Tenor Madness/Cover/REAPER...and a video

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
surfercook
The Force
The Force

Tenor Madness/Cover/REAPER...and a video

Post by surfercook » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:49 pm

I hadn't opened REAPER in months, I think since b4 I upgraded to Windows 10. Took quite a while to update the drivers for the Line6 UX2, like an hour w/a few restarts. Finally got it working. First RECing in months for me. I wasn't even gonna post because it's def sub par as far as a proper RECing, but at least I started getting motivated. Been playin' a ton of jazz...as usual. Trying get at some Be-Bop and they are NOT so easy to master. This one's on the easier side.

My Les Paul on rhythm and lead. Fender bass and EZ Drummer holdin' it up.
Tenor Madness

Also included a pretty raw video of me and a buddy I've been practicing w/regular. He nails "A Foggy Day" pretty good except for a coupla minor mistakes. We did like 5 takes b4 this one. Video is right off my Panasonic Luminex fz70 bridge camera. Hoping to break out the old MRS-8 one day soon for a remote RECing w/better audio. I'll definitely have to dig out the manual and take a refresher for it!
A Foggy Day
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Tenor Madness/Cover/REAPER...and a video

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:52 am

Marc, I love the tone you are getting out of your Les Paul. Tenor is a nice piece although if there was bass in it I can't hear it all through my computer speakers. It sounds like a fun song to play. The foggy day vocals are a bit buried in that mix so I couldn't really enjoy them. Again your guitar playing is right on. Glenn
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:14 am

I like both. Your buddy has a nice voice, please put a mic close to him next time, you are clearly a very good jazz guitarist. Tenor madness brings back memories, some jazz playing friends tried to get me to learn it and play it ages ago, I don't think I was ever as good as you though. Excellent jazz guitar tone and playing, the bass sounds slightly weird though, what are you using for the bass sound?
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

voclizr
The Force
The Force

Post by voclizr » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 am

Man, it's great to hear you playing again! :clap: I was getting worried that your accident with your finger messed you up permanently, but obviously that's not the case. I was going to PM you to see how you were doing but now I don't have to. I bet it took lots of therapy to get you up and running again, but with your love of music I know you were persistent.

I like the Rollins piece. I'm somewhat familiar with his approach but your slower version works well too. That's part of "making it your own" which I love to hear when people cover other peoples' work. I must say that I found the "Foggy Day" video more interesting. Your friend has a good voice and his chops on the bone are nice too. Very entertaining. I know there a many little clubs on LBI. Keep working on this and try to take it out next vacation season. ;) :^:
0 x
John B
Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitors.
Sonar X3 Studio, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings, Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Trillan Bass Module

My Soundclick
My Bandcamp

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:45 am

Thanx Lungfruit, geeny, and voc for the quick replies and comments. Nice to have some feedback. Especially the bass thing. I really need to swap out the strings on my bass. They are like 4 yrs old!

As far as my finger rehab. I've pretty much done nothing rehab wise except just continue to play alot. It was really bad a coupla months ago as the pain was migrating to the other finger(s). Like I posted a while ago, someone told me it took them 2 full yrs for their dislocated finger to return to a normal state. So hopefully by September 2017 it'll be gtg.

The tone off my Les Paul is from Amplitude's Fender Studio. It's the '65 Deluxe w/verb dialed to around a three. Also I roll back the highs a bit to give it a warmer sound from the neck pup.

I managed another quicky RECing the other day using a VSTi. It was a real challenge to get my YouRockGuitar up and running as the ASIO wasn't putting out audio. The faders were all active but no sound was coming out of the pc speakers. Took me a while to figure out it was a Windows setting and nothing in REAPER. First time I picked up the YRG in ages and it was fun to do an acoustic bass track for some more authentic jazz sounds. It's another cover of a sweet be-bop.

Cookin'
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Very good, Marc. Good to hear and see you recording.

The audio was nice. I too loved the tone on the guitar. Nice drums (program?) too.

The video was fun. It was interesting watching your finger work on the guitar. Good work. You musical partner has an easy presentation that works with the song. Nice trombone (?).

Keep 'em coming!
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Wolfini
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Wolfini » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Marc!

Great sound and playing! I totally admire you for being able to play jazz... listening to it is as far as I manage. ;-)

Nice playing session with your friend. Must be great to have someone with a thrombone accessible. :)

Bye Wolfi
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:45 am

The Cracks wrote: Good to hear and see you recording. Nice drums (program?) Nice trombone (?)
Thanx, Cracky! It def was a bit of a challenge to REC something again. It had been almost a year! Drums are EZ Drummer, not EZDrmmer2. I wonder what the difference is. And yes, my buddy is playing trombone in the video. That thing is NOT easy to play!
Wolfini wrote: Must be great to have someone with a trombone accessible.
It really is nice to have a place to jam. Especially w/someone who has a horn. Brass instruments are not exactly quiet. We keep it pretty low key and try to keep the volume at a respectable level so as to not annoy the neighbors. Thanx for scoping my post(s).
0 x

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Final jam w/my buddy. He loses the summer rental house for the winter. I'm hoping to head to his place in Philadelphia for some sessions.

Darn That Dream
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
PC=quad core I5,7200 1TB SATA HD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics card, RAIDMAX|HELIOS Tower, 8GB RAM, 1TB ExtHD
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube