection; it seems you read my mind.

Robert Hall - Ghostly Traces: Very nice. The vocals and the style bears some resemblance with Niel Young in his best moments.
Robert Weber - Every Day: Is this really one person doing a capella? Impressive! It's a simple song but a hard thing to pull off.
The Tones - Clock Strikes 12: Good idea for lyrics and nice overall sound. A proper lead guitar would have lifted it another level.
The Tones - The Station: Not sure about the rhythm here - it's neither forward- or backbeat. Perhaps that's the idea.
David McConnell - You Knew It Then: Nice tune, she must have been proud.

Memorable quotes: Since you mention Mark Knopfler earlier in the show, I think of a few lines from "Your Latest Trick" (from that classic Brothers in Arms):
You played robbery with insolence
And I played the blues in twelve bars down Lover's Lane
And you never did have the inteligence to use
The twelve keys hanging off my chain
I like how he several times overloads the meaning of the words "bars" and "keys" while making it mean something, keeping the meter and the rhyme.
0 x

Polly
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Polly » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:52 pm

No time to write much as its late on Sunday night and i have work tomorrow. But I enjoyed the show, thanks Tony.

* Why there has been no shows and what the future holds

Go with the flow. :D

* Why I'm not doing much recording

I find it comes and goes. I just got started again this last week or two after a gap of 4 months. Nothing finished yet. Began a backing track for a spoken 'Lancashire Monologue' for Gorpo Snorkland but I lost my voice and I've been ill all week. :(

He may well have a point here, the bigger the canvas the more opportnities to cock it up! :oops:

* Crap singers = Mark Knopfler

The Dire Straits guy.

I tend to do less when I've got loads of time. I mixed half of my last CD on a long train journey, just the basics but it was great fun, kinda 'stolen time'.

* Memorable lyrics

"Time, she flexes like a whore, falls wanking to the floor", had to turn it down in case my dad heard it, ran upstairs, and smashed my Aladdin Sane album. He was a stickler on moral issues, I was 12 or 13.

I ahevn't got one :shock:

Remember to post your memorable lyrics at http://www.homemadehitshow.com/forum

But this was good as you had something to say. It's an hour sice already but I'm remembering that I thought you had a unduly dystopic take on life - we only do things 'cos we'll be punished if we don't behave. Do you really think so? Is this how you see yourself or the rest of us too? See, you got me going on that philosophical point, you had something to write about after all.

Night night.

Pol Pot
0 x
Song writing is its own reward

Grandma Melonhead
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Grandma Melonhead » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey! How come only 2 replies? Tony will never put out another episode if no one is listening. I haven't replied 'cause I've only had a chance to listen to it once, and i dont like to comment on songs until I've listened to them 2 or 3 times. But I will jump in here anyway...

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed listening to the HMHS. It's a real treat for me during my Saturday commute.

Tony, I really liked "Clock strikes 12", especially that somehow strange beginning with the bass and drums. Really nice. It reminded me of Joe Jacksons first (I think) album. That album was mostly just bass, one guitar and drums, and they had a lovely way of playing together.

Deadlines.
Yes!
I crave them.
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Robert Hall - Ghostly Traces - Lovely song. I love that guitar. Jam Studio? It completely went by me and I've used that program.

Robert Weber - Every Day - Very well done street corner Doo-Wop. I like it.

The Tones - Clock Strikes 12 - This is great! Outstanding lyrics. Man, you really nailed that subject. I love your lead guitar playing, as you know. (Since you don't post on the forum, I'll lay down my only nit - I would drop the cymbal tapping during the singing of the verses. I like just the bass and drums, but the cymbal stands out too much, in my opinion.) Great bridge, pause, and then high energy ending. This is a very well written piece of music. That end lead was the icing on the cake.

Tony, I am on the same page except I didn't write and record two new songs. I had a PC meltdown, as you may have read on the forums. I bought a new one and have the Mixcraft 5 up, but I have no interface as of yet. Everything is on hold, but that's cool, as I needed a break from it all anyway.

I am taking the down time to play my keyboard more. I've reached my limit on guitar, I think. It really isn't any fun to me and I don't think I'll be able to write anything new until I break away from it for a while. I have actually learned about four or five covers on the keyboard. I am almost ready to try them out at an open mic. Covers go over much better at open mics. People don't give a darn about originals for the most part. I may go back to writing new songs just for Internet release (and for my songwriting association open mics) but do covers at regular open mics. Also, covers are helping me really see how some great classic songs are structured.

The Tones - The Station - Wow. This is another big change in the direction The Tones are taking. Very dark sound on this. Disconcerted, I believe the word is. That chorus is outstanding. The vocals on it are completely a new style. Wow again! That lead during break is all disturbed. The e-Tiger Beat Headlines: The Tones Dark and Disturbed.

Tony, I've done several songs using the Yamaha styles. I can't vouch for the quality.

I just saw a Sting interview where he said for him the simpler the song is the better.

Tony, I think you and I are in very similar states of mind regarding home recording, etc. It makes me a tad bit sad but it really feels right to me at this point.

Man, I remember a million lyrics from the classics. (I can't always remember my own.)

I love "Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy." (Jagger-Richards)

David McConnell - You Knew It Then - Nice, full guitar. Nice ballad. Good work.

