Crackling sound in recording

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
rkayd888
new to this board
new to this board

Crackling sound in recording

Post by rkayd888 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:26 pm

I have a Zoom R16 connected to a brand new Mac Mini and whenever I record using the audio interface I get a crackling sound. The sound intensifies as the noise intensifies and there is no or little crackling when there is no noise. Somebody told me it must be an interference problem - because of the varying intensities. Here is a link you can listen to to get an idea of what I mean: http://www.fbclloyd.org/sites/default/f ... ocused.mp3.

This doesn't happen when I record onto the SD card in the recorder, just when recording on the computer. I needed to test a few things to see if it was the program - mostly Cubase - or the Zoom R16. I found this happened in all recording apps so concluded it must be a recorder issue so that is why I came here. I have 8 inputs coming from another soundboard but as I said, that can't be the issue since it records fine when not recording to the computer. I have tried recording to a Windows 7 computer when I first got the recorder (probably a year or more ago) and I believe I had the same issue then. That computer kept freezing in the middle of recording so I quit the recording to computer until I got my Mac Mini. Somebody wondered if maybe the surge protector needs a filter on it so hopefully I can try that next Sunday but am scared that won't work. Does anyone know what else to try? I have also tried different USB cables.

ps. I just listened to the link I posted. It is a lower quality mp3 than the original recording but I noticed there isn't as much crackling as the original although there is some. You will need to listen for at least 15-20 seconds to get a drift of what I am talking about. The original recording is very bad for crackling.
0 x

gtrdrt
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Crackling sound in recording

Post by gtrdrt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:28 am

I'm pretty sure it's not interference, a surge protector problem, or a defective R16. I listened to the audio clip, and it is a very familiar sound. I usually get it when the audio buffer size is too small. Whatever the underlying problem is that's causing it for you, I'm fairly sure there's a solution for it and that someone here will help you find it. I don't know much about Macs, so that someone isn't me. I just wanted to get to you before you smashed your R16. Don't do that. :)
0 x

antonio.s
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by antonio.s » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 am

It's the infamous 10.6.8 bug. I have it as well, every R16/r24 + Mac user is experiencing this. We're all waiting for a driver fix or a Mac OS fix.
In the meanwhile you can only record with R16 in stand alone mode, or either switch to a different interface.
This is the reason why I registered on this forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15805227#15805227
0 x
[urlx=http://zoomforum.us/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=77293]My Studio Setup[/urlx]

danieladamsmith
new to this board
new to this board

Post by danieladamsmith » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:37 am

Yeah I have this problem as well...waiting for the update...I thought it was buffer size, etc....

It sucks.
0 x

antonio.s
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by antonio.s » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:23 am

danieladamsmith wrote:Yeah I have this problem as well...waiting for the update...I thought it was buffer size, etc....

It sucks.
Yeah, it sucks, but at least when you know what it is you stop wasting precious time trying to fix it yourself and assuming there's something wrong in your setup.
0 x
[urlx=http://zoomforum.us/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=77293]My Studio Setup[/urlx]

Bardkin
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by Bardkin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Just out of curiosity- I am a pc user and have had similar instances which I traced down to the usb interface. I had a usb hub that had both usb 1 AND usb 2. Soon as I changed to the on-board usb the problems went away.
0 x

cromulent
new to this board
new to this board

Post by cromulent » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:22 pm

I have a similar problem, but it's oddly intermittent:

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17036

So it seems like I should NOT sent my H2 back to Zoom for repair--it's my iMac that has the problem?

Evan
0 x

cyrano
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by cyrano » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

antonio.s wrote:It's the infamous 10.6.8 bug. I have it as well, every R16/r24 + Mac user is experiencing this.
I'm on 10.6.8 with driver 1.3.0. No problem, even with long recordings...

This doesn't mean there's no problem, of course. Just that it is not EVERY 10.6.8 user out there. Also, someone posted a link to a beta driver on this forum which seems to have solved the problem for him. An updated driver should be available 2nd half of october.
0 x

drmdzh
new to this board
new to this board

Post by drmdzh » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Just wanted to let you all know, I had this same problem - a lot of "crackle" using the R16 as an interface. AS I had bought this specifically to use as an interface (and DAW control) I was pretty miffed. However, someone posted this: https://public.me.com/lx93 in a thread about OS Lion, so I tried it (I am running 10.6.8) and it works great now... no noise!!

I never have solutions to problems in forums, always just asking for help... so glad I could throw a bone out there for once!!
0 x

mactreouser
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mactreouser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:07 am

cyrano wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm
antonio.s wrote:It's the infamous 10.6.8 bug. I have it as well, every R16/r24 + Mac user is experiencing this.
I'm on 10.6.8 with driver 1.3.0. No problem, even with long recordings...

This doesn't mean there's no problem, of course. Just that it is not EVERY 10.6.8 user out there. Also, someone posted a link to a beta driver on this forum which seems to have solved the problem for him. An updated driver should be available 2nd half of october.
I was/am facing this issue too. In fact, as you can understand from the official website: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/produc ... #downloads There is only 1.12 version of Driver provided?! Where did you grab the 1.3.0? I would like to give it a shot! Appreciate!

Btw, I'm still with Mac OS 10.6.8
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 am

FYI: the only thing with a version 1.12 is the device firmware. The Mac driver on the site is version 1.5.0.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

mactreouser
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mactreouser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 am
FYI: the only thing with a version 1.12 is the device firmware. The Mac driver on the site is version 1.5.0.
Thanks man!
Now I realized that I missed something! Btw, however, what I can found from the site was only 1.12 Firmware Update Download File...
Where should I get the Mac Driver 1.5.0 version? I only googled this: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/audio- ... c-OS.shtml , should I proceeding? It wasn't from Zoom Official Site!

Still, I'm still with Mac OS 10.6.8, does 1.5.0 supports?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:05 pm

mactreouser wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 am

Where should I get the Mac Driver 1.5.0 version? I only googled this: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/audio- ... c-OS.shtml , should I proceeding? It wasn't from Zoom Official Site!

It was the last entry under drivers -- but... It is not rated for your older OS...

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... .5.0_0.zip
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

mactreouser
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mactreouser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Wulfraed wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:05 pm
mactreouser wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 am

It was the last entry under drivers -- but... It is not rated for your older OS...

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... .5.0_0.zip
Thanks for your prompted reply!
As your suggestion/advices, should I just give it a try?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 am

At this stage I have no experience -- how difficult would it be to reverse the installation? Possibly it won't even start to install if it checks the OS version first.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

mactreouser
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mactreouser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:48 am

Wulfraed wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 am
At this stage I have no experience -- how difficult would it be to reverse the installation? Possibly it won't even start to install if it checks the OS version first.
:? :cry:

So, your R16 doesn't have that issue?
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I don't have a Mac -- so totally different drivers (which I need to install -- had a hard-drive failure in December with the result that I had to go to a clean Win10Pro install as there was no Win7 reinstall media with the computer)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed