Zoom H1 Crackle

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
bermanc
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H1 Crackle

Post by bermanc » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi guys,

I am having some issues with my Zoom H1. Recently it has developed a distinct crackling noise during recording. Sounds like it might be electrical. I've updated the firmware but it made no difference.

Here's the link to a sample recording:

https://soundcloud.com/chas-berman/zoomh1-noise

Is it possible for someone to let me know whether this might be fixable, or if my H1 is dead?

Thanks.
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Re: Zoom H1 Crackle

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 am

In the words of Number 2: Information. We want... Information

You haven't provided enough background information -- what settings were in use, what environment you were in, how was the unit supported.

Has it been used near moisture spray? (Close mic'ed to a spitty singer). Condenser elements are quite sensitive to moisture. Bounced around in a shirt pocket (I'd expect a few more thumps if recorded while bouncing around, but...) that may have jarred the elements.

Since the level controls are in the digital realm, it isn't a case of noisy potentiometers (I've had radios that snap/crackle/pop badly until the volume control has been swept back and forth for a few minutes).

Unfortunately, the nature of these devices is such that even Zoom probably doesn't really repair them -- beyond obvious damage/loose wires on the elements themselves, the rest is likely a circuit card swap while under warranty. Zoom does not make parts available, so any general radio/TV repair shop would be limited to maybe swapping in similar microphone capsules, and looking for broken solder traces (though with SMT, even that isn't easy).
2 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Daveozog
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Daveozog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 am

Hi Guys - I have just joined the forum can you give me a thumbs up if you can see this post please - I am beginning to think I don't exist.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 am

Daveozog wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 am
Hi Guys - I have just joined the forum can you give me a thumbs up if you can see this post please - I am beginning to think I don't exist.
Hi Daveozog, :rock: Your post is seen. Why do you think you don't exist?

Your previous posts concern the G5 pedal. Not many forum users have the pedal. I don't and have no interest in the pedal so i don't respond to G5 pedal posts.
0 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

bermanc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bermanc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Wulfraed wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 am
In the words of Number 2: Information. We want... Information

You haven't provided enough background information -- what settings were in use, what environment you were in, how was the unit supported.

Has it been used near moisture spray? (Close mic'ed to a spitty singer). Condenser elements are quite sensitive to moisture. Bounced around in a shirt pocket (I'd expect a few more thumps if recorded while bouncing around, but...) that may have jarred the elements.

Since the level controls are in the digital realm, it isn't a case of noisy potentiometers (I've had radios that snap/crackle/pop badly until the volume control has been swept back and forth for a few minutes).

Unfortunately, the nature of these devices is such that even Zoom probably doesn't really repair them -- beyond obvious damage/loose wires on the elements themselves, the rest is likely a circuit card swap while under warranty. Zoom does not make parts available, so any general radio/TV repair shop would be limited to maybe swapping in similar microphone capsules, and looking for broken solder traces (though with SMT, even that isn't easy).
OK, sorry for the limited info.

Unit was in my bedroom, on a small flexi tripod. Input level of 60 (crackle is present at all levels of recording). Unit hasn't been exposed to any moisture, nor has it had any rough treatment since last used.

I'm thinking this one might be for the bin.

Cheers!
0 x

Wulfraed
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 am

Out of ideas then... If it were an H5/H6 you'd have been able to test the capsules by swapping the microphone plug-in; but not on any of the other units (the H2/H2n could partly test by changing from front to back elements, but if the all the elements in the unit were involved that wouldn't prove anything)
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX; Ovation CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

bermanc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bermanc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Thanks for taking the time anyhow :)
0 x

Denis247
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Denis247 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am

As already mentioned above, the capsules are susceptible to moisture. Try placing the H1 in a plastic bag with some dried rice for a day or two, better would be silica-gel bags, but Rice isn't too bad. This should pull any excess moisture out. Not guaranteed, but it's worth a try.
2 x

bermanc
new to this board
new to this board

Post by bermanc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Guys - I'm so grateful! The rice in a bag trick worked! Not sure how moisture could have invaded the capsules but clearly it did.

With thanks,
bermanc
1 x

Denis247
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Denis247 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 am

bermanc wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:19 pm
Guys - I'm so grateful! The rice in a bag trick worked! Not sure how moisture could have invaded the capsules but clearly it did.

With thanks,
bermanc
And as a bonus you get to keep the rice and use it with a nice curry!.

Seriously, don't throw away those little silica-gel bags you get when you buy things, or even buy some more, and keep a couple with all your electronic kit. Don't forget to dry them in a warm oven from time to time.
1 x