Zoom R24 - Inputs 7 + 8

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
brndn1
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R24 - Inputs 7 + 8

Post by brndn1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:29 am

Hello, I am currently using the Zoom R24 to record my drumkit. Right now I am using all 8 inputs for different mics around the kit. Inputs 1-6 are working fine, but inputs 7+8 are not working. I know about the switch in between inputs 7+8 for the built-in mics.
What I want to be able to do is record using the xlr cables I have attached to the inputs (1-8) and not the 2 builts in mics for inputs 7+8.
eJwVzMsNwyAMANBdGAC7fAJkG0QQoQo1wu6p6u5tpHd-H_Vel9rVKTJ5Bzg6F1qHZqGVW9WNqF01z8660IAskss56ksYjA0u2i0YNB5tjC6BxUfy6GL6Qxe8N9DH3TxnU98fwC0h1w.jpg
That is the current set-up I have. Sometimes I use it as an interface as well but again, only inputs 1-6 work and record the mics while 7+8 will either record the built-in Zoom R24 mics or record nothing (depending on if that knob between 7+8 is turned off or on.)

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Zoom R24 - Inputs 7 + 8

Post by mikethebass » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Do you always use the same mics on 7 and 8? If so have you tried different mics and cables?

In the picture the input gain on 7 and 8 is set at zero. Does bringing the gain on 7 and 8 help?

7 and 8 aren't phantom powered is this the problem?
0 x

brndn1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by brndn1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi, thank you for the response!

Hello! I fixed the issue partially, 7/8 of the inputs will work, only one from 8/8!

Phantom power: I think this is the problem, I have 3 Condenser mics, 2 of them being overhead mics and one Hi-hat mic. Two of them are currently working through inputs 5 + 6, they actually have phantom power being provided to them and the other does not. That raises one more question for me, is there anyway to get phantom power on the other condenser mic using an external source but still connect it through the Zoom R24?
0 x

brndn1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by brndn1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:41 pm

I originally had my overhead mics in inputs 7+8 which did not have phantom power, and that is why they did not work!
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:45 am

There are a few possible solutions. The 2 (out of 3) condensor mics requiring phantom power are receiving it from inputs 5 and 6.

Can you swap that 3rd condensor mic for a dynamic mic instead...then it can go into input 7 or 8 and not require phantom power ? If you absolutely need a 3rd condensor mic, does it have provision to run from an internal battery ?

The Rode NT4 stereo mic (great for overheads !) can run from an internal 9volt battery, and some other types can run off an internal 1.5 volt cell ?
If these approaches don't work, you could either: 1) borrow or buy a dedicated phantom power unit, and then take an XLR line out of that to input 7/8

Or...2) you could borrow a small mixer, connect the condensor mic to that, engage phantom power and take a 1/4" line out from the mixer output into the Zoom, as a line level input.

If you can't source a mixer, then borrow a friend's audio interface (that a person would typically use for home recording, even with just 2 inputs) would do the job just fine....just connect the mic, engage phantom power and take a line output (or the headphone line out) to your Zoom mic input 7 or 8
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 am

Something like: http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MX54s might be of use (though the upper frequency response is a bit short of what most microphones peak at).

While meant for three inputs, mixed to stereo, I'm fairly certain panning two hard left/right should be close to the equivalent of a straight through...
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

MoonBassAlpha
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MoonBassAlpha » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 am

Hold on. Phantom power is available on inputs 3 through 8, 5 and 6 being always on, the others you have to enable from the tools>system>phantom menu.
If you only have 3 condensors, you should be able to power them from any of the channels apart from 1 or 2.
Or are you saying that the Zoom can't supply enough current to run your 3 mics?

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood the issue, I'm new here and new to the R24 in particular :)
Cheers
MBA
0 x
R24, MRS1608, (MRS1266 -For Sale)

brndn1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by brndn1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:02 pm

@MoonBassAlpha: Holy smokes, I did not know that! That was my issue, I thought only inputs 5+6 had phantom power. I did not know that you could change channels 3+4 and 7+8 to also get phantom power with the R24, that is cool! Thank you!

@mikethebass: Your post reminded me that condenser microphones do require phantom power, thank you!

@hoodoo voodoo,
@ Wulfraed: Thank you for the suggestions, I am actually looking in to a dedicated phantom power unit as well, I will look into it.

To sum it up, I was using all 8 inputs for the Zoom R24 (using drum microphones). I have 5 dynamic mics and 3 condenser mics, I forgot that condenser mics require phantom power to operate. Inputs 5+6 on the Zoom have a phantom power switch on the board, thus, I thought the Zoom only had 2 phantom power inputs so only 2 out of the 3 condenser mics would work. It turns out that you can also give phantom power to inputs 3+4 and 7+8 by going through the Zoom R24 interface options. That was my problem. Now I can record all 8 microphones at once!

I want to thank you guys for helping me out, I appreciate it!

Side question, what kind of DAW would you guys recommend editing the tracks in?
I am just starting to learn to edit.

Thanks again everyone!
0 x

brndn1
new to this board
new to this board

Post by brndn1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Sorry, I meant "mix" not "edit".
0 x

MoonBassAlpha
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MoonBassAlpha » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:15 am

I'm glad you're back on track ( :) ) .I've had good help on here already and it's nice to put a little back so soon.