I really wasn't even going to type anything but reviews on the songs, which may be my style on any future HMHS's, but, as usual, the show inspired me. I think I'll go write a song. :noway:
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Enjoyed the first song,

The second one was very unusual - Sort of a 1950s sound, quite hard to pull off, but the vocalist did well

Clock strucks 12 - I have heard this a couple of times through our mails - good song!

Prolific/Unprolific - perhaps an approach is to skip all the instruments that you dont want to play, and see how good a recording you can make with the ones you do like? I hear a lot of people saying that its "all about the spaces" in the music anyway!

The station- Good song - it was kind of confusing at first, but once I got used to the timing I liked it

Hey! I got a mention - My advice somehow sounded more sage coming from you!!

Like the color analogy too.

There is one lyric which sticks with me "AG A DO DO DO" - sorry I couldnt resist it!

The Phil Collins lyric is stolen from Chas N' Dave - "Wish I could write a love song"

Last song - Nice ending- It seemed a good example of doing a lot without too many instruments - nice vibe

Good to see you back - Us bedroom musicians need you!!
0 x

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 am

Grandma Melonhead wrote:Hey! How come only 2 replies? Tony will never put out another episode if no one is listening.
We have a winner :clap:
0 x

GeeJay
Jedi
Jedi

Post by GeeJay » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 am

I heard a rumour that Dave has had his head turned by some of the other home recording podcasts who are offering more money. Tony says Dave hasn’t got time to do a podcast but Dave said he has got time! Its all very strange – anyway it seems Dave might have to sit out until the next home recording transfer window when he can go somewhere else for more money.

(Tony will know what I’m on about…… ;) )

Rob Hall – nice vocals, as always from Rob, especially like the restrained use of harmonies. Not sure how I feel about Jam Studio, except that I had no idea until Tony said.

Robert Weber – sounds a lot like Albert, even the reverb! Good job Rob!

The Tones – Well done for getting the songs finished Tony, especially if motivation was an issue. Unusual rhythm, as someone else pointed out, and I loved the false ending – didn’t see it coming (I guess that’s the point!) Very catchy as it gathers momentum towards the end.

The Tones – Good song, very dynamic. Some of the timing issues were a little distracting at the start. Nice rough and rocky feel though.

“Too much time……” :shock:

Favourite lyrics – I always like Depeche Mode’s lyrics – “All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here, in my arms, words are very, unnecessary, they can only do harm”

David McConnell – Wow, a song for your daughters wedding – no pressure then?!!! Very nice song – she must have absolutely loved it.

Welcome back HMHS!
0 x
My Soundclick Page

GeeJay said "I need to change my avatar!"

fabkebab

Post by fabkebab » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:43 am

tonyoci wrote:
Grandma Melonhead wrote:Hey! How come only 2 replies? Tony will never put out another episode if no one is listening.
We have a winner :clap:
Well it takes us a while to brush off the cobwebs after the summer!
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:26 am

just saw this was up.
downloading it now.
looking forward to the new Tones tunes. :)
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:17 am

I took the PSRE-403 out for a test run at an open mic last night and the results were good. I played five songs, including two originals. I played "Learning the Game" by Buddy Holly, "When the Deal Goes Down" by Bob Dylan, and "Dead Flowers" by the Rolling Stones. The crowd was interested in the keyboard, so much so, that I did two more of my own. I did "I Knew You When" using the strings voice and I actually played the cheesy styles (Rock and Roll style) with one finger chords for "Closing Down the Night". I wanted to see if they were too hokey. I think people liked them. I asked point blank and people said no, it sounded pretty neat. So I now have a new enthusiasm for playing. Who knows, I might even write some new stuff. :clap:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

toddpop1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by toddpop1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for the new show! It was a pleasant surprise in my iPod. And I liked the flow of the show- not too much time on one section.

Good mix of songs as well.

Todd
0 x

lucas
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by lucas » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:17 am

if I could just record what it sounds like in my head.. does anyone make a product like that?

songs are a bit like a haiku for me.
once inspiration strikes, I need to set a framework or structure and pour the inspiration into it.

"whatever gets you through the night, it's alright, it's alright" - John Lennon

This weeks tunes

* Robert Hall - Ghostly Traces
very cool & mellow, nicely done.

* Robert Weber - Every Day
retro corner doo-wop. nice job on the harmonies
strikes me as a number in a musical

good to hear the Tones again
would like to hear the Buzzcocks or Squeeze do this one

* The Tones - The Station
little disjointed in spots, but good raw feel, good power in the chorus

Thanks for the show! :D
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:10 pm

I got a review on my open mic performance:

"Piratemon Wayne posted a greeting

"I enjoyed the piano (keyboard last night), hope to see it out again."

This is from the guitar group web site. :^:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Ran
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Ran » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Home arranger keyboards are an excellent way to get new ideas. My writing partner is always buying old Casios and Yamahas and bringing them over. Something different and unexpected almost always happens. Roland Pro-Es are fun and cheap. Wonderfully cheesy MT-32 sounds. Plus it has midi. The main drawback to recording this old beasts is that they don't have midi and thus, will not sync to anything. I have recorded patterns in Cubase and later made loops out of them but that takes all the fun out of just pressing a few buttons and jamming out. Ran
0 x
Ran
Louisville, Ky
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-than-fiction
http://www.myspace.com/ismistband

davecooper
been here a while
been here a while

Post by davecooper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Nice to hear you back again.

Good show with some excellent songs - like the Tones something special.
0 x

Chris C
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Chris C » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Good to have the podcast back!
0 x