I'm also interested in daw recommendations, maybe a new thread for that?
Over at the recording forum on "Basschat", I know Reaper gets a lot of love as a well featured free/low subscription offering. Never used one myself, so I can't comment, but am all ears!
MBA
0 x

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:42 am

If you have a mac, try garage band that came free with it. It's not a bad software for a total beginner. If not, do you have some other software that came free with your hardware? Cubase LE usually is free with Zoom recorders. If you have nothing you can even use Audacity though it is not the best software for mixing, more of an editor.

It's worth learning what you have even if it is a limited/light edition before deciding whether to upgrade to something else.
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

MoonBassAlpha
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by MoonBassAlpha » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:42 am

I'd also be interested to know if you use an 8x compression setting, and what gives you the most satisfactory drum sound recorded. I'm still playing around with my settings.
0 x

hoodoo voodoo

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 am

Doh...I'm so used to having to workaround the ch5 + 6 only phantom issue in my R16, I forgot the R24 had 8 channels of phantom ! Glad you got it solved via the collective wisdom here :clap:

I'm a fan of Reaper, but it has a lot of customization which can be overwhelming to a beginner, the upside is that there are many, many great video tutorials, especially those by Kenny Gioia ('Reaper Mania')

You could also begin with Cubase if that came bundled with the R24, or Audacity is quite simple to get a handle on. After you commit to one, I say stay with it...as while they all do basically the same things, the quirks of each are not necessarily easy to transfer across to another platform
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:17 am

brndn1 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:02 pm
To sum it up, I was using all 8 inputs for the Zoom R24 (using drum microphones). I have 5 dynamic mics and 3 condenser mics, I forgot that condenser mics require phantom power to operate. Inputs 5+6 on the Zoom have a phantom power switch on the board, thus, I thought the Zoom only had 2 phantom power inputs so only 2 out of the 3 condenser mics would work. It turns out that you can also give phantom power to inputs 3+4 and 7+8 by going through the Zoom R24 interface options. That was my problem. Now I can record all 8 microphones at once!
In my defense -- I own an R16, which really does have phantom power ONLY on 5/6, so the subtlety of the horizontal line on the R24 covering 3-8 was overlooked. In my head, the difference from the R16 is just the added track bank, and that is mostly because the added rhythm system (track sequencer) sucks up so many tracks.
Side question, what kind of DAW would you guys recommend editing the tracks in?
I am just starting to learn to edit.
That, I can /not/ help with... I bought the BOSS BR-600 as a novelty, the HD16 was bought with the intent (never realized) of recording surround sound situations for /video/ usage. The R16 followed as the HD16 is just too massive for "field" recording, being tied to wall power. The BR-800 then came about with the intent to replace the -600 (the -600 is limited to only 1GB CF cards) -- that fell through as the -800 dropped the pitch-map pitch corrector feature of the -600.

While I have a variety of candidate editors*, my primary is the (former Sony) Vegas Pro. Yes, that is sold as a video editor -- but Vegas started life as an audio editor that gained video capability. Cubase LE came with the HD16 as I recall, but I was never able to get it registered/activated.

* Cakewalk Sonar LE (came with one of my various products, Creative Wave Studio 7 (sound card), Sound Forge Pro 11 (bonus for an earlier release of Vegas Pro)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

DAW Recommendations

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Glad to read you got your issue resolved with using a condenser microphone on channels 7 & 8. I don't have a R24 and would not have thought of looking at track menu settings.

You asked about DAW recommendations. I agree with what you've been told so far, start with what you've got before looking to collect more. The R24 ships with Cubase LE, Cubase is one of the most mature software DAWs available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... io_editors is a page that compares many of the DAWs and wave editors currently available. It has the website for each listed product so you can find more information.

Much depends on what your interests are and your workflow. For instance, I know you may want to record eight tracks at the same time, some DAWs limit the number of recording tracks to two so those DAWs likely won't meet your needs. If you also record keyboard you might want to record both the keyboard stereo audio and the midi outputs. Again, some DAWs will not allow you to record both midi and audio at the same time. Do you anticipate making beats? Some DAWs handle beat creation easier than others.

Two DAWs I find interesting are Cakewalk's Sonar Home Studio, http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR-Home-Studio and Bremmers Audio Design's MultiTrack Studio, http://www.multitrackstudio.com/. Both programs have a small footprint, are not cpu intensive and work well with both audio and midi.

If you are interested in creating audio tracks you can practice to, or in making backing tracks, you might want to consider PG Music's DAW, RealBand. RealBand ships free with the Windows version of Band-in-a-Box. http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.features.htm
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

mikethebass
dues paid
dues paid

Post by mikethebass » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 am

Based on my own experience I'd suggest using Audacity as an editor both for multi tracks and mixes. You would probably find it very limiting very quickly if you try use it for mixing.
My preference is for Reaper as mixing / midi software. Prior to that I had used Logic 9 (Mac only) in a local studio. Both packages seem to have very similar functions.
0 x

pacificlnd
new to this board
new to this board

Newbie - phantom power. R-16

Post by pacificlnd » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:35 am

Disregard this post.
Last edited by pacificlnd on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x